It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
(female)

JenniferEvelynn HB User
Vitamin D

Hello my friends,
I may have mentioned this topic before: Vitamin D.

I just read an article about Vitamin D deficiency. It hit home because when I sent for my first rheummy appt he tested me for this. It turned out I had a deficiency and he prescribed 50,000 units per week for 8 weeks. I'm on week 6 this week and my next appt with him is next week. I assume he'll retest to see if my levels have come up. In this article it said that Vitamin D deficiency is commonly misdiagnosed as FM and/or Cronic Fatigue Syndrome. Not sure how I feel about that statement... hmmmmm. I don't know enough about enough about the side effects of the deficiency to know how true this statement is. It also said that there is a much higher incidence of Vitamin D deficiency in New England, especially in winter. I live in Connecticut, so that hit home too. Typical exposure to Vitamin D is sunshine and a few foods. The problem arises because we're so nervous about skin cancer that we don't get enough exposure to the sun - and if we are exposed we tend to use sunblock, which reduced the absorption of the Vitamin D. Kind of a catch 22, eh?

I'm wondering if vitamin d is something I should be taking every day. A multi-vitamin is good, but not good enough when it comes to D (according to the article). That makes me wonder about too much vitamin d - is there such a thing? It said that if you took 10,000 - 20,000 units daily it could lead to overdose. I think I need medical advice on this!

Any input on this???? God bless, Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User
Re: Vitamin D

Its more than just my opinion that taking excessive amounts of Vitamin D can be extremely harmful to your health. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin so it is very easy to overdose on it. That could lead to kidney stones, muscle weakness, and vomitting. The truth is most of the time, ten to 15 minutes of sunshine to you face 3 times weekly is adequate to produce the body's requirement of vitamin D. You don't need much more than that. Even if you don't get that much, most of us eat dairy or cereal that is fortified with it so you should be ok either way. If you decide to supplement, don't take more than 400 IU daily.

Old 02-16-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferEvelynn
Hello my friends,
I may have mentioned this topic before: Vitamin D.

I just read an article about Vitamin D deficiency. It hit home because when I sent for my first rheummy appt he tested me for this. It turned out I had a deficiency and he prescribed 50,000 units per week for 8 weeks. I'm on week 6 this week and my next appt with him is next week. I assume he'll retest to see if my levels have come up. In this article it said that Vitamin D deficiency is commonly misdiagnosed as FM and/or Cronic Fatigue Syndrome. Not sure how I feel about that statement... hmmmmm. I don't know enough about enough about the side effects of the deficiency to know how true this statement is. It also said that there is a much higher incidence of Vitamin D deficiency in New England, especially in winter. I live in Connecticut, so that hit home too. Typical exposure to Vitamin D is sunshine and a few foods. The problem arises because we're so nervous about skin cancer that we don't get enough exposure to the sun - and if we are exposed we tend to use sunblock, which reduced the absorption of the Vitamin D. Kind of a catch 22, eh?

I'm wondering if vitamin d is something I should be taking every day. A multi-vitamin is good, but not good enough when it comes to D (according to the article). That makes me wonder about too much vitamin d - is there such a thing? It said that if you took 10,000 - 20,000 units daily it could lead to overdose. I think I need medical advice on this!

Any input on this???? God bless, Jen

Jen, my advice would be to research on the web. See if the FDA has a website (doesn't everyone have a website? ) and maybe call a nutritionist. You say your rheumy gave you this? How about sending this back to your PCP. See what he/she says. The ACR believes that more and more of us Fibromites should be treated by our PCP's since they probably know us more personally and the ACR says that in most cases your PCP knows just as much about treating FM as a rheumy does. The President of the ACR addressed the conference about this topic and said that rheumies are usually not prepared to treat the complexities of FM and therefore may not be the ideal doc to treat the condition, unless they have personally tried to educate themselves further on the condition.

Anyway, back on topic. Whew! I do get off track, sorry. Check on the web, it is a good tool, and I would see if you have a nutritionalist that you can call.

Good luck, and you can come down here with me. I live in southern Alabama right on the gulf coast and we have plenty of Vitamin D for you, and believe me, having grown up in Iowa, I'd love to give it away during those 9 month long summers.

Post back and let us know what you found out.

Here's wishing you a good spirit.
tk

Old 09-18-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
(female)

warrenpoint HB User

I have just been given prescription Vit. D for parathyroid hormone level too high. My doc prescribed 50,000 ius three times a week but pharmacy filled the prescrip. 3 x 50,000 ius. pr day. I did not know what the prescription said so took the vit. for 2 months, then doc did a test and found I had been overdosed. I am having some symptoms and now remember lots of others I have had during this time. Have palpations and chest pressure. Went to doc last week and had ekg which came back not normal. So now am going through all kinds of tests for this toxcity. Does anyone know of any long term effects of this. thanks for any help.

Closed Thread