It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
Full Body Massage

Well---I finally did something I've wanted to try over the last couple of years to give me some relief. I went and got a 50 minute full body massage.

I felt really good for the rest of the evening (my appointment was 6PM), but when I woke up this morning my legs were terrible--I limped around for a while while my wife was sleeping.

The only benefit that is still lasting today is the neck and shoulder pain.
I have to admit that I could actually move my head from side to side today with minimal pain. How long that's gonna last I have no idea.

Has anyone else had this done? How long does it last? Are there any areas they shouldn't work on? How often do you do it? Will insurance cover it with a prescription?

Qustions, questions, questions................

Ed

Old 07-12-2004, 01:06 AM   #2
Inactive

Copper HB User
Thumbs up Re: Full Body Massage

Hi Ed,

Funny, just the VERY subject most prominent on my mind tonight. I, too, got a full body massage today, though FArrrrrrrr from my first. I have a close friend who is a therepist and I usually get about 2 1/2 hours a whack - this gal has THE best hands in the West! But, I fear I wear her out

I'm glad you asked about the depth of the massage, as I have my very own theory on that, and so far, few agree. For me, she can hardly push deep enough into my tissue. I know most people say it hurts for them just to be touched, and I experience that too. But massage is different. It's almost like the pain, itself, is a congestion in my muscles, and a gentle massage isn't going to do anything but stir that up. For me, it feels necessary to push deep enough to push THROUGH the pain and out to the other side, if that makes any sense? I sometimes come away bruised, but that's just surface stuff, and my pain -the REAL KILLER STUFF- is deep, deep down inside my tissues. Without the depth, it's really just more of an irritant, and causes more of a flare.

Can this cause damage? Not that I've discovered, and we've been doing this periodically for about 2 years. I responded so well this time, we're going to try every 2 weeks for awhile, and see if the healing stays as profound as after a single treatment. Just the one treatment, not counting any bruising that mat occur, can last, or at least parts of it, up to a month or more. Not at the high that I'm on tonight (feeling like I could dance ), but still, definitely with increased mobility over yesterday!

Tomorrow, I may sing a bit of a different tune as alot of the flushing toxins might give me trouble. It's pretty important to eat well and drink BUNCHES of water to flush it all, bui today was a special day and I washed the massage down with a half bag of peanut butter cups.

Singing a new song tomorrow!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2004, 03:46 AM   #3
(female)

singerja1999 HB User
Re: Full Body Massage

I have had a full body massage and for me it was the most painful thing I have done in a long while. I, like many others. have problem even being touched much less being massaged. I have had two in my life and unless things drastically improve that will probably be it. I am glad however that some people can enjoy them. Go for it if it makes you feel good. Jackie

Old 07-12-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

I too feel like one big bruise most of the time, let alone after a massage. But I have a friend who is an awesome therapist. She massages me for free because I can't afford it so I don't get them often but mand it's great when I do. I check myself out before I go and figure out where I am really tender and she is gentler with those parts. Then there are the other parts that I need her to dig in me with her fingers like rolfing. It's just knowing where to be gentle.

But I think some soreness will come with any massage because it releases toxins much like working out does. If you went and biked 20 miles you'd be very sore too. For me it feels like the same kind of sore.

Another advantage to the massage is it helps get out the excess water. We all seem to swell. Ask your massage therapist to msaage towards your heart, that helps push the water out of your hands and feet.

-Andy

Old 07-12-2004, 11:43 AM   #5
Inactive

Copper HB User
Thumbs up Re: Full Body Massage

Quote:
Originally Posted by singerja1999
I, like many others. have problem even being touched much less being massaged. Jackie
Hi Jackie,

I sure understand this! I am also like this. BUT, like Andy said, some spots you have to be real gentle with. But others, you have to dig in deep enough to find gold. I pretty much have a zero pain tolerance, but the therapeutic benefit so outweighs the temporary suffering, that it is well worth it, for me. Still, it is not for everyone.

Mostly, I wrote today to say that day 2 is going real well. I STARTED to overdo a bit, but then realized that I was undoing all that hard work from yesterday, so cooled my jets a bit, and the rest of the day will just be slow and easy.

I AM feeling pretty sore, like Andy says, after running too much, and there is some minimal bruising. But, all in all, I still feel like DANCING! And even more than that, the head space after such an excellent experience is just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO far removed from the normal FMS Blues!

No "Lady Sings The Blues" here! (though I DO love Billy Holiday )

P.S. PapaRoux, how are you feeling today after your massage? Keep us posted, OK? Hey, maybe we'll start a new trend!

Last edited by Copper; 07-12-2004 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Add a PS

Old 07-14-2004, 12:09 AM   #6
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi There,

I had a massage Monday night and it was wonderful. It relaxed my bad side after my flare and I felt like I was standing up straight for the first time in weeks. I think part of the trick is talking to your therapist and drinking TONS of water to flush out toxins. But mine is also my best friend so she usually knows exactly what's going on with me and I warn her ahead of time about the sore spots.

If you give it a try again Ed I bet it will be better. I remember my very first massage about ten years ago I though tI was gonna die the couple days after because I didn't know about all the other stuff.

- Andy

Closed Thread