It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
Inactive

taurus3 HB User
Post Partum & Fibro

I believe there are more of us here now who had our fibro get worse or got fibro after delivery. How many of us are there? What happened to you? How was your delivery? You all get the ball rolling and I fill in my story later. I've typed a lot already so I don't quite have it in me right now as it's a long story.

Let's share...Andy

Old 07-12-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User
Re: Post Partum & Fibro

hi andy. i havent been diagnosed yet, im on waiting list for neuro so probably in for long wait. Mine started after birth of my son over 9 months ago. On night after having him i had shooting pains in my legs and thought i was coming down with flu, i didnt and it stayed. I had good birth and pregnancy but was really big as i had big baby. I developed mastitis from breast feeding. I also had tingling sensations on vagina, i got fobbed off for ages, i then had swabs, all clear apart from group b strep which usually causes no symptoms and pain to mother just to unborn babys.I still had pains and tingling and kept going back to doctors, i ended up with post natal d, probably didnt help with all this irritation. I have tingling on left shoulder blade on back,down legs and arms, i have developed burning sensations recently and dull aches in legs, above knee, sometimes arms and neck, so thats my story, love april xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2004, 02:46 PM   #3

amomof3 HB User

Hello! I also started having my symptoms when my son was born four years ago. He was also a very big boy, I had a c-section with him. But not until my daughter was born 2 years ago did the pain get really bad. She was also a c-section and I had gestational diabetes and pre-eclampia. My recovery went well although I did end up with a DVT in my right leg which kept us in the hospital a week longer than expected. But ever since I have been a physical wreck. (And emotional sometimes). So is there a common thread here or just coincidence. Considering women are more likely to have fibro I have to wonder. What do you think.

amomof3

Old 07-13-2004, 02:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

what are all your main symptoms? x

Old 07-13-2004, 06:06 AM   #5
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi Ladies,

I'm rested up today so here's my story too. I guess as far as a pattern it seems like it's just the physical trauma of the whole pregnancy/birth thing that makes it worse. How many of you had epidurals? Just wondering because when I had mine during labor I felt this explosion in my lower back and hip where the cath went in. Then my leg was numb for two months. For a week after delivery I couldn't get up off the toilet.

So let me back up, I was 33 when I had my son. He was a 7 pounder. My pregnancy was difficult but not troublesome really. No diabetes or anything else, just SI joint pain and premature labor which put me on leave early. My job at the time could not seem to get it that I couldn't work 50 hours a week past 7 months so my doctor put me on leave for my own good. I did have lots of itching, rashes and labrynthitis during the pregnancy.

My labor was induced, I had the epidural, had my son, twelve hours later I was so swollen I couldn't wear shoes other than slippers for a week. When we had been home from the hospital for about a week was when I first noticed that my body just seemed worse. My fibro had never been that bad even though I'd had it for ten years. My whole body just shut down. After about five weeks I was at least able to walk and use my arms more. But I had to adapt infant care to not being able to carry the baby around with my arms.

The day after my six week checkup, I developed an infection called an anal fistula which was from old scar tissue in my anus that had been stretched. Because the scar tissue was old it was going to require surgery on my butt to dig it out. The first surgery did not heal so I had to have it done again two months later. I was left with permanent sphincter damage, rectal incontinence and chronic diarrhea.

In the meantime fibro kept getting worse. So I've been dealing with not being able to work for about two years now. My SSD appeal hearing is August 4th.

I have so many symptoms it's hard to remember them all. My right side is the worst as far as the pains, spasms, burning, tingling, shooting nerve pains, etc. I get headaches, fatigue, dizziness, TMJ, brain fog which I have with or without pain meds, edema, repetative motion injury (from not doing much), dry eyes, blurry vision and on and on, oh yeah IBS. I also have lupus but it has supposedly been in remission for 3 years. That's why I had the first baby and I'm due 9/10 with my second. This pregnancy has been a breeze other than missing my codeine and soma. I'm home so I can put my feet up any time.

I can't desribe to someone who hasn't had it, how painful and horrible those fistulaectomies were. I couldn't sit for about six months. And now if I get any more damage down there I have to go five hours away to the big city to get a ******** replacement. That's not what they call it I just hink it's funny to say.

I was hoping that since I'm having a c-section and not doing all the straining and pushing this time it might be easeir but it sounds like both seem to do the fibro in. I know one thing which is I will be wearing suport hose during and after delivery to prevent the horrible swelling. In the old days that was standard maternity practice but thanks to the mighty HMO it's no more. If I have to have it out with every nurse in the hospital I'm still wearing my support hose.

So that's my story...Andy

Closed Thread