It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 11:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User
To those on Opiates & Muscle Relaxers, I have a question

Hello everyone--
I have a question. I am getting by without much help at all. I feel like I do have Fibromyalgia but I feel like something else is going on too. I don't have any answers. I'm just trying to take care of myself the best I can. I take Ibruprophen daily which helps a good deal. Occasionally my pain is severe enough to warrant my taking Darvocet which I only take occasionally and as needed. It isn't really strong but it does help me. I have two small children though and there are several times when I would take it but I don't like the side effects and when I'm the one in charge of the kids all day, I don't want to be sleepy or out of it, so I hurt. My husband is a massage therapist and he says that my muscles are frequently rock hard to the touch. I have thought about asking about muscle relaxers for pain when I don't want to take the darvocet. I know however that muscle relaxers have their share of unwanted side effects as well, drowsiness being one of them. I thought I'd ask those of you who take opiates and muscle relaxers what your side effects are like from both drugs and which of the two based one their effects you prefer? Thank you so much for helping me!
Love,
Shawnee

The following user gives a hug of support to UT_mom:
kgariba2 (10-19-2011)
Old 02-09-2005, 12:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
Re: To those on Opiates & Muscle Relaxers, I have a question

Hiya! What is your dx that renders your taking the Darvacet? You haven't been dx'd with FM? Have you brought it up to your doc, and do you show any of the symptoms of FM? Just wondering.

As for muscle relaxants, there are so many and so many react differently. I take Zanaflex 3mg 3X daily, but it will make you sleepy. Of course you can get a lower dose. Baclofen is another muscle relaxant. Flexeril is another. Soma is another, although pretty strong (but it does nothing for me!)

Having your husband be a massage therapist is such a blessing for you! I'm sure he knows about "deep tissue" massage. That works best for FM. It can hurt for the first couple times, because it gets so deep into our muscle tissue, but it really does work well for FM. You should talk to your doc, if you are showing signs of having FM.

Also, Ultram/Tramadol is a good non-narcotic pain med that a lot of people who have moderate to severe pain like using.

Take a look on the Net. Just do a search on muscle relaxants and once you get past all the sites trying to sell the darn things to you, you can find good info as to what the side effects are, and what kind of muscle pain they work best for. Word of warning. The more you research drugs, the more your junk email box fills up with "buy me" ads. Boy that just yanks my chain. You can't even research meds without be bombarded by drug ads! Let alone the "other" med ads we all seem to get! LOL I'm amazed sometimes at how creative the spammer can be with the wording of the specific med they are trying to get you to click on!

So, I hope this helps you some. Raising children is enough to tighten any one's muscles! It's hard work. And lucky you to have a husband who is a massage therapist. I always say, I would love to have a massage therapist, a carpenter/handyman and a automechanic in the family!

Nice to meet you by the way.

tk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2005, 01:56 AM   #3
(female)

ravenstardust HB User
Cool Re: To those on Opiates & Muscle Relaxers, I have a question

I've taken almost every med mentioned in the last post at one time or another ... I'm very prone to becomeing drowsy when takeing either muscle relaxers or opiates . However the best combination so far for me has been one 650mg. darvocet and one to two 800mg ibuprofen . I do get slleepy at first then they at least take the edge off the day to day pain . However if I were you I'd make sure thaqt your doctor has ruled out any other illnesses 100% and that he does diagnose you with fibromyalgia before you begin to take any of the meds mentioned . Because if your doctor gets you started on takeing things for pain and you have something other than fibromyalgia the drugs can hide it ... For almost 24 years NOW I've had FMS . I've also had arthritis and chronic fatigue , I didn't even know I had CFS or arthritis because the FM masked the symptoms and the pain meds helped me not to notice until one day I got slammed out on my porch due to a really strong wind that yanked my door out of my hand . I went to see my doctor and he ordered X-rays . Well when I went to see him he said " the good news is you haven't hurt your hip but the bad news is ... Your arthritis has become advanced in your knee's and has traveled to other joints as well" I looked at him like he was a nut case and said "but I don't have arthritis" Turns out all these years various doctors had just ignored that fact that I've had arthritis in my knee's and ankles since a motorcycle werck I was in when I was 17 ... I'm 41 now , at least now I know what I can do to help the pain ...

Last edited by ravenstardust; 02-09-2005 at 02:00 AM.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:55 AM   #4
(female)

mbeltram HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caden/logan_mom
Hello everyone--
I have a question. I am getting by without much help at all. I feel like I do have Fibromyalgia but I feel like something else is going on too. I don't have any answers. I'm just trying to take care of myself the best I can. I take Ibruprophen daily which helps a good deal. Occasionally my pain is severe enough to warrant my taking Darvocet which I only take occasionally and as needed. It isn't really strong but it does help me. I have two small children though and there are several times when I would take it but I don't like the side effects and when I'm the one in charge of the kids all day, I don't want to be sleepy or out of it, so I hurt. My husband is a massage therapist and he says that my muscles are frequently rock hard to the touch. I have thought about asking about muscle relaxers for pain when I don't want to take the darvocet. I know however that muscle relaxers have their share of unwanted side effects as well, drowsiness being one of them. I thought I'd ask those of you who take opiates and muscle relaxers what your side effects are like from both drugs and which of the two based one their effects you prefer? Thank you so much for helping me!
Love,
Shawnee
hi mb here
i do take muscle relaxers but not all the time because they for me stop working if you take them to much. i have been on flexorel and soma. flexerol is good they last longer then somas. flexerol may make you sleepy but for me if i stay up with them its like it reverses the affect of being sleepy. somes on the other hand if i havent took them in awhile they make me feel like i have had a case of beer. sometime they do and sometimes they dont , really i dont understand that.i dont like take meds i have had some real bad side effects on meds. i will not take anymore anti-d. they do really wierd things to me. my pain meds. dont mix. scared to. hope i have helped. mb

Old 02-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

hey ther c&l's mom, i too have small children a 2 and 5 yr old. i also take norco 4times daily and 1 soma in am and 1 in pm. i do get sleepy during the day so i take a good nap while my daughter takes hers and while my son is at school. it seems to work out well. if i need to lay down again i will when my husband gets home from work at 4.30 or so. the pain in my back is really bad and i wouldn't know what i would do if i couldnt take anything. i also try and do yoga and get the kids involved and they like that. however like this past weekend till today i have been feeling really bad and the things i listed haven't been helping as much. i'm having a flare up that started when my daughter got fever and was sick with a cold last week. you know how that could be. lots of late nights and carrying. well good luck with everything and hang in there. this site is great so keep in touch. let us know how your visit goes when you get to go to the doctor. ROBIN(girl75)

Last edited by girl75; 02-09-2005 at 12:22 PM.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
(female)

Oldbones HB User
Arrow Re: To those on Opiates & Muscle Relaxers, I have a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by caden/logan_mom
Hello everyone--
I thought I'd ask those of you who take opiates and muscle relaxers what your side effects are like from both drugs and which of the two based one their effects you prefer? Thank you so much for helping me!
Love,
Shawnee
Hi Shawnee.....
I know that you have Fibromyalgia and possible Lupus because we both post on the Lupus board. You probablly know that I too have Fibro and Lupus. I've been taking 1 1/2 to 2 tablets of 4mg. Zanaflex at night for a couple of years. Doctor thinks it will help the Fibro symptoms and also helps to get a better nights rest which is so important. I can also take it during the day if I need to. To be honest, I can't tell that it does a lot of good for me but I do know that muscle relaxants help a lot of people. I also take Lortab 10/650 for the awful Lupus joint pain. If I take the Zanaflex and Lortabs together, I will feel more relaxed and get sleepy. That's about the only combination that makes me sleepy. Of course, narcotics don't affect me the way they do a lot of people. I've been awake during 3 different colonoscopies even though the last time, the gastroenterologist said he was putting a little somethng "extra" in with the sedation to put me out. Didn't work! The doctors just say that I'm one of those people that are hard to sedate. So my point is.....you never know how a muscle relaxant or a narcotic will react on each individual. I don't have any children at home so if I am having severe pain and need to take some meds, I can and I do.

Maybe you should start with a small dose of a muscle relaxant to see how you react to it. I don't think anyone should suffer with pain when there are so many meds that will help. Darvocet 100 would help some when I took it with Zanaflex. Ultram, Ultracet and Tramadol all make me feel just downright whacky. I refuse to EVER take any of those again.

Do be careful about taking too much ibuprofen such as Motrin. It's bad for your liver in high doses. I know you aren't taking very much but just thought I would throw that in. Talk to your doctor and tell him you need something for the muscle pain. I do know what you are going through. There are days that I can't stand for anyone to even hug me.

Blessings to you,
Oldbones

Old 02-09-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

you can always break the pills in half. i do that when i need to be aware and functional.
i congradulate you on putting your children first. well done mom!
peace,
bluelakelady

Closed Thread