It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User
shaking,like a parkinson shake

hi, im trying to loook at my family history, my father has lots of symptoms like mine, maybe little bit stronger ones. his father my grandfather used to have epilepsy and used to shake, doctors put it down to parkinsons but we dont think it was. what do people think? i have read shaking is a symptom of fibro, on the ist. cheers guys! love april xx

Old 02-11-2005, 06:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luv2read HB User
Re: shaking,like a parkinson shake

Hi April,

I was dx'd with fibro in 96. Back then I startet getting like a nervous shake (like when putting popcorn in little treat bags, etc). Then about 3 or 4 yrs ago I started to get a tremor in my right wrist and thumb only AFTER doing anything physical with arm or hand.

Last year I started getting a right wrist-thumb tremor 24/7. It comes out when I bend my wrist back towards my body. A dr at CC said it is caused from the effexor xr.

All types of my tremors get much, much worse w/ stress, anxiety, or even happy excited times, and after physical use of limb.

My psychologist's mom and her sister have parkinsons. She did tell me yesterday that she has never seen/heard of effexor xr causing a wrist-thumb tremor. But, she said that maybe the dr at CC has seen someone before with this type of wrist-thumb tremor who's taking effexor xr.

My grandpa had alzheimers and pd.
And my grandma had progressive supranuclear palsy ( a pd+ disease)

What kind of shakes are you getting?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

its my granfather that was getting the shakes permenently and im looking at if he could of had fibro, and my father and me also. i shake occasionly. after feeling breathlessness. I do get finger moving or wrist sometimes. i was on effexor but had some of this before any way. love april xx

Old 02-11-2005, 07:23 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

luv2read HB User

I have read of people w/fibro who get the shakes/tremors.

I have lots of them and have fibro.

My psychologist banned me from looking up "tremors" on the internet!! Only gets my health anxiety going.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #5

SuzU HB User

LOL- I get the "health anxiety" from reading the internet too! I'm not dx'ed with fibro yet, but my neuro suspects it. Parkinson's tremors are different in that they occur with rest. Other tremors generally occur with activity or gravity. Mine are the latter type. I'm not sure what type are supposed to be common with Fibro-but if I find out, I'll let you know.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

hi suzu, i used to be terrible surfing net and reading scary stuff! too much info can be harmful! hope your well xx

Old 02-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
(female)

ukiahvalleymom HB User

Hi, I have the tremors when I am in a flare-up it seems, the worse I feel the more I shake, even the insides shake. It causes all my muscles to hurt even more. Does anyone experience all over pain from head to foot with the tremors?
looking forward to your responses,
ukiahvalleymom

Old 02-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #8

SuzU HB User

I have the internal shakes too, plus my lips and my jaw and sometimes it feels like my eyeballs are even shaking. My arms hands and legs shake all day long whenever I try to move them purposefully.
I'm also very clumsy and drop stuff because I'm shaking and unsteady.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:18 PM   #9
(male)

storekeeper HB User

Parkinson disease shaking happens when you are resting. Therefore the name of resting tremors. Other drugs can induce parkinson like symptons. therefore see your doctor about how your meds. may effect you in relationship to parkinson

Old 04-10-2005, 04:57 PM   #10
(male)

holdenyosarian HB User

Anyone who has been diagnosed w/ fibromyalgia and also consumes drinks with aspartame/has a history of using any artificial sweetener or food containing aspartame should first cut all aspartame out of his/her diet. Likewise anyone who has shakes/trembles of any other description. Aspartame is metabolized into wood alcohol and formaldehyde in the human body, (among several other things), both of which are extremely poisonous and can result in permanemt nervous/neurological damage. Many cases of aspartame poisoning have been misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia.
Incidentally, for those who take effexor, or any other norepinepherine re-uptake inhibitor such as reboxitine, or even supplements which result in increases in the amount of norepinepherine such as L-tyrosine or L, or DL-phenylalanine, any increase in norepinenepherine levels can result in tremor.
Norepinepherine is very similar to epinepherine, chemically (epinepherine is better known in the U.S as adrenaline...), and can cause such a "tremor" or shake,especially in the fine motor control muscles of the extremeties.
I would recommend that anyone with such a tremor have a thyroid profile performed before embarking on any other course of treatment, as low levels of TSH or increased levels of T4 (symptoms of high thyroid gland output), and an adrenal profile, as well. Beta-blockers are the most common means of addressing such symptoms and are cheap and readily available.
It's hard to give much more advice without a more in-depth description of your "shakes" and the circumstances/conditions under which you experience them...
...anyone interested in more info can e-mail me at [ please carefully read and follow the posting rules - no emails ]

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Last edited by moderator2; 04-10-2005 at 05:24 PM. Reason: please carefully read and follow the posting rules - no emails

Old 04-11-2005, 08:00 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

we have aspartame in our no added squash here. my son dont have it all the time buts got me worried too?x

Old 04-17-2005, 07:01 AM   #12
(male)

storekeeper HB User

Certain drugs will cause what is called drug induced parkinson . Once a person finds out which drug(s) is causing the symptons. Get off it and the shakes could go away.

Old 04-17-2005, 07:38 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

There is something new they are talking about. It is called NPH---Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. It mimics Parkinson's. It's worth checking out. Good luck. PS---They said it is a neurological disorder---so I guess you go to the neurologist.

Closed Thread