It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
The Best Clothing to Wear

Any tips on clothing--what is best when you have aches and pains and the skin on your body even hurts. I've been wearing really loose things, but I still haven't found good shoes/sandals/whatever. And material for pants I still can't get right. I want to dress as comfortably as possible and I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is for me because sometimes just touching the skin is uncomfortable.

Ed

Old 07-13-2004, 12:25 PM   #2

snslilly HB User
Re: The Best Clothing to Wear

I really haven't found any clothing that helps. The closest I've came to comfort is pj's (cotton or silk nightgowns). I've found when I'm home alone and really hurting and clothing is bothering me that the best thing is putting on my "birthday suit" and crawling in between the sheets. There's no seams, no bunches, and no heaviness. I've found that tennis shoes are the best. My PT recommended new balance cross trainers and they have proved to be the best for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
(female)

Izzybella HB User

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Old 07-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi There,

I wear leggings with lycra when my legs hurt sometimes. The support seems to help reduce the swelling and they are soft. I wear Ugg Slippers with sheepskin in them most of the year while home. Or I go barefoot. I really don't get out much so when I do it doesn't matter about my feet because there's the rest of me to worry about.

Cotton and soft things seem to be better and I also need to be naked sometimes with the skin thing.

- Andy

Old 07-23-2004, 11:57 AM   #5

kovena HB User

The only thing I can wear is Cotton, silk or Rayon. It has to be loose fitting. I cannot wear any type of polyester or nylon or I break out and sweat really bad. It also feels greasy on my skin, and it has a scratchy heavy feeling.
As for shoes, they have to be leather or cotton...I can wear the sheepskin slippers, in fact have them on now, but mostly I go barefoot as long as I do not have to walk around on a nylon rug. I found out years ago when my house had nylon rug in everyroom except bathroom and kitchen, and my feet would become all scaley and hard from the nylon interaction with my skin.. We have wool rugs here and I can go barefoot anytime with no problem. All my bed clothes(blankets, sheets) are 100% cotton. I have a feather quilt and a feather bed under the cotton sheets and it is like sleeping on air. I always had trouble with pressure points when sleeping and the feather bed really helped. Naked is certainally the best way to go but it is not very convienient unless I am alone...then I grab my cotton robe if the doorbell rings LOL! But for sleeping I usually wear cotton boxers and spaghetti strap T-Shirt, or I go naked.
I have known since I was 16 that I could not wear any nylon or polyester. I could not wear stockings without a severe rash from them. Certainally no pantyhose UGH! (Since Chemo in the early 70s I have not had hair on my arms or legs or underarms, or private places... so I do not have to wear stockings! Or Shave YAYAY! ) The MDs back then would not believe I could have trouble with that material, they would say Polyester is the best invention since the spoon UGH! Not for me!!
well...I did not mean for this to be a book...but I get going and can't stop. LOL!

"Above All Do No Harm" Loving and Healing Light to All...kovena

Old 07-23-2004, 02:31 PM   #6
Inactive

AliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB User

T-shirts can be turned wrong side out to avoid the seams. My daughter shops Old Navy for the softest t-shirts. Not all are soft, so be sure and check. Loose clothing is a must. The lighter weight the fabric the better. For shoes, you may need to check out large department stores or the higher end shoe stores. Also, many discount stores sometimes carry the better quality at lower prices. Find what feels good to you. Watch for sales especially in the big name department stores. My daughter also prefers new balance. I think they change the style #s every year but found an old pair with the 620 style. They do keep some continuity with the numbers even theough they change somewhat. Some styles of Nikes are often a good choice if you have a narrower foot. I think I have heard that Merrill has some comfy shoes. sometimes I need to change shoe types from day to day. Spenco insoles, which are green and usually sold in sport stores can be helpful. Some of the newer jell types can feel good. The bottom line is it will take time to shop for what feels good.

Alice

Old 07-23-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
(female)

DecLady HB User
I have that problem more and more...

Yesterday I was swimming and my swimming suit hurt me..that was a first! I wear the loosest, easiest, highest amount of cotton things that I can .There are times where I have to dress differently..and I almost always am uncomfortable and can't wait to get home and take off my clothes. Sometimes clothes actually make me feel claustraphobic and I have an anxiety attack..now that is a bizarre thing to live through! But...when you posed the question..one of the things I thought of was yoga clothes..they are meant for comfort and are often even made of organic cotton..so easy on the skin. Also I just read that they are making earth shoes again... and if you do the www. and then add earthshoes and the .com... you can check out their website....also birkenstocks are very comfortable for me. I wish you luck..this is one of the hard things to make work for me.

Old 07-23-2004, 05:34 PM   #8

oldersis27 HB User

I must agree with all of you, loose clothing is the most comfy for me too. Kovena, the poly thing, ugghh is right. I was told that it was the best thing ever invented too by a manager when I had to wear it for a uniform years ago as a waitress. Never again! I find that thick cushiony slippers are my best friend at home and away at someone elses home if possible. The birkenstocks I paid high dollar for were sort of prescribed to me by my podiatrist, they hurt my feet so bad. They are supposed to be good because they mold to your foot but they have no cushion and for me that is bad. I have to have as high top a tennis shoes as I can get for the rolling in of ankles. I wear pj's all day if I can stay home. I also LOVE my hiking boots for the same reason and I find too that I don't trip as often with them on, don't ask me why, maybe I'm a clutz!
Bra's are very uncomfy so I have been using sports bra's unless I have to go somewhere that requires more of a dress code. Be comfy and cozy anytime you can.

Old 07-24-2004, 09:30 AM   #9

kovena HB User

Yes, the shopping can really be the problem. I cannot stay standing more than a few minutes at a time and the places I shop...(Used Clothing) stores do not have those elec buggies to ride around on. I find the best clothing at this places...like Value Village or St Vincent De Pauls or Salvation Army. They sound bad but they have so many new and very modern wonderful cottons, silks and rayons for pennies compared to Retail stores. The added benefit is that they are already worn in nicely and are very comfortable. You don't have to wash then ten times to soften them up LOL! I have bought some things like the wool cape from Scotland that is valued at 1,200.00 dollars for 6.99!!!! And silks for pennies... But the first place I go to is the Jewelry tables LOL! I have found gold and diamonds, rubies and sapphires and all kinds of antique jewelry for a few dollars! I have collections worth over 15 thousand from places like those and flea markets and yard sales. I had to insure it all! Hopefully I will sell it soon on EBAYand get myself a motorized bed with one of those temper-pedic mattresses That heats up AND vibrates!! Not just 2-4 inches of the foam but the real MCcoy!... (They want over 3 grand for one of them ..Whew!)... the whole bed WOW I get excited thinking bout it but never have the energy to sell. It would take me being online doing it for hours and trips to post office to send stuff, and pack stuff..can't do that right now.
"Above All Do No Harm"...Love and Healing Light to All..kovena

Closed Thread