It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2004, 02:23 PM   #1
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
How Do You Cope?

Most of us have extreme pain all the time with some periods of relief.
The disease affects the entire body and we have so many side symptoms that go with it. And may of us have symptoms from other disorders.

My question is (looking for a simple answer): How do you cope? What is your main coping mechanism?

I'm not even sure what mine is anymore.

Ed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2004, 04:41 PM   #2

kathy372001 HB User
Re: How Do You Cope?

Ed,
have you ever noticed that once you find something that does help it only helps for a short amount of time and then we have to start all over again.
I found the chiro helps me when Im in sever pain then it was the hot tub now Im not sure anymore the natural pills I was taking have such side affects that Ive had to cut the amount I was taking in half so that doesnt help. Im feeling alittle better but I know that any time I could have a flare up like I did last week and I really dont wont to be that bad again.
Keep me posted ED if you find out anything that really works and that will work for more then just a week or two.
Kathy
arthritis
IBS
wheelchair 2003

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2004, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

singerja1999 HB User

Hi Ed,
I am really just new to fibro. In fact, my rheumy just thought about it last week. My water therapist and I knew it long before. I will however, tell you what I do. First of all, I pray and I am extremely thankful when I have a good day. Today was one of those. I also do weight training, water therapy and acupunture. I am taking something to help me sleep as I know how important that is.
I wish you the very best of luck, Ed. Let us know if you happen to stumble upon some other things. Jackie

Old 07-10-2004, 09:47 AM   #4
(female)

oholland HB User

Ed,

I thank God that I found this board and have people who understand to share with. It's so hard when you're constantly searching for an answer and the pain is unbearable. It's a lonely existance. I've always believed that if we can keep remembering the good things in our lives and have a determination to overcome that somehow we will succeed.

Best of luck,
Olivia

Old 07-12-2004, 06:33 AM   #5
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Thanks for the responses. Like you, I still travel that journey through pain.
I guess we're all looking for that 'magic bullet' that will take care of everything.

Maybe someday they'll come up with a 'cure' or successful treatment for Fibromyalgia.

Right now, all any of us can do is cope. And---yes, it is better to come here for support. I know of nobody who has Fibromyalgia. Just me.
So, being here gives me a lot of support and I'm glad the board is here.

Ed

Old 07-12-2004, 08:58 AM   #6
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

I love this board and the people here. It has helped me so much nad it feels good to be able to help someone else too. I also draw strength and pain tolerance from enjoying my son and the precious time I'm getting to spend with him because I'm home. He is a very joyful child. Makes everyone smile. He can be a little monster sometimes but for the most part he is so much fun.

As for pain I try auto suggestion when I can't have drugs. And sometimes I just sleep it all away, even stress.

- Andy

Old 07-24-2004, 11:37 AM   #7

kovena HB User
Lightbulb Re: How Do You Cope?

I can't even find the words to express how grateful to all of you here. You are all my Angels!!! I was so alone in my pain that I was lost, so lost.
I cheat though, when the pain gets too bad...I go to bed and sleep...when I can. Since I got the featherbed I can sleep easier and for longer times than without it though. But at night I wake up Every hour ON the Hour!! sheesh...
So my coping ways are to come to this board and to sleep. Hopefully I will be able to find something more, and when I do you all will be the first to know, thats for sure!
Well, I am going to go lay down now because the heat last night made sleeping worse than ever, and I hope I can sleep through some of the heat. I take my dose of meds now and go lay down.
I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOU so much that I cannot express it.
Thank You for caring about me and everyone else. Thats to All of you THANK YOU!
OH, It is 8 days now with no food. This may sound a bit gross, but yesterday I sat on the john and it seems I totally cleared out my intestines! I had to flush 3 times so it would not overflow the toilet! It seemed different than the normal stool...as if it were, well, stuff thats been in me for a long time, and the smell was that of rotting flesh. I have heard that people who fast have that happen to them where the body clears out a lot of poisons that have been in there for years. I am drinking LOTS of water and taking full spectrum Organic natural supplements with minerals, vitamins amino acids and everything. So I am not worried anymore about getting ill from not eating. I did not intend to go on a fast, it just happened this way where I couldn't get up to fix anything for a few days and finally became UN-hungry. It is now too hot to eat so I will probably keep not eating for a few more days and I hope and pray I will be able to eat then. I've No appetite and I get nauseous at the thought of eating.
Well, Here I go COPING now...nite nite to all for now LOL!

"Above All Do No Harm" Love and Healing Light to All...kovena

Old 07-24-2004, 02:14 PM   #8
Inactive

Copper HB User
Cool Re: How Do You Cope?

Hi Ed (and all)

To cope, I try and use a mind-over-matter approach. I sometimes meditate the pain away, use visualization, and just generally, try to plaster a smile on my face no matter how I'm feeling. If I can wrap my head around a happy mood, the pain is much easier to handle. Not that it goes away by doing these things, but when my attitude is up, the pain is much easier to tolerate.

Of course, because of all the different illnesses and injuries I have in conjunction with the FMS, the dr's keep me pretty well medicated. Sometimes I will resort to taking pain meds, but that's pretty rare. I really have to over do ALOT before I go for the pain pills.

One of THE most important coping tools I use, and I realize not everyone has this opportunity. But, I visit with my daughter's horse! I swear, the relief I get from just being around this magnificent animal is pretty phenomenal! Sometimes I even climb on her bareback and take a VERY short ride - she is what is known as a gaited horse (a Peruvian Paso), so riding her is actually less bumpy than driving a car.

Well, I think this book is long enough. Everyone have a SUPER day - I'm off to see the horse, again!

Closed Thread