It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
(female)

singerja1999 HB User
Need Sleep

I really would like to know if anyone here has any suggestions as to how to get a good night's sleep. My new rheumy put me on a medication however it take awhile to kick in. Meanwhile I am getting very little sleep. My major problem is falling asleep. Once I get there I will sleep restless but at least I sleep. I am finding now that I am dreading the evenings. Never knowing what this night will bring. I do drink herbal tea (sleepytime) but it also may or may not work. Thanks, Sleepless in Maryland

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2004, 11:53 AM   #2
(female)

jencat HB User
Re: Need Sleep

You might try having your dr refer you to a local sleep lab for testing. Many sleep disorders that I have found made my fibro worse, were diagnosed when I was sent for testing. For instance, I have sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, periodic limb movement disorder and alpha wave intrusion disorder, all which seriously impared my ability to get any quality of sleep at all. Before I went to the sleep lab, I was totally ignorant that these disorders existed, for so many yrs drs blamed my sleep on fibro. I still have fibro, but with the help of local sleep lab, can now get some better quality and quantity of sleep, which helps fibro a great deal.

Just a suggestion, you may not have any of these problems, just thought I'd share my experience. Good luck.
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2004, 07:14 AM   #3
(female)

singerja1999 HB User

Thanks, Jen I do know that I have restless legs. My new rheumy did mention about doing sleep testing. I appreciate your reply. Take care, Jackie

Old 07-11-2004, 02:48 PM   #4

kathy372001 HB User

Hello
I do too have trouble sleeping I found a dr that just deals with fibro and chronic fatigue she has me taking all natural pill for sleep 1 is peaceful nights and the other is Melatonin I was taking 3 of each at bed time and about 2 days later they really kicked in but my hole problem was a 1/2 hr after taking them I was out like a lite and yes I got the sleep I need but I didnt hear a thing the hole night which makes me kinda nervious because I didnt hear if my daughter needed me and I really didnt like that.So the dr suggested that I take 1 of each and that works fine for me get 6-8 hours now but my legs and back still kill me in the morning. So I guess Ill take the pain so I can sleep. Now this pills I found out I can get at my chiro too which saves alot of money when we can use insurance.
Jencat,
Where do I find out about a sleep center to be tested my legs and back hurt so bad by morning and they said it was just because of fibro and my back problems?
THanks
Kathy
arthritis
IBS
wheelchair 2003

Old 07-11-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi Singerja--

I was on a couple of different sleeping meds the last two years (Ambien and Sonata). After doing some reading I asked the rheumatologist to change it to Elavil. Well-he did and I'm sleeping better. However-----

I also take 5-HTP and magnesium at night, so I know that helps.

The combination of those two with the Elavil is working for this diagnosed insomniac (sleep study twice).

Good luck and I hope you find a magical formula right for you.

Ed

Old 07-12-2004, 08:08 AM   #6
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi There,

I take Ambien occasionally, Melatonin, Valerian, gallon jugs of wine and a big fat joint! Ok just kidding, hope I didn't offend anybody but I couldn't resist. Just thinking the word wine makes me nauseous. I can't drink with the IBS and such.

I switch around between Melatonin and Valerian because things seem to lose affect on me quickly with daily use.

Hope that helps and made some of you laugh - Andy

Closed Thread