It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2004, 10:02 PM   #1
(female)

Izzybella HB User
FMS and weight gain

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
Inactive

taurus3 HB User
Re: FMS and weight gain

Hi IzzyBella, I have gained weight over the years from fibro. I don't know if it's the fibro exactly or the inability to be aerobic. It's not that my heart can't go fast, my body can't. My muscles and joints and such get more inflamed and painful if I try to do a hard workout. I have to do things that are NO IMPACT. Another reason for weight gain has been medications. Elavil is a bad culprit. I gained 10 pounds in a week once from Celebrex.

Over the last two years I've managed to drop 30 pounds and will continue to do so I believe after I have my baby (7 months along). It took a long time to find exercise that helped me without hurting me. What works best for me is a combo of lots of different activities. And I also eat better. The dietary thing is tough because everybody has different needs there. I have chronic runs so I can't eat as much fruit and veggies as I would like. Sometimes salad, which I love, will make me throw up. It's been nice while I'm pregnant because that constipation factor allows me to eat all the fruit and veggies I can.

But I eat more protein and make sure I get enough fiber, water and I still eat carbs. But I try to eat carbs that have protein in it. Like cereal with soy protein. Whole grains instead of white breads.

And I also eliminated medications that made me gain weight or swell up. I think fibro people can carry anywhere from 10 to 30 pounds of water from inflammation and edema. Taking Uva Ursi or Dandelion Root can help with swelling. Just ask at the health food store.

Hope that helps. Oh for exercise I do yoga, swimming, therapy ball and a weekly belly dancing class. The belly dancing helps strengthen my core muscles like Pilates does, but I don't have to lie down to do it.

I just started and I love it, I'm never sore. And it makes me sweat a little and gets my hear rate going. I can do it barefoot so my feet don't hurt.

Don't beat yourself up about your weight gain. You'll find your own style.

-Andy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2004, 10:55 AM   #3
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
Re: FMS and weight gain

Hi--

I've gained weight and supposedly it's cause by the medicine and hypothyroidism. And, of course, I'm not as active as I used to be.

I went on Atkins and lost 12 pounds in three months. Whoopeee!

I wasn't satisfied so when off of Atkins and gained the 12 pounds back.

I've decided that the only thing that will help me fight weight gain is to simply limit what I eat. Also I take 6 tablespoons of psyllium 100% husk to get it all going smoothly.

So--I go days only nibbling on things. I've done it before and lost fifteen pounds. I've got a goal of being 169 pounds and will work on it, but I gained the weight since being sick. It doesn't look too bad on me 'cause I'm tall, but I don't like the way I feel and i can't fit into any of my pants.

So--I'm limiting all I eat and have set my goal even lower than Atkins--back to 169. I did it on Slimfast then and may have to give one of those powders from the health food store another try.

I know the Fibromyalgia has been the thing that has had me gain weight.
And like you, I'm not too happy about it. One diet didn't work, so I'll try some fasting.

And you're right--the thyroid problem makes it doubly difficult.

Ed

Old 07-09-2004, 04:57 PM   #4

kovena HB User
Arrow Re: FMS and weight gain

I think the weight gain really adds to my depression too. It causes such inactivity, which causes more weight gain....like a rollercoaster I go. I had the surgery for GERD 2 years ago and lost 40 pounds. I have since gained almost every pound back and I hardly eat anything. My stomach is much smaller now. The GERD surgery was not to lose weight, but to stop stomach acid from burning my lungs any longer. And that worked. One of the side affects was weight loss due to not being able to swallow anything but fluids for 3-4 months, so I lived on Apple cider. But I went down to 127 pounds and threw all my BIG clothes away. Got all new "Little" ones that I can't even think of wearing anymore. I am 152 pounds now. It sucks. I have no clothes that fit except a few dresses I found in the back of the closet that I bought 3 years ago. They are Maternity because that was all i could wear due to the bloating. Now thats back too and I feel like S***! To bad I am always so constipated from IBS and that makes me bloat too, along with water retention, and hypothyroidism. God What a mess we are LOL! If it weren't so bad I would laugh harder but it hurts to laugh I am on MS Contin 60 mgs every 6 hrs around the clock with MSIR for breakthrough. It makes it so I cannot sleep. I have been on it for 2 days now and cannot sleep it makes me so hyper? Go Figure...I am on a dose that would flatten a 200 pound 6 foot man and I can't sleep from it. Sheesh. I went from Fentanyl, which was such a problem that I was in constant withdrawl from it UGH to the MS Contin. Hopefully as my body adjusts I will be able to sleep. It has helped the pain level go down to 3 WOWOWOW! I don't think I was ever at 3 in my life!!!! But I am so darn tired and yet my eyes go wide open if I try to sleep...OH...and the hallucinations are a real pisser! I get them at night as I try to sleep. I have Cat Angels come visit me and they purr me into a twilight like sleep...LOL! I have 9(Real) Cats but I can't have them in my room because if I let one in I have to let them all in and then no room on bed for me LOL! So I am visited by Cat Angels!!! Boy do they seem real though. Last night one named JP came and purred right by my ear and I had my arm in the air resting on his back as I petted him. For over an hour...what a picture that must have been LOLOL! hey, it has been years since I could even hold my arm in the air and here I do it for an hour on a Cat Angel!!!!OHMAN!
Well...Keep on Keeping on and "Above All Do No Harm!"
Love and Light to all...Kovena

Closed Thread