It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 05:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User
No sleep for 5 (add a few more) days, on new meds...

UPDATE:
DALMANE DIDN'T WORK AND THE DOCTOR GAVE ME ATIVAN. HAS ANYONE EVER TAKEN ATIVAN AND AMBIEN COMBINED? I AM SO PAST WORN AND THE PAIN IS SO INTENSE SO SLEEPY, BUT NO SHUT EYE IN MANY NIGHTS NOW

I am in soooo much pain and past exhausted. My doctor put me on Effexor, Vioxx and Zanaflex. I've been on Ambien for several years btw. After the increase to 75 with the Effexor 5 days ago my sleep went out the door even taking the 10mg of Ambien. I called my doctor this morning because the pain from lack of sleep was so severe I couldn't go to work. The nurse first calls in Restoril. I called back to tell her I was allergic and that it is on my chart . She in turns says that she will have to start over again. I asked if I should stop the Effexor, she said no. Long story short, she went home and forget to get back with me. The oncall doctor couldn't do anything because he had never seen me Has anyone else experienced something like this. I sit here and could just cry. I have to go another night with no sleep and the nurse this evening said, I feel so bad for you. You should complain to the doctor tomorrow about this but we can't help you because the fact remains this doctor has never seen you. I have gone there for 6 years and everything is in my file, how frustrating. Enough of my rambling...sorry....just really tired.... Has anyone taken Zanaflex? I take 4mg....has anyone taken 8 mg? The Rheum. prescribed 8mg prior to the Internist prescribing 4mg...so I never took the increased amount because I stopped going to the Rheum. (I wasn't happy with her.) Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by wishn; 07-14-2004 at 05:05 PM. Reason: UPDATE...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
(female)

mollymadison HB User
Re: No sleep for 5 days, on new meds...

I have taken zanaflex but, I'm not sure what mg it was. It totally knocked me on my butt. It kicked in while I was at a Burger King. I thought I was going to have to call my hubby to come get me because I was so loopy. Needless to say, it made me very relaxed and I slept for a good while. Try it. It can't hurt.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:11 PM   #3
(female)

tam821 HB User

I had the same problem,, BE CAREFUL of the effexor, a side effect is INSOMNIA... I know, i take it...

doc cut me from 150 to 75, becuz of it

gabitrol really helped with sleep for me so did sonata..

good luck with your sleep

tammy

Old 07-13-2004, 06:16 AM   #4
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

It sounds like your'e trying everything so I don't have any other ideas. But Ihope you get to sleep soon. I know when I go for days I start to get a little crazy.

One sheep, two sheep, three sheep, four sheep, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wish it were that simple - Andy

Old 07-13-2004, 06:48 AM   #5
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

I had two sleep studies and they both came back saying I was an insomniac. Needless to say they've given me any med needed to knock me out at night. Sometimes I still wake up at night and go into another room, but will fall asleep again. I know how awful the day is following a night with no sleep: raw, jittery, dragged out, somewhat frightened (what if it happens again), etc., etc.

You'll get that good night's sleep yet. Your doctor will probably take care of it for you. It sounds like he/she has been doing right by you so far, so.....just wait it out and then when you do get back to bed.....sleep long and deeply.

Ed

Old 07-13-2004, 08:13 AM   #6

snslilly HB User

I have taken zanaflex for a year now. My doctor titrated my doses so that I wouldn't be so loopy . I now take 4 mg 4 times a day. It would make me a little loopy everytime I titrated my dosage but once my body got used to the dose, I was fine.

I used to take Effexor and had the same problems you're having. My psychiatrist changed me to Zoloft and I'm doing much better. He also put me on Trazadone (up to 100 mg/night) to help me sleep. About an hour after I take 50 mg, I'm out . Some nights when the 50 just doesn't seem to be working effectively, I will take another 50 and get a full nights sleep and I don't usually feel like I'm hung over the next morning. I tried taking Elavil for sleep but the next morning I felt as bad if not worse than I did the night before. I'd wake up with that hung over feeling and feel like I'd tossed and turned all night.

Hope this helps you out.

Steph

Old 07-13-2004, 08:17 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Thank you all for your support! It's 11:09pm and tonight I took a new prescription the doctor is trying, Dalmane 15mg. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me that this will "knock me out." I took it at 10pm and still feel . Gosh, I think I am past the point of knowing how to fall asleep. I am so exhausted and worn. I think I could deal a bit better if it were for the terrible pain that we get dealt with this fibro from lack of sleep. Well my fingers are aching tooooo much to type. As tired and out of it as I am, it was such a nice feeling to pull up Healthboards with all of your wonderful support. I'll keep you posted. Weak (ha) hugs everyone....

Old 07-13-2004, 08:22 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Thank you all for your support! It's 11:09pm and tonight I took a new prescription the doctor is trying, Dalmane 15mg. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me that this will "knock me out." I took it at 10pm and still feel . Gosh, I think I am past the point of knowing how to fall asleep. I am so exhausted and worn. I think I could deal a bit better if it were for the terrible pain that we get dealt with this fibro from lack of sleep. Well my fingers are aching tooooo much to type. As tired and out of it as I am, it was such a nice feeling to pull up Healthboards with all of your wonderful support. I'll keep you posted. Weak (ha) hugs everyone....

Old 07-14-2004, 12:15 AM   #9
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi There, I hope you got some sleep! I woke up and can't go back yet..lol. -Andy

Old 07-14-2004, 05:15 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Didn't work....still no sleep....I feel awful. Boy do I sound like a complainer!

Old 07-15-2004, 06:03 AM   #11
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Thanks for the update. I can't believe the Dalmane didn't work. It used to knock me out but was only for short term use.

Yes, I have taken Ativan and Ambien at the same time. I really don't like Ativan, but prefer Xanax. I asked the doc to discontinue the Ativan, forget about the Xanax and just try me on Elavil. Also, I now take a sleeping pill called Sonata.

The combination of these, along with my supplements has really helped my sleep.

I hope you get some rest soon.

Ed

Old 07-15-2004, 08:21 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Thanks Ed,
I did get 2 hours sleep last night....errrr..hopefully a few more tonight.

Once I did try Sonata for 3 nights and no sleep. My body is so difficult! Did it work for you right away?

Old 07-16-2004, 06:41 AM   #13
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Sorry you're still having a rought time still.
No, the Sonata didn't work right away and didn't work alone. I had to use 50mg. of Elavil with it, along with 1mg. of Klonopin. Now I sleep with no problem at all. And I had been diagnosed as having insomnia from two sleep studies, so I'm satisfied.

Hey--have you tried a sleep doc????

Ed

Old 07-16-2004, 11:39 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

3 hours last night...but so far no difficult.

Old 07-17-2004, 03:00 AM   #15

kovena HB User
Lightbulb Re: No sleep for 5 days, on new meds...

Switching from Fentanyl to Morphine Sulphate made 4 sleepless nights for me. I hate when that happens. I didn't know whether the hallutionations were from Meds, lack of sleep or Fever!
Finally today I went in to take a nap and slept from 3PM to 1:30AM and WOW did that feel good!
I sure hope that you sleep long and hard soon. It is so essential to our healing to sleep. My Fiance got mad at me for sleeping as I did this time and I think he is wrong for that. Since I changed Meds he feels I should be up and around as if I were not sick at all. NOT! He would not even get up for a few minutes to talk to me he just shouted from his bedroom.
Well...Pfffft! to him!
I am so lucky that I was able to sleep. At 3 when I took my Meds and some asprin because Fever is back...All I remember is the neighbors dog barking. I NEVER am able to sleep when that dog Barks but it did not matter this time. I was Out! Before I layed down I was very worried because the Aura for migraine had started and I was getting sick to my stomach. The pain started creeping up my neck and I said OHNO! Then the Dog Barking then Blissfully NOTHING! And NO Headache when I woke up!
When I can't sleep I usally take a 10 mg Valium and 25 mg promethazine. Sometimes it works...sometimes nada. Strangely, the thing that knocks me out the best is Simple Asprin! I take 1000 MG at a time. But I certainally can relate to sleepless nights and days. I take for granted everyone can sleep all day if they want. I seem to forget some people have to work. I wish you could try to sleep in the day if you could not sleep at night. Hopefully you will have some time off and be able to do that. Sometimes a short nap 2-3 hours does it and then at night you sleep like a baby. I hope and Pray that this is what happens for you.
"Above All Do No Harm"...Divine Love and Light to You All...kovena

Closed Thread