It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2004, 09:18 PM   #1

pain-intheneck HB User
Massive Muscle Knots (anyone else) please reply!!!

undefined undefined Does anyone else get huge knots with their fibro. I have them in my upper back all the way down to my lower back, the last time I was at my PM he said that there were about 18 of them, I tried therapy, and was on baclofen for the spasms and knots and was changed to soma , but nothing seems to take these knots away, they are extremely painful. I can't really go get a massage because insurance doesn't cover it ,and deep tissue is sooo much! I tried heat, and cold, hot baths, that blue gel, you name it I tried it, no results, it seems like Ive been in a constant flare for the last 3 months is that possible? Im on meds for the pain, but that is also a major cause and cannot get rid of them. When i get depressed or anxious it gets worse (which is all the time) Im just wondering if you guys have any suggestions???

TY!

Old 10-10-2004, 07:37 AM   #2

Icefire HB User
Re: Massive Muscle Knots (anyone else) please reply!!!

Hi,

Yes it is possible to have a constant flare for 3 months. I've had it for 5 months. Those knots are so painful, I have them in my back, along my ribs and in my stomach. The only thing I've really found that works so far is warm pool therapy at PT, and massage. My husband massages me, I don't pay for it professionally. I've also taken up Tai Chi which seems to keep me calm even when the knots are bad. I still have them but the pain from them has improved so much.

Good Luck
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
Inactive

Copper HB User
Cool Re: Massive Muscle Knots (anyone else) please reply!!!

Hi Pain.

Stretching exercises might just be your needed new best friend. I know that exercising hurts, but so do the spasms. The stretching USUALLY can eliminate most of the spasms. I have a few that don't go away even with that. My chiro FINALLY got a place in my mid-back to here-to-for never opened to release a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had a back spasm since. Still have a killer going on in my right calf, but my "California only" medication helps relieve that SOME. Now I just have those little random spasms in different parts of me - you know, the ones that make the pencil in your hand go unexpectedly flying across the room !

Last edited by Copper; 10-14-2004 at 09:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-15-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
(female)

Aries gal HB User

Hi,
I seem to get muscle knots in my legs when i hold stretches for too long without warming up first. So if you do decide to stretch, make sure your muscles are your warmed up first. The ones in my neck seem to come and go randomly though.

Old 10-15-2004, 05:44 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lillypad HB User

I have a thera cane...it is a life saver. It has several knobs on it - the one on the curved end you can use to gently rub the knots. The are available at some back stores and also on the net. Best $40 I ever spent. I also use tiger balm. You will have to sweet talk someone into rubbing it into your back!

I get the balm rubbed on my back, rest on the heating pad for a while and then start working on the knots with the cane. Be kind to yourself with the cane. It hurts at first, but if you keep at it I would expect you to experience some relief over a few days.

Another idea is to take a hot (as hot as you can stand) epsom salts bath- 1 cup in your bath. Or try 1/2 cup regular salt and 1 cup of cider vinegar instead of the epsom. I try to stay in for 20 minutes, adding hot water periodically. Don't get cold! After toweling off, use the tiger balm again.

Arnica can help. I use it in a cream - need help again! I do know some people who take the arnica in a pill form. I've not tried that.

Malic acid supplements and calcium/magnesium also help some people. I also know someone who is taking neuontin. She swears by it. You might want to ask your doc. Pain pills never touched the pain for me, they just made me stupid!

Pilates on the reformer is wonderful to get the muscles moving. It's a bit expensive, but great for stretching and strenghtening.

Hope one or more of these helps you.

Old 10-19-2004, 12:26 PM   #6

dramagurl704 HB User

Yes Yes and did i metion yes. i have jus started physical therapy to reduce the knots and help with the pain and tightness in my muscles might wanta try that

Old 10-19-2004, 01:48 PM   #7

Allusian07 HB User

For muscle knots in my back where I can't reach them, I use "tennis ball" therapy. Depending on how painful the knots are, I use a soft surface (like the back of the sofa) or a harder surface (a pillow without much "give"). I tuck the tennis ball between the knot and the surface and lean or lay against it. I can adjust the pressure by how hard I lean, but getting the deep tissue relief feels great and it doesn't take anyone else helping me. When I've had enough in one spot, I adjust the tennis balls to another area, so get a full range of relief.

I recently discovered a great way to get a back massage from my husband! He gets bored and tired using his hands on my back, so we figured out that he could sit in his favorite "tv chair" while I sit in front of him and drape myself over a padded footstool or exercise ball. Yes, he uses his feet. It's easy for him, not tiring or boring while he's watching tv, and he ends up getting something of a foot massage as a bonus, and boy does it feel good on my back! Where I need deep massage, he uses his heels. I've scheduled an "appointment" with him tonight.

Old 10-25-2004, 10:19 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User

I use acupunture to help with the pain. I tried physical therapy but made me worse. I begin chiropractic treatments this week and we'll see how that goes!!

[ removed ]

Kelly

Last edited by moderator2; 10-25-2004 at 03:34 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 10-27-2004, 08:02 PM   #9

kattnap1 HB User

I get severe pain in my neck and shoulders especially at work, sitting up straight in my chair in front of the computer, and especially when I'm stressed, which is almost all the time. I can't work overtime because I can only stand eight hours of sitting in an upright possition, (and that's with 2 Vicodin for breakfast, a Celebrex and 2 Tylenol #3s for lunch every day).

I also have degenerative disk disease and a herniated disk in my lower back. I too believe in exercise, but don't actively participate on a regular basis because the energy necessary to perform a regular excercise routine just isn't in me after a long day of work.

Old 10-30-2004, 03:34 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

I also get these knots which of course come with a lot of pain .
My husband bought me a hot tub and I run out and get into it when the flare-up is bad. I know that many cannot aford to buy their own but posssibly you can find a neighbor or friend who has one. Certain therapy places have them.
This is really the only thing that does much good.
I also have found that a heated mattress cover works wonders. Unlike a heated blanket this allows your entire body to get heat and it really helps.
Good luck in finding relief that works for you
Lisa

Old 11-03-2004, 08:45 PM   #11

piglady HB User

i have knots all over my body. I have to pay cash because my insurance does not cover massage. It keeps me going and active even though I am still in a lot of pain.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:46 AM   #12
(female)

tam821 HB User

OUCH YESSSSSSSS, i get them, my doc gives me a trigger point in the muscle in my back and WOW it goes away in seconds,,, he also gave me muscle relaxers they help.. those buggers hurt

Closed Thread