It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2004, 07:01 PM   #1

oldersis27 HB User
5-htp

Has anyone ever been told to try this product for better sleep and less depression? I keep running across it and am seriously thinking of trying it. I figure it can't be any worse for me than the chemicals the doctor prescribes.
Any thoughts?

Mary Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2004, 08:32 AM   #2

Pr0sperity HB User
Re: 5-htp

I had trouble with one antidepressant after another and then my psychiatrist recommended 5HTP. I started on it last December. IT WORKED! It is the best thing that has happened for my depression. I went to a pharmacist who formulates natural medicines to buy my first supply and get the proper dose.

It has not helped me sleep better. I think that is because I am in pain so much and almost nothing will help me sleep through that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2004, 07:49 PM   #3

jill williams HB User
Thumbs up Re: 5-htp

I Tired 5htp And I Think It Really Works On Your Mood. I Really Had A Better Sense Of Well Being. And My Symptoms Lightened Up. As For My Sister She Tryed It And It Didn't Work On Her. But I Swear By It. Everybodys Different. But If I Were You I Would Most Defi : Netly Give It A Try. I Think It Works Fast. Within A Week I Was Singing Aloud In The Morning It Gave Me That Happy Feeling. Try It At Least. Best Of Luck.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:09 AM   #4

lost in space HB User

5 htp is good stuff.. i would also suggest DLPA to help if you are suffering from depression or mood problems also.

Old 07-26-2004, 08:21 AM   #5
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Ok, I'm not up on this. What exaclty is 5-HTP and DLPA. I will be breast feeding for the next year so many supplements are on the no no list, but if these help and I can take them, I will try them.

Can anyone tell me a little more? Thank you so much - Andy

Old 07-26-2004, 08:28 AM   #6

Pr0sperity HB User

Here is an article I just read on 5HTP. My dosage is higher than what is recommended in the article and was set by my psychiatrist.

[url]http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/5htp_myth.htm[/url]

I don't know what DLPA is.

Old 07-27-2004, 04:32 PM   #7

lost in space HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus3
Ok, I'm not up on this. What exaclty is 5-HTP and DLPA. I will be breast feeding for the next year so many supplements are on the no no list, but if these help and I can take them, I will try them.

Can anyone tell me a little more? Thank you so much - Andy
they are precursors to neurotransmitters ( i believe they are actually amino acids) meaning once inside you they metabolize into the neurotransmitters your brain needs.

i dunno about taking while breastfeeding though. i think as with most things. its suggest not to take while breastfeeding.

also as far as these items go they should always be taken only as suggested. there are some dangers associated with overdosing and your body can only actually handle so much at once.

Closed Thread