It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2004, 05:31 PM   #1

Barberian HB User
Hello, I'm new here!

I'd just like to say hello, and I'm glad to have found you. I am the mother of 3 grown children and 1 teenager, gma to 3, wife of 1 for 40 yrs.

I got this stuff bad enough to have it smack me to the ground about 5 years ago. I think I was working on it a lot longer. I'm just glad I don't have small kids to run after. My grands and their parents all live in different states. I miss them but have never had it any other way. Maybe it's for the best.I don't think I could handle them all the time.

I haven't read much yet but plan to soon. I hope you guys can put up with me!

Barb

Old 07-19-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: Hello, I'm new here!

Hi and welcome.

I have fm for 20 years, and waited so long to become a grandma, now I have four grandchildren and cannot enjoy them like I want. I get pain just holding a baby. In fact our 9 month old grandson is having an overnighter and i feel so bad that I cannot pick him up or get on the floor and play with him. My last two grandchildren were born a day apart.

I am the mother to three and wife of one for 42 years.I would say the last 7 years for me have really been bad, my pain is worse the flairs are lasting longer and coming more often and get major pain in areas that before were only bothersome. I truely believe age plays a role in fm.

Glad to meet you, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 08:28 AM   #3
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi--

Nice to meet you. I hope we hear more from you....Welcome...

Ed

Old 07-19-2004, 08:34 AM   #4

Barberian HB User

Good morning all! Thank you Linda for your kind welcome. I'm sorry to hear you too are unable to really enjoy your grands.

Do your kids accept that you are ill and not lazy/crazy? Just when I think mine have accepted it, they pull some stunt that really hurts my feelings.Sometimes I think they don't trust me around the kids even!They even veto little Nana things, like I gave my gson a piece of peppermint and they made him spit it out....etc... it really hurts me.I don't know how to handle it at all.If I try to talk to them, they just get worse....

My husband is a suck up to them and doesn't support me at all. He is an intirely different person when the kids are around.

My youngest is by birth my bro's child. She and her 3 bros were deserted by their Mom.I think my kids resent her being here, why I don't know, as they have very little to do with me. It was so different before I became ill.I worked at least one full time job, besides running a home and raising 3 kids, that I put threw private schools so they could have a better life.

My bro isn't a great parent but at least he tries.He raised the 3 boys alone.The youngest is moderately retarded and demands a lot of attention.My bro is disabled, and lives on $540 a month.

I love my pets and my yard. I can't take care as well I'd like but they don't seem to mind! They accept me just the way I am, no questions asked!

I haven't got any family but my bro and his kids left around here. I do have lots of cousins in law that, believe it or not, I really enjoy being with.One even has FMS and so we have a lot in common.

Amber is 13 and is very sweet and helps me every day. She is the light of my life.

Sorry to write a book! I'll shut up now and listen to what you guys have to say.

Barb

I have gone to so many docs, and have had various dxs.I now see a pain doc, a pcp and a rhumatologist. I wish we could just see one doc like it used to be! Money seems to be the motivation for all these specialties.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:49 AM   #5
(female)

mollymadison HB User

Hi Barb! Welcome to the board. I also found this board when I needed it the most. I have recently been diagnosed in May with many of the symptoms dating back to by early 20's.

I am 30 y/o woman with no kids married 3 years this wednesday. But, we dated and knew each other for 7 years before we got married. He is very supportive of my recovery.

I am dealing with severe depression right now brought on by the intense pain and fatigue from the fibro. It also did not help that I was not able to take any of my meds (I'm bi-polar) for 9 days. So that also sent me on a downward spiral. The progress seems slow. Like this past week I feel I have been set several steps backward.

I am also in a flare, but not as bad as some people. My fibro is mostly in my legs and feet. They are waking me up at night. Yestarday it felt like the bones in my feet were broken. I am also dealing with fibro fog alot lately.

I would suggest reading the thread labeled "The List". This gives a comprehensive list of everthing fibro affects.

Anyway, sorry to ramble out me. How selfish is that>!

Welcome!

Molly

Old 07-19-2004, 09:17 AM   #6
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hey we can write as much as we feel like. I think on our good days we have so much pent up from not bein gable to type the rest of the time,, we gotta get it out.

Welcome to the board. It's a great group of people and helps me a lot. I've been here a few months now. I've learned much about fibro, mostly that many others have my symptoms and that we can't all be having a mass halucination.

I am 35, 33 weeks pregnant, have a two year old boy, haven't been able to work since birth of son, married, have lupus too and rectal damage, was sick for years before fibro knocked me out of the game. Used to have a normal life, now I don't.

That's the short version

I look forward to getting to know you. - Andy

Old 07-19-2004, 09:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Gee barb, we would make great [ removed ] buddies, my kds are the same way. when they want us to babysit they always ask for their dad on the phone. they give some digs sometimes and I understand what you mean when you say that hurts, because it does. I think my kids think I do not care about the grandkids, but I love them deeply, it hurts me that I can carry them around and do things with them. my oldest is 4. If I hold them too long I get pain in under my breast, in my breast and in the bra strap area, my lower back starts aching. I get so down with these dd. Sounds like we are close in age, I am 62

My husband is very supportive so that helps.

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Last edited by moderator2; 07-21-2004 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Use this board anonymously, only - no emails.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:52 AM   #8

Barberian HB User

Thanks for your replies, Ed and Molly. Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with my children?

Old 07-19-2004, 12:18 PM   #9
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Barberian--

The thing with the kids might just work out OK. You know how kids are--they go through those stages no matter what the parent is like. Maybe it isn't all you.
I wouldn't worry too much, just keep being a consistently good parent and most importantly be yourself. Kids reactions are just that: reactions of KIDs. Don't worry.

Ed

Closed Thread