It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2004, 05:40 PM   #1

oldersis27 HB User
Feather bed or other high priced top

Hi I was wondering if anyone here has tried anything other than the high priced cuddle ewe mattress pad? I have a pillowtop mattress that is supposed to be firm but it has been one year and that expensive mattress is not firm and the pressure points are feeling it in the middle of the night and upon waking. They have a chaeper model at Walmart but I don't think it would last so thinking of buying a feather bed to put on top. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mary Liz

Old 07-23-2004, 08:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
Re: Feather bed or other high priced top

Hi. I have a featherbed and a memory foam matteress topper along with a heated mattress pad on top of THAT! I have the featherbed on my regular mattress, then the memory foam, and then the heated mattress pad. I have a king size bed, so the heated pad has dual controls, and because the memory foam is heat sensative (please excuse my spelling, I am lost without spell check unfortunately ) I only turn my heated pad up half way, but I'm telling you, it makes all the difference on the sore old body of a Fibromite! The memory foam is kinda pricey depending on the size of your bed, but I believe that what you sleep on, especially when you have Fibro, is totally worth the investment.

And I saw your other post about 5-HTP. I use it to supplement the lack of serotonin that we have. I don't usually take it at bedtime, cuz I have a prescription I take to help me sleep, but I know that you can take up to 3 capsules at bedtime and then see how that works for you. If you are groggy in the morning then cut back. It's worth a try, just following the directions, and tell your doc that you are taking it. There are a lot of supplements out there for FM. I don't know if they are proven successful or not, I take them regularly and my FM seems to maintain, except for now, I have been fighting E-Coli and my stomach has been upset, so I cut out the supplements for now, until my Fibro and the E-Coli reach an understanding as to "who" is going to let up first! Do a web search on Dr. Rodger Murphee, he has some material for reading and he also runs a Fibro clinic in Birmingham, AL. He also makes a special multivitamin pak just for Fibro.

Hope this helps.

Have a good day.
tk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2004, 08:11 AM   #3

kovena HB User
Thumbs up Re: Feather bed or other high priced top

One of the BEST things that happened to me was getting my Featherbed. I LOVE it! It was not very expensive either because I go to Overstock online. It is a great site and EVERYTHING is priced affordable. This is ALL HIGH QUALITY STUFF!!! I really dont know what I would do without it. I also got a new Feather comforter Quilt and a Wool comforter Quilt,(Just like a feather quilt but with wool!) I put the wool one under me and the feather one on top. In the coldest night I am toasty warm and in just cool weather I am toasty, and the best of all...in warm weather I am not too hot!!! (Best Part...They are light as a feather!LOL! I cannot take heavy covers.) I got the 5 inch featherbed(Queen cost same as twin or full or king...69 dollars!!!) with a cover to put it in. I also got this attatched double type pillow for women who are preggers, but I use it to keep myself from rolling on my side and waking up where I cannot move. I tend to go to my side to sleep and its a NO NO! WOW do I hurt from that! The Big O has everything you can think of even the memory foam, the 4 inch one is 99 dollars I think, but if you get in on one of their sales it goes down to 68 dollars!!! I am going to get one of them next because I hear so much about them. I was so lucky that I got all the bedding just before I went down the last time and it was like heaven sleeping in my bed. To be bedridden is bad enough, but to have an uncomfortable bed while bedridden is the worst! So I lucked out and now when I am bedridden I actually look forward to the comfort LOL!
I sware by feather beds. I even got one for Ross for his water bed and he can't believe he never got one before. Again it keeps him cool in hot weather because he is off the plastic waterbed , and winter will be great because when he turns the heat on in the bed up it will keep warm from the feathers retaining the heat.
Don't forget the place is Overstock...go to it online like I do and they ship within 24 hours and it gets to you in 3-4 days at the most. Only 2.95 shipping for as many things you want! Great place...now dont you all go and buy out my memory foam on me before I can get it LOLOL! OH and I want another feather bed to put on top of this one so HANDS OFF! LMAO!
Just kiddin....have fun and get comfy! I hope they do not delete this because I am specifing a certain retail place. It is so important to find a place to afford for the comfort we need. And I DO NOT have stock in the place !!LOL!
"Above All Do No Harm"...Healing Love and Light to All!.....kovena

Last edited by kovena; 07-24-2004 at 08:12 AM.

Old 07-28-2004, 10:56 PM   #4

joyegail HB User

I can't vouch for anything but the feather bed, but we have one, and since we got it, I have been sleeping much better. Our mattress is a very firm one, and I was used to a much softer bed. With the feather bed on top of the firm mattress, I get the support I need with the softness I like, and it has made a world of difference in my being able to sleep.

Deb

Old 07-29-2004, 06:12 AM   #5
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Thanks for the great input and this post. I have been thinking about getting some memory foam too. Not in the budget right now but I think it would help a lot.

Comfy Snuggles - Andy

Old 07-29-2004, 06:13 AM   #6
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

P.S. Wouldn't it be nice if the "memory" foam helped with our cloudy memories....LOL

Old 07-29-2004, 06:31 AM   #7

Icefire HB User

I'm allergic to feathers wahhhhh lol. What is the memory foam? Is that the stuff they show on TV that they put their handprint in?

Chris

Old 07-29-2004, 02:37 PM   #8

Barberian HB User

I'm so glad you posted this topic! I've been wondering about the featherbed and memory foam too. I went to the overstock site, it's awesome.

Barb

Closed Thread