It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2004, 07:39 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User
No sleep is thinking about a new SSRi

For those of you familiar with me, my previous post is regarding "No sleep in 5 days"....had quite a few here and there to that.

The medication that started this downward spin to to "NO" sleep is Effexor and of course i am scared to start that again.

Through your experience with SSRI's, what seemed to help the most with the fewest side effects associated with the two things that get me down:

1. Sleep
2. Weight gain

I have finally got my weight normal again, but the pain and of course with no sleep, anxiety and certain degree of forgetfulness. some depression from frustraion, etc.

What works for sleep and doesn't pack on the pounds? What helps with the worse of the worse pain that I am experiencing.

Presently I am taking Ultram (which helps 2%)
^zanaflex, which does help for monrning stiffness and a few hours of sleep
^taken with ativan I get a total of 3-4 hours
^during the day the occasional ultran that gives me that 2 percent relief

Any suggestions?

This week I am moving my TV out of my room to stop depending on it when I can't sleep. Maybe a first steep.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
(female)

mollymadison HB User
Re: No sleep is thinking about a new SSRi

Hi! I am sorry you are still getting no sleep. I know how that just exaberates the problem of pain. I take Klonipin (sp?). My Psych Dr prescribed it for me. I feel like it is a natural sleep too! I did not feel that way on ambien. I felt drugged on ambien. On the klonipin, I might wake up a couple of times a night but, I go right back to sleep. I wake up feeling like I got some good sleep. I also take vicoprofen for headaches and break through pain. I also tak vicodin sometimes. I use Ultracet when the pain is at a 5 or below.

Hope this helps! Try the klonipin. It works for me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2004, 07:44 AM   #3
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi There,

zzzzzzzzzzzzz. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. zzzzzzzzzzzzz. you are getting very sleepy, very sleeeeeepy. Ok so internet hypnosis probably won't help either..lol. You poor thing.

I take Prozac and it doesn't make me gain weight or keep me up. But I don't hink my sleep problem is as bad as yours so I'm probably not much help. Taking soma or flexeril before bed helps with sleep and I've been on xanax or valium before at night too.

In my case it's mostly just that I can't relax because my body is having spasms. Magnesium has seemed to help me while I've been pregnant and can't take any drugs.

I hope you find an answer soon. - Andy

Old 07-26-2004, 02:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

i am on effexor and side effects only lasted a week or too, persevere and it does help, love aprilx

Old 11-19-2004, 12:30 PM   #5

Littleb52 HB User

Celexa/Lexapro

Old 11-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User

I haven't slept well since Sunday. I've tried everything. Tylenol PM is okay. I took amitriptylene last week but the side effects during the day were too much. I have a new presription for Trazodone, I'll let u know how that works out!

Old 11-19-2004, 04:30 PM   #7

Cherio HB User

Annie:

I take Xanax at night to help me sleep. It also has been the best thing to help my muscles relax. I tried different muscles relaxers - Zanaflex, Flexeril, Soma, Skelaxin, etc. They would all work for very short-term and then not be effective. I have found that Xanax works the best. I also took Klonopin a long time ago for anxiety, not for pain, and it was great. Very easy to take and no side effects.

Here are some tips a doctor gave me years ago when I experienced this problem:

* Don't nap during the day more than 30 minutes.
* Don't eat a large meal within 3-4 hours of bed time.
* Exercise during the day for at least 30 minutes. (I know...Yucch!!)
* If you wake up and can't go back to sleep right away, get out of bed and do something, then try again later. (I never was very good about doing this one!)

Good luck and I hope you get your sleep in some how. I know how frustrating it can be.

Cherio

Old 11-19-2004, 08:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Howdy. I agree with Molly. Klonopin (there is a generic out there available incase your insurance is a bit "testy") works just as she describes. At least for me. I don't feel "drugged" and if I wake up in the middle of the night (usually for pee pee ) I go right back to sleep. I take 1mg of Klonopin with Soma at bedtime. I still wake up feeling "fibrofatiqued" but without Klonopin, I toss and turn all night long. It doesn't require a very high dose either to help you sleep.

As a matter of fact, Klonopin works so well, the other night I was trying to get through a good part in a book I'm reading (I read in bed before I nod off) I kept falling out, and I wanted to finish just this simple page and a half, it took me 45 minutes to get through it. It was really quite funny, I could tell I was actually sitting there half asleep still holding the book then the book would slip out of my hands and I would wake up! Ain't we pitiful sometimes! LOL I wonder if I were to put a video camera near my bed and taped myself trying to stay awake to read after having taken my meds, if I'd win on America's Funniest Home Videos!? I know I snore sometimes, and I'll bet that would make me a sure winner! Snoring, trying to hold a book up right, while my head keeps bobbing up and down. Now there's an image!

But really, ask your doc about Klonopin. Never hurts to ask.

Have a good one.
tk

Old 11-19-2004, 11:41 PM   #9

Sami34 HB User

I cannot get any sleep either. I used to rely on TV a lot but it doesn't make me sleepy anymore. Before I know it the clock says "5:30am!" It's terrible. So I don't do tv but I get depressed so I get on a phone on & off but not many friends are available to chat with me until I get sleepy so I sit here and stare at my PC. I'm getting more depressed each day...

Are those meds you're taking anti depressant or sleeping pills or pain meds? I'm so new at this. I don't even know what to ask for from my doc. My doc isn't all that helpful. He thinks it's all in my head! Why am I so wide awake when I should be sleeping. I'm exhausted all day, I should be able to fall asleep no problem. I don't u/stand it.

I'm so sleepy in the am when I need to get up but I have no luxury to sleep in until whenever I wake up. Is everyone in here just like me?!

Old 11-20-2004, 01:02 PM   #10
(female)

oholland HB User

I take ultracet and vicodin for pain and zoloft for the depression with Fibro. I take trazodone at night for sleep (one or two depending on how I'm doing). Most of the time it helps. Vicodine doesn't make me sleepy at all but xanax helps. Good luck, the insomnia from our Fibro has to be one of the most adverse effects we suffer (except for the pain, depression, fatigue, ect.).

Old 12-27-2004, 02:19 PM   #11

lighthouses HB User

Hi, the Klonipin does not make you feel sleepy yet in morn? I do not sleep good either and everything I try makes me so tired all day and in a brain fog. Also, do you take vicoprofen to keep from getting headaches or when you start to get one? I take Excederin Migraine when I start getting one and it works but it upsets my stomach sometimes and makes me jittery because of the caffeine in it. I have been having a lot of headaches in the past 3 mo. and not sure why all of a sudden. I have had fibro for about 5 yrs i guess. I take cymbalta and does help the pain and also take 10 mg of Bextra which I am not sure I will be staying on since they are saying it can cause heart attacks and strokes.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:38 AM   #12

pastrygirl HB User

I was taking paxil cr before dx and my rheumy upped my dose and I couldn't believe the difference! Maybe you haven't found the right ssri or your dosage may be too low. When the pain is really bad I take flexeril at night, which also helps the insomnia. There is a new drug Skelakin(sp?) that is a muscle relaxant with minimal drowsiness that I am going to try next for pain relief during the day.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishn
For those of you familiar with me, my previous post is regarding "No sleep in 5 days"....had quite a few here and there to that.

The medication that started this downward spin to to "NO" sleep is Effexor and of course i am scared to start that again.

Through your experience with SSRI's, what seemed to help the most with the fewest side effects associated with the two things that get me down:

1. Sleep
2. Weight gain

I have finally got my weight normal again, but the pain and of course with no sleep, anxiety and certain degree of forgetfulness. some depression from frustraion, etc.

What works for sleep and doesn't pack on the pounds? What helps with the worse of the worse pain that I am experiencing.

Presently I am taking Ultram (which helps 2%)
^zanaflex, which does help for monrning stiffness and a few hours of sleep
^taken with ativan I get a total of 3-4 hours
^during the day the occasional ultran that gives me that 2 percent relief

Any suggestions?

This week I am moving my TV out of my room to stop depending on it when I can't sleep. Maybe a first steep.

Thanks
Hey honey. Have you tried Klonopin? It was one of the very first meds I was prescribed when I was dx with FM. I take 1mg at bedtime. It is an anti-anxiety med usually prescribed for RLS. It really works well, for me, at least. I take it with 1mg of Zanaflex right before bed, then I read until the book falls from my hands! LOL Try reading too. That helps a lot of folks get to sleep. But STAYING asleep is the key. I would ask your doc about Klonopin. It is considered a controlled substance, and could be habit forming, but it is mostly prescribed in very low dosage. I started on just 1/2mg then went to 1mg, and have been on that for about 2 years. Since you are already taking Zanaflex, adding the Klonopin should do the trick.

Weren't you also taking Cymbalta? How's that working? I had to stop taking it, cuz it made me sweat so bad it was hideous. My pain doc prescribed me Fentynal, Zanaflex, and Percocet for breakthrough. I get the Klonopin from my rhuemy. So with these meds, I really don't need the Cymbalta since it was prescribed for pain mostly. As for the need for an SSRI, or SSRNI (or what ever it's called ) I believe that taking the amino acid supplement 5HTP can help with the serotonin issue all us Fibromites have. And I think we can all claim that Anti-depressants are literally "thrown" at us when we are first dx with FM, whether we are depressed or not. I have come to believe that docs over use these anti-depressants on us without considering, or sometimes, even informing us of the nasty side effects they cause, as well as the withdrawl symptoms you get when you try to come off them. I too gained about 20 pounds after I was put on Effexor. I took that nasty drug for over 2 years, and it was a monster to come off of. I'm not saying it didn't work for me, but over time I literally had no emotions whatsoever! I was like a zombie on that stuff. Then came the Wellbutrin XL, that stuff had my emotions all over the map. I still take the Wellbutrim XL, but only 150mg to help me quit smoking.

Here's an idea for you also. 5HTP is an amino acid sold in pharmacies OTC, or simple drug stores that sell vitamins. It has that tryptophan (that stuff that's in Turkey) in it, and may help you sleep. Just read the bottle as for the recommended dosage. It usually says to take a couple at bedtime, and possible increase to a certain amount as needed. But certainly before taking any kind of amino acid, talk to your doctor about what exactly you plan to take. Some of those amino acids sold OTC can interact with prescription meds.

Well, that's a loaded post! I hope it helps. I know that not sleeping can drive you insane!

Love to you wishn.
tk

Old 01-06-2005, 01:31 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouses
Hi, the Klonipin does not make you feel sleepy yet in morn? I do not sleep good either and everything I try makes me so tired all day and in a brain fog. Also, do you take vicoprofen to keep from getting headaches or when you start to get one? I take Excederin Migraine when I start getting one and it works but it upsets my stomach sometimes and makes me jittery because of the caffeine in it. I have been having a lot of headaches in the past 3 mo. and not sure why all of a sudden. I have had fibro for about 5 yrs i guess. I take cymbalta and does help the pain and also take 10 mg of Bextra which I am not sure I will be staying on since they are saying it can cause heart attacks and strokes.
lighthouses: Have you asked your doc about a prescription for your headaches? If you look at the ingredients in Excedrine Migrane and compare them to regular Excedrine, you'll notice they are the same, just different names on the bottle. I take Fiorecet for tension headaches, but it does have caffine in it. Seditaves usually work for tension headaches. They make you sleepy until you get used to them. Also the meds for migranes (like Imitrex) can help headaches even if they aren't migranes. I know headaches are killers. I get tension headaches at least 2-3 times a month, and until I was prescribed the Fiorecet, not even Percocet would take the pain away. And sometimes when it's a bad headache, the Fiorecet only starts to work when I've taken the last dose. (I take one tablet 3 times a day) And here's a rather drastic measure. My pain doc injected some kind of blocking agent directly into the base of my skull. It sounds bad, but it's not too bad really. You feel alot of pressure during the injection. But it is supposed to block the nerves that get inflamed, causing tension headaches. You'll have big lumps on the back of your head for a few hours, but they go down! They feel kinda funny really. LOL

Ain't it pitiful what we go through to stop all the nasty symptoms that come with this wonderful condition Fibromyalgia?

Oh, by the way, for all you who I have been posting with for awhile: my son, age 24, has just been dx with FM. Man, that just yanks my chain. What a thing for a mother to give her child. So, when docs don't believe it is hereditary, I say "bull malarky"!

Whew! I'm beat now. Two posts in one day! LOL
Here's wishing you all a painfree day.
tk

Old 02-03-2005, 03:21 PM   #15

pastrygirl HB User

My ssri keeps me up as well. They say to take it at night to help you sleep, which I suppose helps when you first start taking it. If I take it at night, I am up all night! It is like I am wired. I find that if I take it about 2pm, when most people with fibro feel sleepy, it makes me more clear headed and the "buzz" of it wears off enough by the time I go to bed(usually!). About the weight gain - me too! But since increasing my dose, the sugar and carb cravings have gone away! Maybe something to try. Good Luck!

Closed Thread