It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

mollymadison HB User
Restless Leg Syndrome

Can someone out there explain and describe what restless leg syndrome is and what it feels like? What are you doing to help the problem? etc. Any information is welcomed and encouraged.

Thanks-
Molly

Old 07-15-2004, 01:05 PM   #2
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
Re: Restless Leg Syndrome

MM--

I took a long train ride once to get to JFK Hospital in Edison, NJ. I wanted a second opinion about my seizures. During the course of all this they diagnosed me as also having restless leg syndrome.

For me what it is:

an itchy tickling feeling that feels like it's under the skin
legs jerking as a response to it
also legs jerking for no reason at all

I know some people have it worse than I do, but I guess they can explain their own symptoms. I just wanted you to know what went on with me and how it was taken care of:

I take Klonopin at night, also Lamictal.
It has taken care of the problem.

Ed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 02:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

what causes this? i feel like got this all over. I have neuro symptoms and the itchy tingly feeling is driving me potty, i want to scratch but nothing is there.

Old 07-16-2004, 03:42 AM   #4
(male)

brend HB Userbrend HB User

Hi there,
Just to add to the itching and tingling feeling in the legs of sufferers of restless leg syndrome. In bed at night my legs have an ache which is very difficult to discribe. It seems to come right from the bones in my legs and it feels as if my last bit of energy is being drained out of me. Getting a comfortable position for sleep is very difficult. Another aspect of this is just when I think I am drifting off to sleep I get a feeling as if I have had pin stuck in my legs and I have to start trying to relax all over again.
I have been on many cocktails of meds and they all work to varying degrees for a while. I am now using yoga breathing, mental and physical exercises. So far so good. But maybe not tonight.!!

Brend

Old 07-17-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi Molly, I have this too. It comes and goes, I don't have it all the time. My soma and codeine help when it does happen. I've also found that ice packs and cold water seem to ease the trhobbing, itching, burning somewhat. I think what helps mine more than anything is a combination of everything I do to take care of myself. And also not overdoing. When I do it almost always happens.

- Andy

Old 07-21-2004, 01:02 PM   #6

1passionfruit1 HB User

Hi Molly,

I've had RLS my whole life and it's like an uncomfortable dull buzzy ache, usually in the legs, that is temporarily relieved by voluntary movement. It feels sort of like worms crawling under your skin or soda bubbles in your veins. The legs don't jerk on their own--that can be Periodic Limb Movement Disorder or Myoclonus. It most often happens after sitting awhile or at night, although it can occasionally occur earlier in the day. It can drive you crazy.

Caffeine, as well as certain meds like Benadryl can trigger it. I take Darvocet for it, as well as an occasional Ultram or Xanax.

There's a terrific organization called the Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation (http://www.rls.org/) that has lots of information. Hope this helps!!

Old 07-28-2004, 11:15 AM   #7

sanlee1 HB User

Hi there
RLS Is a condition where your legs feel like they are "jittery" inside and won't unsettle. They even start moving on their own. Kicking movements are involuntary. Some meds can help, like some muscle relaxants. Unfortunately, the more meds you are on, the worse the RLS. Guess it relates to the liver overload. Hope that explains it.
Sandi

Old 07-29-2004, 02:13 PM   #8

Barberian HB User

Over doing triggers RLS in me too, but not always.Support hose seem to help mine,I sleep in them when necessary. I know some can't stand it, but for me it works.
Wasn't it qinine (S?) that you used to be able to get for this? Some are lucky enough to have a doc that will rx it.

Barb

Old 07-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #9
(female)

painsucks HB User

I would say that passionfruit hit the nail right on the head by saying it feels like worms crawling under your skin! I took Flexeril for years for it but then it wasn't helping any more so my dr. put me on Mirapex and it has helped a lot.

Old 07-30-2004, 11:38 AM   #10

heather5 HB User

Hmmm? I have RLS when I take benedryl.
So I just don't take benedryl.
I always just thought it was just a side effect of benedryl?
It HAS happened just a couple of times when I wasn't taking benedryl, but I thought maybe it was something I ate that triggered it.
Does it mean I have RLS, or maybe it's just a response to something else?

Old 08-01-2004, 07:31 AM   #11
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hmmm, good question. I get it to usually from overdoing it. If you can't stand support hose pantyhose can help too without being quite so binding. - Andy

Closed Thread