It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2004, 06:30 PM   #1
(female)

Izzybella HB User
Anyone with neck/shoulder knots & problems carrying things?

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Old 07-04-2004, 04:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: Anyone with neck/shoulder knots & problems carrying things?

This is my worse area of pain, neck shoulder and left arm pain. I am left handed and often wonder if this is the reason for the pain. I bought small purses that you can only carry the essentials and even they aggrivate the area.I also get pain in the front of my shoulder, I refer to it as my bra strap pain, follows my strap down from the shoulder into or to the breast also goes in under my arm. carrying a purse makes the area hurt more. I am a pocket person anymore, shove everything in my pockets. It is like I am round shouldered any more as the purse keeps sliding off my shoulder also, my chiro told me I have shoulder drop from the way I carry myself to compensate for pain.

You are not alone, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi Izzy--

I carry a backpack with me very often. I also have the problems with the knots in my neck and shoulders. It's not only uncomfortable, but painful.
Today it was so bad I had to leave the backpack in the car or let my wife carry it. (It's got all my meds in it).

The muscles in my arms are out. I feel like I can't carry anything and feel like my neck isn't even holding my head up OK.

The only suggestion is the one I'm taking for myself: rest, icepack, not carrying everything, doing very little and waiting it out. I've also got a tennis ball to put up against the wall and rub my shoulders along it. (It does help).

Sorry you have this problem, too.

Ed

Old 07-05-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi There,

I have the same problem. My purse has gotten smaller and lighter over the years. I try to carry things with my hand instead as often as possible. But that has it's own problems.

Some people think they are tacky but if you really need to go out and can't carry a bag, fanny packs work great. You can get a black leather one or something that looks a little more stylish.

Hope that helps...

Old 07-05-2004, 08:29 PM   #5

usedtobefrosty HB User

The two things I love over all else for carrying things are:
Cargo pants and Jackets
Small hand bags or a large wallet.

For larger items I have a really cool backpack. I got it from Mountain Equipment Co-Op (one of their own bags). It's a slingpack (only goes over one shoulder). That was I can hang it on whatever shoudler is bugging me the least. It's got great back support. The coolest part about the bag is this: It actually stays on by a really wide, soft waist belt. The shoulder strap is only there to stabilize the bag and keep it upright.

MEC is a Canadain company so I don't know how much luck everyone else will have with them, but you should be able to find something similar in a mountaineering or sports related store near you.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:13 PM   #6
(female)

Izzybella HB User

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

i get this too but havent been diagnosed with fibro, not been suggested. Is it common symptom? my shoulders and arms and necks killing today!

Old 07-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #8
(female)

mollymadison HB User

My neck and shoulder area has hurt me for many years. The knots, cramps, and tension are tremendously painful. I have even attended physical therapy 3 times for this problem. This is before I was dx'd with fibro. The pain is not as bad right now because I do not sit at the computer for very long.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

im hoping my problem is fibro as it will explain alot of things. What are main symptoms for fibro and what causes it?

Old 07-07-2004, 01:33 PM   #10
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi--

There are many 'causes' of Fibromyalgia, although they are non-specific in the medical community. There are lots of theories from mycoplasmas in the blood to trauma in one's life.

One of the best definitions I've read of the symptoms is that Fibromyalgia means 'hurting all over'. True. There are eighteen trigger points and much can radiate from there and we end up with all kinds of secondary symptoms that are just as bad as this debilitating disease.

I know I didn't answer your question fully, but I'm hoping you'll get more posts to your question and that you do some research all over the net.
You'll see how controversial Fibromyalgia can be.

Ed

Old 07-07-2004, 07:52 PM   #11

snslilly HB User

I also have terrible pain in my neck and shoulders. The only time I carry a purse anymore is if I'm going in somewhere that has a buggy I can place it in and sometimes not even then. I have found too that by carrying a small purse with the strap across the chest alleviates some of the pressure on the shoulders. The pain in my shoulders has gotten so bad that I can't even stand for my husband to rub my shoulders anymore no matter how gentle his is rubbing. As soon as he puts his hands on my shoulders, I jump out of my skin because the pain is so unbearable.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:44 PM   #12
Inactive

lammys HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybella
Hi,

Was just wondering if many of you suffer from knots on your shoulders and neck and have problems carrying a purse or bag over your shoulder? I'm at the point where I can't handle anything touching my shoulders. Purses and bags really pull my neck too. Any suggestions?
Sometimes just wearing a necklace makes my neck hurt and it starts to get painful and stings? Is anyone else this sensitive?!

Old 07-23-2004, 01:02 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

I sure am, sometimes I have to take my necklace off. I cannot wear heavy clothing, it feels like pressure plus pain. My collar bone and the upper front left shoulder area is always so sore. I cannot even stand the shower hitting me there, I have so many sore spots, that rurn into pain very easy.

Thought I was the only one, was reluctant to post this.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 07-23-2004, 01:16 PM   #14
Inactive

lammys HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa235
I sure am, sometimes I have to take my necklace off. I cannot wear heavy clothing, it feels like pressure plus pain. My collar bone and the upper front left shoulder area is always so sore. I cannot even stand the shower hitting me there, I have so many sore spots, that rurn into pain very easy.

Thought I was the only one, was reluctant to post this.

Linda
pa235, My pains are also much more intense in the left shoulder area. When I get out of bed it is SO tight there, it literally feels like they're ripping! ARGH!!!!! Thank you for responding! It helps make me feel much more "normal" and human*BIG HUGZ*****

Old 07-23-2004, 02:16 PM   #15
(female)

DecLady HB User
Most days I don't carry anything for long...

This is a more recent problem for me..but I notice more and more I can't have a purse on my shoulder for long...but then I find I can't even carry it in my arms for any length of time..as my arms ache..my hands ache...and when I finally can set it down I can have pain for a long while. I had to carry my shih tzu for about 20 minutes the other day, long story why...but when I finally could get in the house and put her down...I could hardly move my arms! After a bit they felt soooo heavy...and achey...it was just miserable...Not the first time for that...but I try to not do things that will put me there! This is just one of the parts of this illness that is hard to deal with...So, don't feel like you are the only one..you aren't!

Closed Thread