It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2005, 10:39 PM   #1

blazen_scarlet HB User
Med to help with Fatigue!

Ok i will try this post here hoping someone will know.
Hello everyone i need your help i am trying to think of a med name for my doctor but can not remember it. There is a commercial for it It starts with "A" and it is to help with fatigue and energy. If anyone knows please post it. Also what else does everyone take to help with the fatigue.
Thanks
Holly

Old 03-21-2005, 12:00 PM   #2

SuzU HB User
Re: Med to help with Fatigue!

Are you thinking of amantadine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #3

blazen_scarlet HB User

Nope that is not it but thanks for trying

Old 03-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User

Could it be Avlimil? It's touted as a nutraceutical for womens lives and various aspects of needs for more energy, sexual enhancement, etc.
Maybe?
SS

Old 03-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
(female)

dyana HB User

maybe altovis? i saw it on tv too.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #6

blazen_scarlet HB User

yes that is it altovis thanks so much

Old 03-21-2005, 09:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that Altovis seems to be "marketed" by the same folks who put out Avlimil, and I took Avlimil for over 6 months and I felt no difference. It says to take it for 6 - 12 months before you may feel any "effects", but I didn't feel like spending over $25 (may have been more, I forget) for something that may or may not work and it may take up to one year to feel the effects. That's just me, but, hey you never know until you try.

Talk to your doc before you take it. Also look around some of the websites that promote herbal supplements and see if there may be something there. Also, check out the "sticky" post (first post on the FM board) where I listed a lot of vitamins, supplements and amino acids, I think there is something listed there for energy. Gingko Balaebo (sp?) is one, but I think there are others.

Good luck,
I know we definately need more energy!

tk

Old 03-23-2005, 12:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

I asked about Altovis and my doc said he hadn't heard of anyone using it but feels that remedies like that that are mass marketed concoctions that don't require a rx usually have a lot of caffeine in them and don't really do much especially for people like us who have daily debilitating fatigue. I have an appointment with him next Monday and I'm going to ask if he'll put me on a 6 week trial of Vitamin B-12 shots. I've researched a lot and they seem to help people w/ Fibro and CFIDS w/ their fatigue issues, but the shot works for them when the lozenges and oral tabs don't. You give yourself shots every 2-3 days and it's a very large dose of B-12, you also have to be sure to take a good vitamin w/ vitaming b-6 and folic acid in it. I'm hoping this will do something to help the fatigue. I do like the idea of it being natural though, I keep thinking to myself it can't hurt me plus I could use this during pregnancy and be okay. Good luck to all of you!
Love,
Shawnee

Old 03-24-2005, 01:25 PM   #9

kbak HB User

Blazen,
My fibro doc recommended provigil. It was developed for people with narcolepsy. Really suppose to help the fatigue. I haven't taken it yet because I haven't had that knock down fatigue since I been on good fibro treatment.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

I got a rx for Provigil and be warned, my insurance would not cover it for fatigue because it was "off-label" and it costs about $240 for a 30 day supply which I could never afford, but I too have heard it is a miracle drug for many folks! I'm curious about your "good fibro treatment" kbak, what is working for you?

Old 03-25-2005, 10:07 AM   #11

kbak HB User

caden,
Thanks for the heads up on Provigil. I didn't fill that script yet, and now I'll check before (if) I do. Have you noticed the price of most drugs? Yikkes!!! No wonder people are going out of country to get drugs. I've only just literally begun my "good fibro treatment". I've had fibro for 4 yrs. I'm big into natural health, so shyed away from drugs to treat this and have been going the natural route. I eat a very good organic diet and have been taking homeopathic and naturopathic items. Yet, I've been going steadily downhill. Just by luck or providence, someone gave me a link to a clinic 6 hrs. from me. This clinic was founded by a doc who himself has fibro. They use traditional and non traditional treatments. The first thing they did was take 16 viles of blood to send out for very extensive testing. I worked on an ambulance for 12 yrs. so I was very familar with some of the tests, but others were new to me. Then I was but on Gabitril for the deep resorative sleep that I need to get, and Neurontin for nerve pain. Boy, both of those really worked well for me! So now I wait for the blood work to come back, and they design a treatment for me and we go from there.
Hang in there!

Closed Thread