It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

gagirl065 HB User
fibromyalgia and heat

Does heat, things like hot baths, heating pads, etc. does this seem to help the symptoms of firbro or hurt. I have been dx with MS, but question this dx. The only thing is that my symptoms get worse with the heat, any help would be apppreciated. Thanks

Old 04-14-2005, 04:34 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User
Re: fibromyalgia and heat

A lot of times heat, like a bath or a heat pack, seems to soothe my pain. Just a little.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2005, 05:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello gagirl,

Yes I too find a towel warmed, even a sheet of linen warmed until a comfortable heat does make a difference.

On your skin you can also add an essential oil mixture for it's warming properties and then placing the cover over warm is heaven. The key is that the material should not be too hot!!

Hope this helps. Enjoy!!

goldenwings

Old 04-14-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

dear gagirl,
i cannot tell you how many times a day i throw off my clothes and then run shivering for them to bundle up. this even happens in hot summer time. i use a heated pool for exercise and a hot tub for the days from hades when everything decides to have a hurtin party. i cannot handle any form of cold. i turn to stone.
if you are not happy with the ms dx get another opinion. i went thru, let's see, it's 18 doctors now, till i found my precious Laura. bless her. i have a bunch of letters that define the struggles in my body. they do not define me.
tie a knot in your rope and make a swing. that's what i do when i feel like the end of my rope is in sight.
your body will tell you what it wants. listen.
peace,
bluelakelady

Last edited by bluelakelady; 04-14-2005 at 08:32 AM.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirl065
Does heat, things like hot baths, heating pads, etc. does this seem to help the symptoms of firbro or hurt. I have been dx with MS, but question this dx. The only thing is that my symptoms get worse with the heat, any help would be apppreciated. Thanks
Hi! Yes, for you, heat is not your friend. Avoid it because it can stir up your ms symptoms.

When my eye had lots of swelling--macula edema/optic nerve problems and retinal vein occlusion-- I noticed heat from the shower bothered me. Once the eye edema lessened, the heat from the shower no longer affected me adversely. I've been thoroughly screened for ms and tests are negative and we are excluding or affirming fibro. Did you have a positive MRI and spinal tap? Why don't you believe your diagnosis?

Old 04-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #6

corin HB User

Yes heat bothers me, even in PT I avoid the spa and steam stuff like the plague.

Old 04-20-2005, 10:57 AM   #7
(female)

rachellepeters HB User

The hotter the bath the better -for me anyways- however I think I read somewhere that they recommend "warm baths...not hot"

But I LOVE IT HOT, so I do what I want
Rchelle

Old 04-20-2005, 01:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

A warm sometimes hot shower first thing every morning is what gets my muscles and joints moving!

Old 04-20-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
(female)

starlet32079 HB User

My mother has MS and her symptoms get so bad in the heat. She cannot even go outside if it hot out. That would make sense for the MS part of it.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

its funny the other night my mom was here at my house helping me with stuff and she got a heavy blanket out from the dryer and she gave it to me to put on my bed. anyway it felt so good in my arms i decieded to wrap it around my whole body and it was the best feeling i've had in along time. i felt like i was melting. of course it lasted only a couple of minutes but it was great.
love
robin

Old 04-21-2005, 03:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya everyone,

It all depends in our personal physiologial make up. In any type of treatment, what is good for one is not always good for another patient. By trial and error we find out what is best for us. Whatever it is, let's carry on doing it and get relief from our horrid pain.

Have a less painful day today friends .

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 04-21-2005 at 03:49 AM.

Closed Thread