It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

Tootsie Roll HB User
Cool Ear Infection or Toothache??

Hi everyone,
I'm confused, and really don't know how to pose this question but here goes... Have any of you ever experienced what seemed to be an ear infection, but wasn't...and that same pain affected your teeth to where you think you have a toothache as well, but can't really tell which one it really IS???

I went to the doctor 4 days ago, and he examined me then put me on antibiotics for 10 days(Amoxicillin 500mg) It is strange however, that he said my ears looked alright from what he could see, but the left ear looked a little out of sort. The right ear and jaw is the side thats been bothering me from the start. The antibiotic has worked a little bit, but i'm still having pain on the right side. Can FM make you feel like you're having an ear or toothache?? I am going to finish the antibiotic cycle, and if the pain is still existing after that, then i will go to the dentist.

I was just wondering if i'm "imagining" this constant low-grade ache, or if it's fibro related?
Would love to have your opinion on this.
Have a good day!
Nancy~

Old 12-10-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: Ear Infection or Toothache??

Yes, FM can make you feel like you have an ear ache or a toothache. This has happened to me many, many times in the past. I finally realized that when I was under stress and my FM acted up I would get these ear/tooth aches. I always ended up going to the dentist and he said my mouth was out of alignment.

However, I figured out that my jaw muscles were tight. If I pressed in certain spots, I could make the pain worse. As I learned to relax, in a couple of weeks the muscles would stop their spasms and my ear and tooth or teeth would feel better.

Like you, most of the time, I could not distinguish which tooth it was.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2004, 04:19 PM   #3
(female)

Tootsie Roll HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger
Yes, FM can make you feel like you have an ear ache or a toothache. This has happened to me many, many times in the past. I finally realized that when I was under stress and my FM acted up I would get these ear/tooth aches. I always ended up going to the dentist and he said my mouth was out of alignment.

However, I figured out that my jaw muscles were tight. If I pressed in certain spots, I could make the pain worse. As I learned to relax, in a couple of weeks the muscles would stop their spasms and my ear and tooth or teeth would feel better.

Like you, most of the time, I could not distinguish which tooth it was.

Dear twanger,
WOW...you have put my mind at ease now. I'm still taking the antibiotics, but hardly any relief. I guess i'll just have to wait until it goes away on its own. Thank you sooooooo much for writing back, because i was going to call the dentist tomorrow and make an appointment.
Nancy~

Last edited by Tootsie Roll; 12-10-2004 at 04:21 PM.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:41 AM   #4
(female)

JenniferEvelynn HB User

Hi all,
Isn't TMJ also a part of FM?
I've also had jaw/tooth/ear pain which I relate to FM.
Seems every ache and pain is related to FM.
I hope I don't become like the boy who cried wolf and ignore and ache or a pain that turns out to be something more serious!
God bless, Jen

Old 12-14-2004, 06:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Yes, TMJ is related to FM as well as many other syndromes. Most of my pain is either TMJ or FM.

Old 12-14-2004, 08:17 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

there is another condition called cronic myofacial pain. it affects the facia which is a sheath of tissue that encapsulates all our soft tissue. it gets inflamed and can cause a myriad of symptoms. i have tmj and i got a splint to wear in my mouth. what a difference. i was out of allignment. not knowing i had cmp i had alot of dental work done and eventually lost all of my upper teeth. had my dentist known we would have taken a different path.
good luck,
bluelakelady

Old 12-14-2004, 08:59 AM   #7
(female)

Tootsie Roll HB User

Hi everyone...thank you for all the valuable information. Some of the abbreviations i'm not familiar with..what is TMJ?

I have only (2) more days to take the antibiotics since i orginally posted this question ...however, the pain IS still there, but not as bad...so i guess my next step is to the dentist.
Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me.
God bless you all.
Nancy~

Old 12-15-2004, 11:08 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi nancy,
tmj is short for transmandibular joint. it is the joint that allows you to open and close your mouth. it is located near the ear. ask your dentist to examine your mouth where your lips connect to the inside of your mouth at the center top and bottom. with your mouth closed they should line up. also a simple test is look in the mirror at the center of your eye where the tear duct is. are they level? there are many simple non invasive tests that can be done to see if tmj is your "why". a simple splint worn in the mouth to realign the transmandibular joint really is a tiny miracle.
please post when you find out what your dentist has to say. i had 4 doctors in the room with me doing their tests, talking about their thoughts on me, and giving me a mental picture of what was going on inside of me. there is nothing that can be done for me. i waited too long to seek help. i was blaming it all on fms. silly me.
knowledge is power. go get yourself some power.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 12-27-2004, 12:42 PM   #9

lighthouses HB User

I also went thru the same as you. I started out going to my dentist and ruled out problems there and he sent me to an oral surgeon to x-ray my jaw and it had some arthritis and said it was TMJ. He sent me to a therapist and did therapy and ultra sound for 6 weeks 2-3x wk and it did help and gave me some real simple exercises to do especially when I felt stressed and showed me how to position my tongue in my mouth to try and relax those jaw muscles so you may want to go that route and see if it helps.

Closed Thread