It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2004, 01:41 PM   #1

Jbanksies HB User
Could this be fibro?

I started having terrible tension headaches in the middle of March, that have continued to persist. Basically, I wake up in the morning with a stiff neck, stiff shoulders, sore jaw and a pressure headache between my eyebrows. The headache continues through the day, making it difficult to concentrate while doing things such as driving, working, ect...Sometimes the pain will migrate to behind my right eye. I also have noticed lately that I get pains in my arms and legs and tingling sensations in my feet (these are not excruciating pains, but I have never noticed them before). I also generally feel very fatigued; I don't feel like I have the energy that I once had. My primary care doctor thought that I was suffering from muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders, so he put me on anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxers at night, and furanol for headaches. I have also been doing physical therapy and massage therapy for about a month now, but there is little improvement. The physical therapist also notices that I have constant knots in my neck. Do these symptoms sound like the early stages of fibromyalgia? I just find it hard to believe that I could be suffering from headaches for four months straight without any relief from medications or rest (I have been out of work for a month). Any suggestions or input would be appreciated!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
-Jen

Old 07-11-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
Re: Could this be fibro?

Hi Jen--

So many illnesses have so many common symptoms as you know.
Lots of us with Fibromyalgia have gotten misdiagnosed or dismissed by uncaring doctors.

Why not go to a rhuematologist, tell him/her your symptoms and see what kind of diagnosis you get.

I had to go to quite a few doctors to get a clear concise answer. And I got second opinions on everything to be safe.

I have Lyme Disease and it can give someone Fibromyalgia, so the case was pretty clear that the Lyme would give me Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus or Fibromyalgia. The first two were ruled out and the last was definite.

You really have to work at checking the symptoms. My suggestion would be to try at least two rheumatolgists and see what they say.

Just my opinion,

Ed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2004, 09:01 PM   #3

Jbanksies HB User

Hey Ed- thanks for the suggestion!!! I have already been to a fair amount of doctors, because all this started with headaches- so I've seen an ENT (ear, throat and nose), an allergist, a TMJ doctor, and a neurologist...I had a cat scan of my sinuses and also some blood work and an mri of my brain and neck (ordered by the neurologist)- all of which came back perfectly fine- so, the neurologist just preceded to give me some topamax and when I asked to make a follow-up appt, he said I should just give him a call in a couple of weeks to let him know how I am reacting to the medication. It is so hard to find a doctor who really cares and wants to listen!!!!!!!! What has frustrated me the most about this whole thing is that no tests are reflecting any of the pain that I am experiencing!!! Anyways, I will take you recommedation and see a rheumatolgist or two.

Thanks!!

Old 07-11-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
(female)

singerja1999 HB User

Hi Jen, Your story sounds like mine. My problems occured about a year after I had found my mother deceased in her condo. It really shocked my system and so now I have this. It has taken me at least two years to even get someone who is willing to work with me. I too was referred to a neurologist for severe migraines. He put me in the hospital and was thinking that I may be having seizures. But, not the problem. At last I have just found a rheumotologist, after being to three others, who is willing to find out what the problem is. He said that it sounded like fibro to him. I have most of the symptoms. If you have fibro, your blood tests will come back normal. That is one of the things that drive you crazy. All I can say is hang in there and be persistent. It may take awhile but you will find a rheumy who recognizes your problem and will be willing to work with you. Good luck! Jackie

Old 07-12-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Ya know I never realized it but I got fibro right after my Grama died. - Andy

Closed Thread