It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2004, 10:53 AM   #1
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
Gaining Weight

Ever since I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Lyme Disease I have gained about thirty five pounds. Maybe it's because I've curtailed my activities, but I've gone to the doc for a diet and have also done Atkins.
The most I can lose is about twelve pounds.

Right now I'm on a diet of crackers and soup during the day and a light dinner at night. A little ice-cream at night and that's it. So--what about people who work all day at a job outside of the home--weight gainers? Any suggestions on how to lose weight? Is it the Fibromyalgia and the medications, so a lost cause. Is there a Fibro Diet?

Ed

Old 07-18-2004, 05:15 PM   #2

Dimeit HB User
Re: Gaining Weight

Many of the meds people with FMS take wiil make you get fat.Read the side affects list for the meds your takeing.If you ever want a chance to get cured of FMS find a dentist that knows what hes doing and get checked for any bacteria infection that should not be in your mouth. Terry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 08:40 AM   #3
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Dimiet--

I agree that some of the meds can contribute to the weight gain--that's when it started.

And although I don't believe that dental hygiene problems can be fixed and cure Fibromyalgia---I will take your advice and check for any and all bacteria and make sure the dentist knows specifically what I'm looking for.
(I really hope you're right!)

I hope you're doing good....

Ed

Old 07-19-2004, 10:15 AM   #4

foxwalker HB User

Hi Ed

How are you sweetie I do hope your not in a flare of any kind and having a good monday. Your Question on weight gain really caught my eye because I just recently lost 20 lbs and no I didn't diet I just did more walking and didn't eat and sweets lol now that was hard at first but I did stick to it .
I never weighed over a 110lbs in my life unless I was pregnant but when fibro hit me and they started me on meds my weight gain was alot and it had me upset for along time to be at 145 . Now I am down to 125 doing good and trying to maintain that weight if I do great if I don't I kept all my other clothes so I will have them lol.
You will not lose weight in a healthy way on the akins diet they have now proved that it causes high choletral and there was something else but darn it I can't remember at this moment lol fibro fog I guess, talk to you soon.
hugs and love Franny

Old 07-19-2004, 12:03 PM   #5
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi Franny--

I guess the cookies and candy are my downfall, too. Also --cheesecake.
But--I've cut down and it seems that I now can only drop six to eight pounds and then it goes to two or four. It fluctuates.

It did start with the Fibromyalgia and the meds, so I'm gonna have to find another way to loose weight: push myself away from the table when full !!!

Hope you're OK today. We had rain and floods. Awful weather.

Ed

Old 07-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #6

kovena HB User
Question Re: Gaining Weight

The only thing I eat is butter cookies at night. I eat them because my stomach gets upset and they help. I only have one a night, but I am still gaining weight. Really...I do NOT eat ANYTHING else but one butter cookie at night. I have absolutely NO appetite, and if I force myself to eat I get sick. I cannot use any Soy based supplement due to being allergic to soy. The butter cookies are from Scotland and cost 5 bucks for 10 cookies. They taste so good and do not make me sick so to me they are worth it.. I actually look forward to them.
I am guilty of using Coffee mate in my Coffee...I have around 4 cups a day and get a nasty headache if I do not have it. The size cup I use is an 8 ouncer Glass Coffee Cup LOL! I use about 5 Heaping teaspoons of coffeemate in it and Sweet and Lo. I think I am addicted to Coffee mate.(Hmmmmm..thats really fattening!)
I do not get out to go food shopping so I cannot see what would whet my appetite there. Stinky is usually too tired to take me to the store after work and on his days off he sleeps all day. I cannot deprive him of that sleep as he says I get to sleep all day if I want so he has the right to do it too. I think He is depressed. I cannot think of anything offhand that I could eat anyway. If I do cook, I usually am too tired and hurt too bad to eat after standing up for so long. So I don't eat. The weird thing is I do not miss it. I am really NOT hungry!
I do wonder why I am not hungry. I think it has a lot to do with not being able to cook and I cannot eat fast foods. I do like Skippers fish but Stinky gets mad if I ask him to get some. He says the line is always too long and he refuses to wait on lines for anything. I do not get to the bank so I never have cash on hand which would probably give him more incentive to get the Skippers for me..he hates having to use his money for anything. I could write him a check. Hmmm...I wonder if that would work. I will try that tonight, but I hope I have an appetite tonight as I do not have one now. I would hate to have it go bad...hmmm..I could give it to him to eat if I can't eat it. To tell you the truth the way I feel about Stinky lately I would rather give it to the Racoons and Possum in the back yard at night than to him LOL!
Anyway...I really have to go lay down. Stinky wants me to stay up because he is expecting something in the mail and wants me to be up to get it. I tried, but I have to go lay down now. I feel pretty ucky...and am exhausted from being up from 4Am this morn.
"Above All do No HArm"...Love and Healing Light to All...kovena

Old 07-25-2004, 02:17 AM   #7

kovena HB User

WOW! I just weighed myself. I have lost 9 pounds! WOOHOO! And I do not feel any worse for it! I still cannot eat, but as I said in another post I am on a very good natural supplement with everything in it. They are big wafers and I eat 2 a day. Called Source of Life Adult chewables. I has whole food concentrates in it and multi-vitamin and minerals. Vegatarian and hypo-allergenic. Good Stuff. They taste pretty good too. The price is enough to give you sticker shock though, but I figure that all the money I am saving on not eating, I make up for it on these!
Anyway, just thought you all would like to know the latest!
"Above All Do No hArm"...Divine Love and Light to All...kovena

Old 02-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
(female)

PollyGirl HB User

Since I fell sick over a year ago, I have gained 60 pounds. Prior to that, I was an avid runner of 6 miles per day and ate a controlled carb diet. How in the world does one gain SO MUCH weight in such a short time is beyond me. It just disgusts me to no end.

I also do not take meds at the time being. Not sure what the new doc plans on having me take but my appt is in March. Walking a slow walk of 2 miles now practically puts me in bed for 3-4 days.

I cannot go on like this or I will be in big trouble

Closed Thread