It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2004, 10:51 PM   #1

cicka HB User
Anybody gets pain from wearing a bra?!?

I just can't wear any bras! Not even sports tanks. Even if the elastic that goes around the chest is semi-loose after a couple of hours I get so painful! I'm guessing it's from the pressure. I also have scholiosis at that part of my spine, but I used to wear bras a few years ago, when I didn't have fibro and the pain is felt allaround the chest not only at the spine.
Can anybody relate? Should I mention this to my doctor?
I find that my "topical" nerves are way too sensitive. Strangely it's not the same everyday. Someday I can tolerate a very loose sports bra. Someday it would be killing me! Does anybody have an advice how to desensitise nerves?!
Or block out pain?
thanks

Old 07-12-2004, 12:27 AM   #2
Inactive

Copper HB User
Cool Re: Anybody gets pain from wearing a bra?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicka
Can anybody relate? Should I mention this to my doctor?....Does anybody have an advice how to desensitise nerves?!
Or block out pain?
thanks
Hi,
I imagine quite a few of us can relate, and I'll bet there are oodles of 'tricks'
we all use to get by. DEFINITELY mention it to your doc! There may be somthing a doc can do, and you won't know if you don't ask.

I have no clue how to desensitize your nerves, except maybe with aversion pain therapy. But short of that, THROW YOUR BRAS AWAY!!!! Hey, other '60's fashions are back in, go for comfort, and let that one back in, too. I haven't worn a bra now for seven years, and I can't say as I miss it one little bit! But, I can say that I've been alot more comfortable.

Take a load off, ya know?

Last edited by Copper; 07-12-2004 at 12:30 AM. Reason: bad spelling day! :D

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2004, 07:23 AM   #3
Inactive

taurus3 HB User
Re: Anybody gets pain from wearing a bra?!?

Hi There,

We had a long thread some weeks back about the bra thing. So yes it is common. Most of us have bad shoulders anyway, so putting that wieght on them makes it worse. Then add the constriction on the ribs and you're miserable. I don't wear one unless I have to leave the house. I'm a double D so braless is not an option. But I have found those bra tanks to be more comfortable and less naughty in public. I wish I was a c or b.

I have been trying to design a bra made like a tube top that has support but isn't too tight so there's nothing on you're shoulders. Hard to do with big honkers though.

- Andy

Old 07-12-2004, 12:19 PM   #4
(female)

smackliet HB User

Yes it was so bad for me and i was to large in that area to go with out. I ended up having a reduction and i haven't wore one in a year and a half.. Ban the bra!!!
Hurray freedom. WHen i had to wear it, it was the only thing on my mind the whole day at work i would be thinking i can't wait to get home and take it off. It was agony.

Old 07-12-2004, 01:31 PM   #5

kovena HB User
Talking Re: Anybody gets pain from wearing a bra?!?

I threw all my Bras away in the 60s. Then in my 40s all of a sudden I have a D cup and have to wear one. I am allergic to latex and other rubber materials so I am limited with what I can wear. I certainally know the freedom without one but after 52 years I am pointing south and I get these HORRIBLE rashes under the breasts that I have to use antibiotic ointment for. Actually, sometimes it is bacterial rash and sometimes it is candida from sweating. I use Clotrimazole (Lotrimin) for it when its from sweating, and a triple antibiotic gel when it is bacterial, and it works wonders. I Want one of those tank tops when you get them made, so sick of the Dented Shoulder look LOL! I am so glad that I am not so sensitive though except when I have a case of Shingles then forget it...I wear sleveless T-shirts. But you are right, they have no support.

"Above All Do No Harm" Love and Healing Light to All....Kovena

Old 07-12-2004, 09:33 PM   #6

cicka HB User

Hi ladies!
I'm glad I'm not alone! I thought I was nuts!
Does anyone have an idea WHAT causes the pain? As I said, somedays it's ok, some would be horrible.
I don't have very large breasts, but now, especially in summer - with a lot of flimsy tops, I struggle with buying clothes with the thought in mind that they won't be see-through. Which, summer tops all are! So I'm getting quite desperate sometimes. : (
I work with customers, so I can't have my nipples looking back at them. I will have to make my own bras as well.
Also I find most tops too tight in the ARMPIT and it would drive me nut-cracker!
Am I weired, or can you relate?

Old 07-13-2004, 05:58 AM   #7
(female)

DecLady HB User
Add me to the list of non wearers...

I do own bras..and will wear one if the situation calls for it..but as soon as I can I get out of it....Sometimes there is just discomfort..But, the longer I struggle with fibro..I have found that often I have down right pain with a bra on, that will disappear within minutes of removing it. I don't work, so I sympathize with you on that front. Camisoles...or the lightest weight bras you can find. I found ONE that is wearable for me most of the time...but , dumb me didn't buy a second...I dont know what I will do when this one wears out!LOL

Old 07-13-2004, 01:24 PM   #8
Inactive

Copper HB User
Cool Re: Anybody gets pain from wearing a bra?!?

Hi again,

Like Shiela, I did the reduction too. Didn't mention it before, cause I thought it would be too drastic a concept for the question. But, ya know what? Nothing is too drastic to help you feel better, and reduction REALLY helped!

Bra substitutes I've used both before and after surgery - my VERY favorite is men's undershirts! I buy 'em a size too small, and it holds everything just snug as can be. A big plus is that they (the designers) give guys much more generous armholes than given to women, so there's really no pressure at all. OK, now to let my weirdness REALLY show through, guys cotton skivvies are a heck of a lot more comfy than women's undies - BY FAR!!!! Something about the elastic they uses, and the lack of elastic around the legs. Very nice. Of course, au'natural is still best of all

OOOH, almost forgot! For the underboobierashes, try Bag Balm! It has an anti-yeastie beastie component to it, and also protects the skin from the sweat induced rash.

Last edited by Copper; 07-13-2004 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add a PS

Old 07-13-2004, 04:57 PM   #9
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Wow thanks for the bag balm idea. I've tried lots of stuff but hadn't thought of that. I get the itchies too and it drives me crazy. - Andy

Old 07-21-2004, 09:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

I remember this discussion before. It is a very common sympton of FM to have pain around your rib cage area. I know, it's extremely painful and uncomfortable. I have found that wearing a bra that is a size bigger around, like instead of a 38 get a 40 helps. Also on one of the home shopping networks beginning with a Q, they sell a bra that is made of pantyhose material. Pantyhose for your boobs! You step into it and pull it up, so you don't even have to pull it over your head and peel it down over your chest like a sports bra. It doesn't give you much support as far as "lift and seperate", but it's very comfortable. I believe you just order like 32 A/B 32B/C and up. Go to their website and type in "all hosiery comfort bra" (without the quote marks) and you should see it.

Hopes this helps.

Have a pain free day!
tk

Closed Thread