It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 12:02 PM   #1

pastrygirl HB User
Smile anyone have nerve blocks done?

I was looking for any info or insight on nerve blocks. My doc referred me to a pain clinic and I am trying to educate myself before I go. has anyone had this done? Is it even worth the time of going to the pain clinic? any info would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-16-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
(female)

Lyn in Michigan HB User
Re: anyone have nerve blocks done?

Pastrygirl

I am having "Medial Branch Blocks" done this Friday. I have severe head, neck and shoulder pain and have tried everything to get rid of it. I had an anterior cervical discetomy (fusion) for bone spurs, arthritis, bulging discs and degeneration done on C5/6 6/7 Nov. 29, 2003 and that still didn't take my pain away. 6 weeks after my surgery, I had a whiplash car accident (not my fault) and that didn't help either.
I have had these blocks done before last year before surgery and they didn't take away the pain and I have also had a "great occipital nerve block" because the back of my head is always very sore and tender but that didn't take away the pain either. A few months ago I had 3 sets of steroid epidural injections which were injected into my epideral space under "fluroscopy" and the last one helped a bit and lasted for the weekend. That was the most relief I have had in 5 years. The Pain Management Doc. wants me to try the medial branch blocks again because he says because of the surgery and the car accident, he claims that I have a new neck and they just might work this time. Wish me luck!!! What they do is put an injection of numbing solution into your facet joints and hope that it will numb and take away the pain. They keep you at the clinic for about 1 hour and see if there is a difference in your pain level. If your pain level is better than 50% relief then they do one again another week later just to make sure that it isn't a placebo effect. If you get relief at all from that then they schedule another appt. and it is the same kind of needle into the same area exactly only this time the end of it is very hot and they burn the nerves under some kind of radiography machine. It is supposed to last for up to 6 months and yes it is just masking the problem but I will take any amount of pain relief. They say I have chronic myofascial pain (PM doc.) and my family doc. and neurosurgeon think it is fibromyalgia. I am a 53 year old female and I am not giving up yet.
I will keep you posted at how these injections work. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Take care
Lyn in Michigan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 01:00 AM   #3

pastrygirl HB User

thanx for the info lyn! I just have to mention that my middle name is lyn(spelled the same way!) and I also live in Michigan! Yes, I would like to know how that works for you - although I have only been diagnosed since dec of 2004, I am already tired of taking all these drugs and pills! I am always open to new options. Good luck to you with this and I hope it does the trick.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn in Michigan
Pastrygirl

I am having "Medial Branch Blocks" done this Friday. I have severe head, neck and shoulder pain and have tried everything to get rid of it. I had an anterior cervical discetomy (fusion) for bone spurs, arthritis, bulging discs and degeneration done on C5/6 6/7 Nov. 29, 2003 and that still didn't take my pain away. 6 weeks after my surgery, I had a whiplash car accident (not my fault) and that didn't help either.
I have had these blocks done before last year before surgery and they didn't take away the pain and I have also had a "great occipital nerve block" because the back of my head is always very sore and tender but that didn't take away the pain either. A few months ago I had 3 sets of steroid epidural injections which were injected into my epideral space under "fluroscopy" and the last one helped a bit and lasted for the weekend. That was the most relief I have had in 5 years. The Pain Management Doc. wants me to try the medial branch blocks again because he says because of the surgery and the car accident, he claims that I have a new neck and they just might work this time. Wish me luck!!! What they do is put an injection of numbing solution into your facet joints and hope that it will numb and take away the pain. They keep you at the clinic for about 1 hour and see if there is a difference in your pain level. If your pain level is better than 50% relief then they do one again another week later just to make sure that it isn't a placebo effect. If you get relief at all from that then they schedule another appt. and it is the same kind of needle into the same area exactly only this time the end of it is very hot and they burn the nerves under some kind of radiography machine. It is supposed to last for up to 6 months and yes it is just masking the problem but I will take any amount of pain relief. They say I have chronic myofascial pain (PM doc.) and my family doc. and neurosurgeon think it is fibromyalgia. I am a 53 year old female and I am not giving up yet.
I will keep you posted at how these injections work. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Take care
Lyn in Michigan
Hi Lynn, I just had a facet today, It helped me, But are you saying they burn your nerve ? My Dr said somthing about doing a longer version to make it last longer . But he didnt mention burning my nerve. Is this worse than the facet itself ? Thanks

Old 05-18-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
(female)

Lyn in Michigan HB User

Hi
On Tuesday I had a procedure called "Radio Frequency Lesioning" where they actually go in under x-ray (fluroscopy) and the burned or lesioned the nerves in my cervical spine on C3,4&5. It took a bit longer than a medial branch block which are just test shots to see if the pain gets any less and if it does then you are a good candidate for the lesioning. It takes a few weeks before you will know if it is working or not. Since I am only 2 days after the procedure I can tell yet if it is going to work although since this afternoon my neck area and shoulder area has started to feel numb. To me that is a good thing because the muscle pain and ache is starting to lessen. This is only a temporary fix as the nerves grow back eventually. This could last from 3 months to a year before they start to grow back. This will tell me if my pain is in fact myofascial (facet joint pain) . I will keep you posted on how I progress after a few more days. I have also been told I have fibromyalgia so it might only take a bit of the pain away.
Take care
Lyn in Michigan

Old 05-19-2005, 04:32 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Lyn in Michigan, Did it hurt to have it burnt ? I do not Like needles, The facet injection wasnt bad, And I didnt have any kid of shot for my nerves. Do they put you under, or dope you up for the nerve burning ? Thanks, and I hope your pain in the neck never comes back.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #7
(female)

Lyn in Michigan HB User

Shawley

Radio Frequency Lesioning: Hi it probably was about the same amount of pain (which isn't that bad) as the nerve block. They inject a sedative into your IV and you are aware of what is going on around you but the needles hurt a lot less. If you got through a nerve block then this is not much different. When they burn the nerves they have already gone in with the needle to numb the area and that is when you can feel the pain and the nerve burning itself it painless. You can't feel any different. You have to be awake to tell the doctor when you feel a bit of a tingling sensation and then a few seconds later you can feel a bit of pulsing but nothing major. I am feeling a bit number again today and that is not a bad thing because when I push into my neck muscles where it is usually is very very sore, it feels numb and therefore somewhat painless. It is starting to feel a lot better already so I am very hopeful that this is helping. Earlier this morning I felt a bit dizzy and nauseated but that has gone away now. I will keep you posted.
Where is your pain and tell me about your nerve block!!!
Take care of yourself and I will talk to you soon.
Lyn in Michigan

Old 05-19-2005, 10:34 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Lyn in Michigan,
Hello, Thanks for the info, A nerve block ? Was that what is was ? Seriously I dont know, All I know it was to numb my lower back and hips for 1 day, I have to call the Doc here soon and let them know my pain level . Maybe thats what there going to do to me, Cut the nerve ? I dont know yet.
I'll keep you informed. Its nice to be able to talk to people who know whats goin on. Thanks

Old 05-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Hi Lyn, It took most of the pain away, I had the shot at 8:00 am, By 4:00 pm my pain was back. But the whole time I had this thumping pain down my left leg. And weakness. Seemed my leg wanted to buckle under me..I Called and told them, But they said not to worry. Said on the paper I was given if you feel any weakness or numbing in my leg or foot to call . So i did..Yeah they told me the shot wouldnt last long,A day I thought, Gee I got 8 hours out of it. lol..

Closed Thread