It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 02:33 AM   #1
(female)

mollymadison HB User
Red face HELP! Feet and Lower Legs HURT!

As you can see by the time stamp, I am not able to sleep due to the severe pain in my lower legs, feet, and ankles. First the right leg then the left leg. The pain is a 9 or 10, enough to wake me up crying. It feels like I'm standing or sitting on a thousand pins and needles or nails and the bones are burning. It's almost how my feet felt when all this started. My Dr is only giving me 10 Vicodin to last 6 months. I called yesterday for a refill with an explanation with hopes they will refill. I just hope this doesn't mean I'm going into another flare. The feet were the first thing to go on my first flare. Does anyone have any suggestions or words of encouragement? As you can see I'm pretty desperate at this point. I'm going to take a warm bath to see if that helps.

Thanks for all your support!

Old 07-14-2004, 06:19 AM   #2
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
Re: HELP! Feet and Lower Legs HURT!

Hi--

I'm sorry you're going through this. It does sound like the start of a flare if not a flare in itself because of how you feel.

Take this for what's it worth, but you might want to try a concotion of the following.

150mg. 5-HTP
1600mg. Magnesium
750mg. GABA
50mg. Benadryl

When I have leg and foot problems it eases up on the pain and I'm able to walk a little better. It's probably best to take it before going to bed.

The total cost of all of the above is probably about fifty dollars.

If desperate and you can't get relief any other way---why not give it a try?

Feel better soon!
Ed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 09:36 AM   #3
(female)

mollymadison HB User

Thanks Ed for the info.
I already take the magnesium. My question would be what are the other things you mentioned. Are they straight vitamins? I know I can take the Benadryl but, I can't take any herbal supplements due to my bi-polar meds. I have to be very strict on this regimen right now and I can't mess up. I have to go back to work sometime. My Dr's office finally called back and will be calling in the vicodin, so that will help with the pain. GEEZ, I hope this is not a flare! I don't know if I can handle it since it was just in May for the first one. Maybe that's what I'm going to have to expect and deal with. I read about all the posts and thank God that I am able to function right now. Please pray that I continue to be in good health.

Once again, Thank You for the advice.

Old 07-14-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi Molly, It proably is a flare but how mong it will last depends on how much you rest. Elevate your legs as much as possible to discourage inflammation. If warm bath doesn't feel good try tepid or a little chilly. It helps with that burning, pins and needles feeling. That's kind of what my swelling does to me. It starts with throbbing and then the next thing I know I have to hobble to the bathroom like I'm walking on goatheads. (Evil looking little burs that come on weeds in case you're not from the west)

That's part of the hard part of fibro is that it comes sometimes no matter what you do but you really just have to rest until your better. If this starts happening more often maybe your doc will give you better pain prescriptions. If you take the pain meds more regularly you can stave off having a bad flare better.

I get codeine 30 days at a time at 2 per day. I don't take it every day but I can if I need to. And it helped me not flare up as bad. I'm just out of luck at the moment. No happy pills for me. Also Dandelion Root or Uva Ursi is great for inflammation and flushing pain toxins. It doesn't interfere with MAOI's or any other drugs.

Hope you feel better - Andy

Old 07-15-2004, 05:25 AM   #5
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi MM--

Your well wishes are always in my thoughts, hoping you'll not have to go through another flare (although it sounds like you're just about there).

The 5-HTP is an amino acid. I take psych meds also, so told the doctor what I was trying. He said it was OK as long as I realized it wouldn't help the Fibromyalgia at all. It would just alleviate some of the symptoms--like not being able to sleep.

At least now you can take the Vicodin. You'll surely get some relief from that.

Ed

Old 07-15-2004, 12:41 PM   #6
(female)

mollymadison HB User

Thanks for everyone's support and comments. My Dr finally approved more vicoden enough for 30 days at 1 per day. That should work for now as the pain is at night. I took one before bedtime last night and the pain was much less. Today the pain is minimal. Yesterday was just bad for me. I was so depressed about possibly going into another flare. Like I said before, I just know if I can go through another flare right now, emotionally. I am already a wreck right now. I am actually on medical leave from my psychiatrist for sever depression. Now we are expecting to return to work on Aug 2. Hopefully I will be ready. I have to go back some time.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:41 PM   #7
(female)

jogordon HB User

If that all doesn't work and the doc does not give more vicodin, consider a new doc sympathetic to your pain. We fianlly found one for my husband and we follow her whenever she moves to a new facility.

Closed Thread