It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 04:42 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User
Fibro Awareness Day help

FireFlyGurlAsh inspired me and made me think. I would love to do something at my school for FIbromyalgia Awareness Day, but what could I do? My school is huge (about 1800 people). Only me and one of my teachers from last year has Fibro that I know of. Any ideas....? Please help!!

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 03-10-2005, 07:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
Re: Fibro Awareness Day help

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsGirl4ever06
FireFlyGurlAsh inspired me and made me think. I would love to do something at my school for FIbromyalgia Awareness Day, but what could I do? My school is huge (about 1800 people). Only me and one of my teachers from last year has Fibro that I know of. Any ideas....? Please help!!

Hey Hun,

Good idea. I have some info, that I can post here for you later. Right now, I need to rest before a doc's appt. You know the day is May 12th ( I think! LOL) I know it's in May. So you have time. I ran across a "flyer" example for this year's FMAD, and I'll post back to describe what it looks like.

But for now, do a websearch on Fibromyalgia Awarenss Day, and you will see a lot of sites pop up that will give you some great ideas and info.

Here is some general info:

Annual Fibromyalgia Awareness Day was established in 1999.
Annual Fibromyalgia Awarness Day Proclamation Program, is an international program established in 1999 to promote Fibromyalgia awareness. Thousands of mayors and other elected officials have declared "Fibromyalgia Awareness Day" in their jurisdictions. Local groups have used the NFA's Awarness Day press releases to get media coverage of FM and details about their FM support group meetings out to their communities. Each year a new design is created for the annual awarness campaign, which includes flyers, buttons and posters.

All of the above mentioned you can obtain from the Net just by searching.

Basically what I saw of the flyer is a drawing of a woman, with a large body (not to indicated that we are overweight) but the body of the woman is large for a reason, her head is tilted downward and her arms are down at her side, now INSIDE this body is another drawing of a woman who's head is face up, and her arms are raised in a "celebration" kind of style. I'd draw it here if I could, but it would look hideous even if I could! The large body, IMO is us, holding inside us the "healthy" woman who lives within all of us. The large body appears to be symbolic of FM, and the smaller figure inside appearing to be celebrating is symbolic of our true innerselves which is "encapsulated" and "surrounded" by the FM body. This is just MY personal interpretation. I think it is meant to be "translated" in a very personal way by every one who has FM. Now I'm not meaning to poo poo the men who have FM, but the figure, to me, looked like a woman, at least it's face did, but it certainly could be "genderless". Look it up and see if you can find it and interpret it to fit your own relationship with FM. I'd put the website here where I saw it, but it's a .org and I know that some of those are "iffy" here. I know it doens't have chat or message boards, but I know it distributes a newsletter, so that is what I think may be the "no no". I can certainly put in a website post request. I can only be told no, not the end of the world, never know until you try! LOL

So, getting to typing and searching. I know you'll find what you need. Also like I have mentioned, we Fibromites have a pin. Our color is purple. The pin looks like the breast cancer pin and the yellow ribbon pins, only ours is purple. You can get these on ebay as well as other FM Awareness things. Search the "bay" for FM. K?

Good for you. I know that there has been an annual conference, it has been held in Canada a few times, which lasts a week, has guest speakers, doctors who treat FM and I think some members of the American College of Rheumatology attend. I haven't heard anything about a conference this year. I'm not sure, but I think the conference I'm thinking of was put together personally by a man who himself suffers from FM, but he has had a personal loss in his life, (wife passed) and I'm not sure he is organizing anylonger. But I think there are other such events. I'm not sure about this particular conference, I know it has, in the past, been a "big deal", and like I said I don't know if it is taknig place this year. Check it out! Search and learn. Then post back here! LOL

Good luck in your endeavor. You inspire others when you take on this challenge, and then more info get's out about FM, and I believe it leads to more and more intense research, simply influenced by people like you, and others who do any thing to promote awareness for this condition.

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
Mahatma Ghandi

tk

Last edited by tkgoodspirit; 03-10-2005 at 07:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread