It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
(male)

Wildman HB User
Thank Goodness I Found You Folks!

Let me first of all express gratitude and appreciation to the members of this forum. This forum has a very nice demeanor and the signal to noise ratio is quite high.

I have not been diagnosed with anything (yet), as I'm scheduled to see my GP in about a week, and share my symptoms with him. I'm male, 38 and in overall good health (save for this last nasty bout with bronchitis, YUCK). I'm about 10lbs overweight and my BP is fine. I am taking 20mg Lexapro (one year so far) for depression that I've had for the last 20 years or so, 25mg Seroquel to help with sleep (one year so far). These meds have really helped me, greatly helping my quality of life.

This is what I have been experiencing for about the last three years

1. Almost constant flu-like aching in my thighs and knees.

2. The aching seems to be correlated with stress or times where I have really been overdoing it physically or mentally (yard work, home improvement projects, work).

3. When I go up or down stairs I walk like an old man due to the aching,
but my legs are quite strong - I am ABLE to bound up and down stairs like a healthy 18 year old can - IF I NEED TO. It's not comfortable but I am strong enough to do it no problem. I walk fine with no visible change in gait.

4. The pain really doesn't respond to Tylenol or Advil even when I stay on the maximum daily dosage. They're not good for me and they don't work, so I've been just living with the aching. It's just like I have really bad flu-aching on the lower half of my body.

5. I've had no injury to my legs/knees in sports or accidents that could account for any of this.

I will be sharing all of this with my doc next week. I haven't been there (save for my recent bronchitis) in 3 years. I never thought anything could be done for this, but it's been 2+ years of aching now and I am tired of the pain.

I see alot of people on this forum that present the same symptoms as me, which really helps me mentally as I thought I was unique with this and there was no hope.

Wildman

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User
Re: Thank Goodness I Found You Folks!

[QUOTE=Wildman]1. Almost constant flu-like aching in my thighs and knees.
etc.etc.etc.<

Hi Wildman,
You just told my story. Only I am at 5 yrs of leg pain and am now medicated for it. I thought I was going nuts and there was nothing to show the Dr. or so I thought but when I went to rheumatology I was diagnosed with jillions of triggerpoints all over my back which cause referred pain to
my legs...never ending pain...couldn't sleep pain. It's called myofascial pain; for the covering of the muscles is the fascia and myo stands for muscle. I am on the fentanyl patch 100mcgs every 48 hrs (thank God) I am 53 and from age 39 I ran 5 miles every day for 12 years......just a bit compulsive. And I mean I RAN...wind sprints ...the whole thing. I can hardly walk these days and I hate it but that is life. I am grateful I am not in a wheelchair. Everything you mentioned is what i have. See if your Dr. mentions this or at least will refer you to a rheumatologist...you don't have to continue in pain!
Sparkles
lots of Fibro folks have this in conjunction with Fibro...I just have the pain

Old 03-27-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
(male)

Wildman HB User

Fortunately for me, my sleep isn't affected by the pain, as the Seroquel I take at night knocks me right out. I do try to pay a great deal to my sleep regimen, I have found that a solid 8hrs every night does wonder for my attittude and my symptoms.

I do have access to Vicodin, and have taken as much as 40mg/day and it does help somewhat at that level. Mostly I think my perception of the pain is altered and I don't notice it that much. Did you go through the normal routine of CIII (vicodin/hydrocodone) to CII (percocet/oxycodone) before getting the patch?? Could you translate the 100 micrograms of fentanyl to a rough equivalent of hydro per day? I'd be interested in the comparison.

I've never been much of a runner, but I am very active around the house during the warmer months. Big yard and garden, 3 young kids - it all keeps me on my toes, but sometimes (frequently) I overdo it and have a really bad couple of days with the pain.

Unfortunately my job is a desk job and I sit 10 hours per day. I notice the pain the most when I am sitting. Today I felt OK, so I changed the oil in my car and cleaned up the garage - being active like that distracts me, but I have to sit 50+ hours a week for my job (software consulting).

Thanks for the support, I don't feel so alone now, although I do have the feeling that I will be dealing with the pain for some time to come.

Wildman

Old 03-29-2005, 07:01 AM   #4
(female)

JenniferEvelynn HB User

Good morning Wildman....
and welcome to the board. Sorry you had to find us, but glad that you did. You will find support and a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips!
I also have the same symptoms as you... mostly leg. Mine is hip pain which radiates down my legs. Sitting, standing, laying down - it really doesn't matter, the hip hurts all the same.
I went to a rheumy and he prescribed Ultracet - a pain med. I took it once but didn't do well. Sensitive to drugs is another symptom of FM. I mainly just tolerate the pain and whine a bit to my husband. He's a wonderful man and babys me when I need it most.
A good source on this site is "The List." Check it out, print it, bring it with you to the dr. It may help enlighten him/her as to what bothers you besides the leg pain.
Good luck and let us know how you do at the appt.
God bless, Jen

Closed Thread