It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2004, 07:24 PM   #1
(female)

singerja1999 HB User
Quick question

Hello everyone, I just want to know if this fibro is a progressive disease or is it something that the way I am now is the way I will be? I am doing a lot of reading on the subject but have not found something that will answer that question. Thanks so very much. Jackie

Old 07-12-2004, 12:41 AM   #2
Inactive

Copper HB User
Re: Quick question

Technically, it is not SUPPOSED to be progressive. But, for many, they become more and more aware of symptoms as time goes on. Also, as symptoms can wax and wane, who's REALLY to say whether they get worse or not, except the one experiencing it.

From a medical point of view, though, it is not considered to be a progressive disorder. But then again, when medicine can't even find a way to convince all of their members to even believe there IS such a thing as FMS, it's hard to have faith in their judgment when they say this non-existant disorder does not progress. So, pick your take!

Last edited by Copper; 07-12-2004 at 12:46 AM. Reason: .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2004, 05:48 AM   #3
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

I asked my Rheumatologist if I would ever end up in the hospital because of Fibromyalgia and he said 'Absolutely not'.

I do have a theory though, that as we get older we get other disorders which aggravate the Fibromyalgia.

Ed

Old 07-12-2004, 08:13 AM   #4
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi Jackie, I think that things happen in life that make it worse at different times. It just depends on how long it takes you to recup and if you rehab before something else in life goes wrong that our bodies can't handle.

I have faith that I will get better than I am now as I've gotten better than I was two years ago. I think for me I had to get over the hump of exercise making me better. Initially I could do so little and exercise just made me worse but I just kept trying to do it easier and easier until I found a starting point. Then I worked my way up. I believe it's given me better functioning and quicker recovery from flares. When I say starting point I mean, pacing the hallway two times and then lying down. Or lifting/curling a soup can three times.

- Andy

Closed Thread