It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2004, 07:19 AM   #1
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
Letting Out Anger Before It Gets to the Body

I was wondering how everyone copes with anger. For me, it can go right to physical symptoms if I hold it in. That's just Common Sense 101, but if it's there it has to be dealt with even if you can get to the target person/institution/whatever that caused it.

Well--Pondering my situation this morning from a couple of really nasty incidents in my neigborhood when walking my dog I resort to some of the things I've known to help me let out the anger before it gets to my body.

1. I let out a primal scream when I'm alone in the house....LOL..., but true.
2. I have an anger journal. I call it that because when I'm angry about something is the only time I write in it.
3. I do go for therapy to deal with Lyme Disease and Fibromyalgia
4. I conciously think that I don't have to get angry--that it's just a response.
(This one does no good for me!).
5. Go after 'the mark'. (Confronting the person or persons who have angered me.

That's all I know. And--I'm very slow to anger. Something has to really strike a nerve for me to get that way.

I don't even get angry at the illness anymore. We just get along now since I've simply accepted I have it and it will NEVER go away.

Well...you can see how my day is starting......

Ed

Old 07-21-2004, 07:55 AM   #2
(male)

brend HB Userbrend HB User
Re: Letting Out Anger Before It Gets to the Body

Ed,
I, like you am slow to get angry. but I find since I got FM more things get to me. Little things that I would have shrugged off before are making me angry now. My coping mechanism is yoga breathing exercises. I close my eyes and concentrate on my breathing and mentally take myself to a beautiful beach and I listlen to the waves gently on the sand. I do this for about ten minutes and I usually am able to let go the anger. Usually but not always. The ones that cannot be let go I then find I have to challange the person who started this angry episode. Works for me most of the time.
Good luck
Brend

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
(female)

mollymadison HB User

I am learning yoga to help deal with anxiety about the anger. I hate confrontation but often have to deal with it at work. I absolutely do not get along with my manager and that is a source of anxiety and anger. I have taken steps to resolve the issues by reporting her to my division level manager. By doing this I hope to improve the work situation for not only me but for also the group I supervise. It's all about making my group a successful and productive work group. This stress has been plagueing (sp?) me since January so it very well could have been a source of the flare that onset in mid April. I know it had something to do with the depression as well as the flare. I am average at getting angry. It just depends on the situation. That is the main reason I go to Yoga, counseling, and a psychiatrist. Hopefully all will teach coping mechanisms before they reach my body. I know that has got to help in some way. I don't deal well with stress either, so again, hope all that I am doing will help.

Old 07-21-2004, 09:52 AM   #4
(female)

aaronon HB User

Hi all,

When I get angry, really angry, I cry...which is EXtremely hard for me since I'm pretty sure that I lost the ability to cry a long time ago. So, what do I do for anger. Not much, incapable of doing so. I put it behind me....as best as I can. IT's mind over matter. Of course, no one is superhuman, especially not me, so I'm pretty sure that I keep it lodged somewhere inside. I do know that life is too short to run around mad all the time. There are far more important things out there than being mad or upset. But, it's beyond me how to go about doing those kind of things.

I was going to come up with an interesting way to get rid of anger. I had the idea that I was going to buy an old junker car, half of one, pick up a few sledgehammers from Home Depot and everytime I get mad, beat the car. I still may do it. It's extremely therapeutic...I tried something similar at a school fair one time. Felt really good. I may even charge a few people when they want to come over and beat the car too.

Anger is a part of us. Lately I've been saying the serenity prayer alot and that helps more than I realize sometimes. I have alot to be angry at, and I find myself repeating it alot.

gina

Closed Thread