It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 09:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
Question Student Loan Discharge. Anyone?

I unfortunately have a student loan that I am trying to have discharged. I am getting the biggest run around from my loan company. (initials SM) I had my pain doc fill out the form, then they wanted to know exactly HOW my condition (he stated my back problems as the cause) prevented me from working. So I had him type up a letter, which took about a month to get, then they didn't like the wording. It has to state that I am unable to work PERMANENTLY! Oh, and here's the best part. After my doc filled out the form, I express mailed it to them. Now they are saying that they don't have the original and I need another form filled out. I told them to just type up a letter stating what they want my doc to say, and I'll see if he'll sign it! Also, everytime I call them on the phone, I get someone who can barely speak English. Now, I have no problem with other countries, except when it comes to handling things like this. Do they call that outsourcing? It's like I'm beating my head against the wall with these people. So, now I have to ask my doc, once again, to fill out this stupid form and be sure he states that I can't work, PERMANENTLY. I wonder what they would say if I had cancer. Would they still want to know why I couldn't work? Well, being sarcastic here, sorry. But my question is, have any of you had to go through this, and what was the condition you filed the application for? I have terrible back problems (herniated lumbar discs, annular tear, spinal stenosis, as well as cervical degenerative arthritis) as well as having Fibro. My doc basically stated that I couldn't work due to the pain and the effects of my meds. Any suggestions would be great.
Wish me luck!
tk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 11:08 PM   #2
Inactive

taurus3 HB User
Re: Student Loan Discharge. Anyone?

Hi Tk,

Isn't it a pain trying to get anything like that done. I hope it gets resolved for you soon. Sounds like they really give people the runaround.

Hang in there - Andy

Old 09-02-2004, 12:43 PM   #3

glowworm2 HB User

tk, hope things are going well for you with the student loan discharge. Quick question, my son has a student loan he needs to get discharged. This was for a business college and it was a federal loan. He actually dropped out before the next semester, but they filed for the funds anyway. One time when they called to collect, he told them he was disabled and they sent him a form to get completed by his doctor to have the loan discharged, but he lost the form. Do you know who he would call to get another form? He is trying to get his credit straight. Thanks and God Bless you!

Gloria

Old 09-02-2004, 01:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Hi. Still fighting with the student loan thingie, between my doc dragging his feet and the student loan company being "butts", I think it'll be resolved some day before I'm six feet under! LOL I DO think that the loan is discharge when you win SS disability, but until then, they want proof from the medical proffession that you can't work. So...I have the form looking at me right now, and I don't see a form number, but I'm sure if he calls his lender or emails them they'll send him another form. I get them emailed to me in the form of an attachment. Also, he can request a forbearance, this is different than a defferal (spelling?). A forbearance is granted for a period of 1 year. No payment is due during this time, but the interest accrues. Usually you can get a forbearance very easily, just by requesting one. Also if he does a web search by typing in: Federal Family Education Loan Program, he may find the form there. But it's best just to ask his lender, they'll send another, I've got 5 of them so far! LOL Be prepared to speak to someone in another country though! LOL

Good luck.
tk

Old 09-05-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Wes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB User

Same thing happened to me. It got to the point I had to threaten them with legal action for abuse. The DOE was helping me resolve issues I had with a local university. An attorney from there wrote a memo to SM stating a few facts. They seemed to back off after getting that memo. I don't think the DOE has any control over SM, they just did me a favor by sending the memo.

Have you contacted one of those debt clinics? They may be able to tke care of it for you. You can also tell SM to not call you anymore. Legally, they are supposed to obey that request.

Closed Thread