It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2004, 03:22 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User
pressure points

hi does any one know where trigger/pressure points are as my shouldre feels tender??thanks. april

Old 07-22-2004, 04:52 AM   #2
Inactive

taurus3 HB User
Re: pressure points

Hi April,

I've been wanting this information too so I looked it up for all of us.

Description of Fibromyalgia Tender Points

Total of 18 points
1&2 at the base of the skull beside the spinal column suboccipital muscle insertions at the occiput

3&4 at the base of the neck in the back lower cervial paraspinals

5&6 on the top of the shoulder toward the back trapezius at midpoint of the upper border

7&8 on the breast bone 2nd costochondral junction

9&10 on the outer edge of the forearm about an inch below the elbow 2 cm. distal to lateral epicondyle in forearm

11&12 over the shoulder blade supraspinatus at its origin above medial scapular spine

13&14 at the top of the hip greater trochanter

15&16 on the outside of the hip upper outer quadrant of buttock

17&18 on the fat pad over the knee knee just proximal to the medial joint line

Now if you need a diagram you can search fibromyalgia trigger point chart and you should come up with one, but I can't put it here.

And don't go poking yourselves to see if they hurt and make yourself worse. LOL.

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2004, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

i have been doing that, ha ha, thanks for that xx

Old 07-23-2004, 11:37 AM   #4

oldersis27 HB User

Hi April, I have trouble with those same pressure points and what has helped me is a massage of that area especially right on that point. I know someone said it makes them hurt worse and it does at first but after you have massaged it gently it helps to break up the toxins stored there. According to my chiro that is and by my experience. My hubby is not very attentive so I bought a massger at Walmart that has two heads on it and now I can do it myself and on any pressure point I need to. I have also found that after doing that if I use the Ben Gay vanishing scent it will keep that pain away for about a day and then I have to massage and apply again. If I don't take care of it the pain will spread into my chest and on and on. Also, they say after massaging the toxins out that you must drink plenty of water to wash those toxins out of your body. Jusy my two cents, hope it helps you. Mary Liz

Old 07-23-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

thanks thats really helpful, do you find it feels tender when you press shoulder? also does your pain move around day to day? one day my neck hurts then other day my wrists and arms?thanks again, love april x

Old 07-23-2004, 05:23 PM   #6

oldersis27 HB User

Hi April,yes I do find that things seem to move around alot. I always say that fibro has a mind of it's own and that is why I can't plan alot of things. Everything feels tender to me when the pressure points hurts, you bet. you know something that helps me is a heating pad but with moist heat only. dry heat just seems to warm the spot but doesn't get down in there. If you don't have a heating pad that will allow you to use their spongelike thing provided in the box when you buy it then you might try a hand towel or kitchen towel, soak it and wring it out. Then place into the mircowave and heat up for approx. one minute, be very careflu when removing it from the nuker cause it will be steaming hot inside and underneath. when it becomes a bit cool enough to handle you can lay that on your should or lay down and place it in between your shoulder blades. The only drawback with this is that you have to keep heating it and with a heating pad you don't. You could one towel for longer in the nuker and keep in a plastic bag until the first one cools off. Some heating pads don't provide a sponglike thing and say to dampen a towel and slide it into the case on one side of the heating pad but you would have to read instructions to be sure. I was leary at first for fear of electricution lol. Now that I've done it so many times it's no worry at all, there aren't any loose or uncovered wires so it's safe. I hope this helps ya a bit and that you feel better soon. Mary Liz

Old 07-23-2004, 06:18 PM   #7
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi April,

Older Sis is right as I too massage my points, I just didn't want anyone to really injure themselves from my info. The pain does seem to travel around the body from day to day.

I have also found that a Theracane works well for rubbing out the sore spots. Looks like a heavy duty S&M billy club, but it works great by yourself. I too have a non-massaging husband.

- Andy

Old 07-25-2004, 05:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

ah shame on him! my fiance is a massager as long as he not tired. I know i might of asked this before but does this sound like fibro too or any one suffer similar. Most of time my aches are legs and arms, sometimes my wrists ache as if its arthiritis, sometimes they lock up when i grip tightly. Some days they are fine, they feel like ive got pulled muscles today on palm of hand between thumb and index finger on both hands, any comment will be appreciated, thanks x x

Old 07-25-2004, 04:35 PM   #9
Inactive

lammys HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriltones
thanks thats really helpful, do you find it feels tender when you press shoulder? also does your pain move around day to day? one day my neck hurts then other day my wrists and arms?thanks again, love april x
I actually have the same rotating pains!!!

Old 07-26-2004, 07:15 AM   #10
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Ditto, just call me a pain merry-go-round - Andy

Old 07-26-2004, 01:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

ah thats good! not that you have pain but that its similar to mine. I went to docs today and she said nothing they can do just sit and wait for neuro, she doesnt think ive got any thing progressive as my pain is varied and changes day to day. I mentioned fibro and she had heard of it. Do any of you have seizures?

Old 07-27-2004, 11:27 AM   #12

Cocito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriltones
ah thats good! not that you have pain but that its similar to mine. I went to docs today and she said nothing they can do just sit and wait for neuro, she doesnt think ive got any thing progressive as my pain is varied and changes day to day. I mentioned fibro and she had heard of it. Do any of you have seizures?
How strange this "disease" is! One day it's my hip hurting, the next it's my knee or shoulder...I could go on and on! (I have never had a seizure that I know of)

Old 07-27-2004, 11:06 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

hi cocito,how did yours start? do your hands hurt alot?

Old 07-29-2004, 09:03 PM   #14

kooty HB User

Hi guys.....some days my hands hurt.....feels like I slammed them on cement......some days it's my elbows.......some days I feel like I laid cement all day and mixed it by hand and poured it. I do have alot of arthritis......I get hard swelled areas on my elbows and neck and knuckles swell. At least the doc said it was arthritis ?? I have it in my neck and back and hips from bad njuries when raceing horses. (have exrays and MRI) But sometimes I wonder about the rest......do you get swelling or ends of joints enlarged and sore as heck ?? Even my toe knuckles swell. My back never stops hurting....sumtimes I think I AM goin crazy !!!! I think it's so wierd when mixing cookie batter HURTS like it was solid rocks. I do work out to try and stay in shape and keep things in line......for all these years I thought it was supposed to hurt and everything feel strained or sprained while doin so. I wish I had a hot tub.....I'll have to say that felt GOOD !!! Pam

Last edited by kooty; 07-29-2004 at 09:05 PM.

Old 07-30-2004, 05:46 AM   #15
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi Pam,
I can relate. I tried to make pancakes for my son and I the other morning and the batter took me so long to stir and by the time I was done it felt like I WAS mixing cement. Ugh.

- Andy

Closed Thread