It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #1
(female)

Toodle HB User
Does anyone get pain in base of skull

I get real bad pain on the back side of my neck at the base of my skull on both sides. This happens for days at a time every couple weeks or so. I also suffer with extreme neck tightness in the front and up to my jaw and ear.

Old 12-27-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User
Re: Does anyone get pain in base of skull

Yes, Char I did...then I finally went through IgeneX labs in Palo Alto, CA and was retested for tick borne illness and came back positive for Lyme, Babesiosis, and Ehrlichiosis. Since treatment for the Babesia I know longer get these strange, radiating headaches I did. They would start at the base of my skull and radiate just to the half way mark all the way around my skull. They would cycle every 3 weeks or so. Tick borne illness and bacteria cycle so symptoms wax and wane.

It was the Babesia. After having antimalarial like treatment they have disappeared. Of course, I am also getting antibiotic treatment for the Lyme and Ehrlichia I have too so maybe it was a combination of all of them.

I want to mention I never had a bull's eye rash, nor do I remember a tick bite. I was initially diagnosed with Epstein Barr Virus, CFS, and Fibro. I had tested negative twice through conventional labs for lyme and coinfections.

I would get tested by a LLMD (lyme literate M.D.) - the lyme board here at healthboards can help you find one closest to where you live.

I hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2004, 06:00 PM   #3

ConfusedWorried HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char123
I get real bad pain on the back side of my neck at the base of my skull on both sides. This happens for days at a time every couple weeks or so. I also suffer with extreme neck tightness in the front and up to my jaw and ear.
yeah i have it constantly

Old 12-28-2004, 03:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

i have this too, no one has mentioned lymes. im requesting every test i see on here, they dont bother otherwise, april x

Old 12-28-2004, 05:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Dear Char,

I can't really comment on the medical side of your problem, but may I suggest something? Perhaps it is something you might try whilst you are waiting to go to see the doctor for a diagnosis.

I have the exact same neck agony as you. I get quite a bit of relief by something I do with my pillow. I roll a large sized towel up tightly and insert it into the bottom of my pillowcase. Then when I then put my head on my pillow, the towel inside is positioned at my neck. My shoulders and upper body can then relax as the pillow/towel is then supporting my upper neck and therefore the strain of trying to get my neck comfortable is taken away. The pressure is also taken off my jaw and front of neck also. It takes a bit of getting used to, but honestly it really works for me personally.

As I say, this is just something I do to relieve the awful pain. I know you can buy special pillows, but they charge so much for them, and I have found this method using a towel to be just as effective at supporting my neck.

As you said, it seems the pain continues day after day. I found that because my neck hurt so much I was hunching my shoulder and never getting away from the stiffness and so on. Please try this. It's just something I thought might help you.

Best regards

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 12-28-2004 at 05:58 AM.

Old 12-28-2004, 07:04 PM   #6
(female)

krystlezaidi HB User

Char, I ahve a constant pain inmy heaad all over it seems to be the worst when i wake up

Old 12-29-2004, 06:11 AM   #7
(female)

JenniferEvelynn HB User

I agree with goldenwings. Your pillow may have a great deal to do with how your neck/head/shoulders feel. I find if I am not positioned well on my pillow or I have an uncomfortable pillow, I feel awful when I wake in the morning - stiff neck, aching shoulders, headache. My husband got a new pillow a few weeks ago - a Sealy. You know the commercials with the Sealy mattresses - people test the mattresses in the store and fall asleep instantly... my husband jokes about his pillow. He won't stay awake long, cuz its a Sealy!!! Well, let me tell you, I used his pillow for a few hours after he got up for work the other day - I had a horrible stiff neck when I woke up!!!! Experiment with some different pillows. Go to the store and feel 'em up and see what would seem most comfortable to you. Every little bit helps - and a good solution to some of your pain could simply be a new pillow!!!!!
God bless, Jen

Old 12-30-2004, 09:07 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User

I have a special cerical pillow but like Goldenwings said you can get about the same amount of support from the rolled up towel in your pillow.

I've been seeing a chiropractor who REALLY helps with the neck stiffness and pain. She's on holidays this week and I had to go see an emergency chiro clinic (my neck was so sore). It feels much better today and i can now turn my head to the side!!

Old 01-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #9

lighthouses HB User

I also have a lot of neck pain and stiffnew and aches and pains in the back lower skull area too and the jaw. I get migraines a lot too. I have had lots of physical therapy and therapy for the jaw which that did help. My eyes also hurt too. I do go to a chiro and have what they call an AO treatment and it does help my neck pain and relieves the headaches if I go about every 2 weeks. I have never been tested for ticks etc either---just told it is all fibro

Old 01-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
(female)

Ashleysmom HB User

Just wanted to say that I also suffer form alot of neck pain, especially at the base of the skull. I have tried many thing including injections, chiropractors, massage, amd many, many meds! I did end up buying a tempur-pedic pillow. Not the weird shaped one, but the regular looking pillow and have found that it halps my neck pain somewhat. You might want to give it a try.
Donna

Closed Thread