It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User
Massages? Knots?

Do they feel good or do they just hurt? I know when someone works on my back, neck, shoulders, and other places that always hurt, it hurts really bad. The only place that really feels good is my feet.

Do massages really make anybody feel better? Sometimes I notice a difference but sometimes I don't. Most of the time I don't even know if I do.

And does anyone else have NEVER ENDING knots in their back and shoulders and neck? They are literally dozens, some huge and some small (small not meaning hurting less, that's for sure). And I think I got nerves wrapped up in some of them. Ick, it's horrible.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 04-26-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
(female)

earle HB User
Re: Massages? Knots?

my neck, back and shoulders stay in constant pain. massages?? no way... i spent over 100 for a couple of hours and she couldn't even touch me, i hurt so bad. she said i was so knotted up she couldn't get the points to relax, so i gave that up.

i've tried tons of muscle relaxers and don't like the side effects. i've also got bulging discs in my neck and they don't help either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

i use to work at a docs office as a receptionist and we had a message therapist that worked next door. she would come over to fax something or grab a chart and she would make her way around the front office rubbing our shoulders and neck. whenever she did mine i always felt so much worse afterwards. since then i don't like anyone to message my neck and shoulders. i tense up.
i would like to have a full body message though, maybe for mothers day, i hope

Old 04-27-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
(female)

JenniferEvelynn HB User

I would LOVE to have a professional massage! I've heard they are very relaxing but I worry about the effects it will have on my already sore body. Also, I'm nervous about being nekkid with only a towel on me. My luck I'd get a male therapist and not be able to go through with it. I know they have standards which they work by... I'm just a wuss!!!

God bless, Jen

Old 04-27-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

hey Jen, you are so funny. maybe you need someone named Helga (no offense please if anyones name is Helga please.)
you know i think it would be nice to have a strong muscular man to do my massage. it sounds like a romance novel or something someone with long hair.
okay I'm a little out of hand here. lol.
talk you later.
robin

Old 04-27-2005, 01:37 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User

I go for weekly massages to a therapist who is very FM aware. I only go for 15 minutes once a week and for very light massage, not deep tissue. At first, I was very tender and sore the following morning but now I find they help a great deal.

Old 04-27-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

The first massage I had was a 30min. massage, that was a couple months ago. I also was to chicken to have someone massage my muscles afraid it would do more harm than good. I solved the naked under a sheet problem with a lady therapist. I thought that 30 min was not enough and intend to do a full 60 next time, which I hope will be in a couple weeks. The lady that did mine knew about fibro and made sure she wasn't hurting or causing any pain. It did hurt a little at first but as she continued her gentle massage it started feeling great.

And Jen, it is not a towel you have on you, it is a full sheet you lay under and believe me a trained therapist never lets any part of your body except what they are working on show. Amazing how they can just keep working around that way.

Last edited by Glojer; 04-27-2005 at 06:03 PM. Reason: added more

Old 04-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

Does insurance ever cover massages?

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 04-27-2005, 07:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

hey godsgirl, i am not sure if insurance covers message but you can look into going to a message school and the students there do massages for i think half the price. Just an idea.
also if your insurance covers chiropractic care i know that some offices have massage therapist on staff and maybe it can be billed through the chiro office.
love,
robin

Old 04-27-2005, 08:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

oh i love my massages!!! Melissia is a massage therapist and her hubby is a chiro. They both know about fibro, he treats several fibro patients but she knows im scared stiff of chiropractors. So she treats me. She says she doesnt even charge me full price cause the treatment doesnt even make her break a sweat or get out of breath. meaning its mostly a mild massage cause otherwise she wouldnt be able to touch me. She is sooo good, i wouldnt go anywhere else. im actually thinking of calling her tomorrow and making an appt . i always sleep so much better after a treatment. Yea i used to hurt and get sore, but we're suppose to drink LOTS of water for the rest of the day after a massage to wash away the toxins that were released. if we dont, then they can cause pain. i wasnt really drinking that much water, maybe a bottle and thought that was good enough lol, now after a massage i drink water for the rest of the day.

Old 04-28-2005, 07:19 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

morning all,
i start my massages again next week. i have fms deep tissue massage and myofacial release massage therapy. when it hurts i tell her to go deeper. i know we have to get thru to the knots and help them remember where they live. i have muscle and tendon scar tissue forming ridges from years of being tensed in pain. i also have deformitites of the muscles due to facial inflamation. those areas, which sorta means my entire front and back trunk hurt during massage. as i said i push her to go deeper. for a day or two after massage i hurt. then i wake one morning and i am full of energy, have little echos of pain and usually have a great few days. then the cycle slips back just in time for another massage appt. my insurance does cover it. there is a dollar limit. i am sure they will let me know when i get to it.
i love my massages. even tho it hurts i hear my tissue waking up and feel it searching for its comfort zone. my tissue has forgotten how to relax. so many years of pain led to deformities in my posture. these days i am constantly saying to myself, stand up straight. sit up straight. pull that abdomen together. breath. use your muscles not your bones. i say lots of things now to myself. it helps. i am amazed at how many times a day i find myself in the "pain posture" starving for air. i am a slow learner, giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 04-28-2005, 07:58 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User

GodsGirl: Some insurance companies do cover massages by an RMT. Mine does. The only problem with going to students is that I'm not sure how "fibro-aware" they are but if you can find one, they definitely are cheaper.

Jenetti: I've made the same mistake by only drinking a bottle of water. I feel better when i drink lots of water for the rest of the day, even if I spend it in the bathroom! LOL!

Old 04-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

I am the same way, BBL.
My MT does myofascial release and trigger points - which I have a multitude of.
I have been seeing her for over a year.
Let me tell you: it hurts. A lot. But I do deep breathing and really focus on that or I talk to her. We have become fast friends.
But getting rid of those knots is soooooo worth it.
Here's something else: magnesium is your friend and a natural muscle relaxer.
I have just finished a 12 week serires of magnesium injections. My doctor's theory is that fibros are really starved for magnesium and it helps to replenish and relax the muscles. My massage therapist totally - totally - totally agrees and can tell a huge difference since I started the shots.

The massages do hurt - but it's a good hurt. Drinking water helps and a nice bag of frozen peas helps too. AFter a while the body responds... but it does take time.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:01 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

Funny you mention that - I am having a major combination fibro/TMJ headache right now. Nothing is killing the thing. I missed my weekly massage yesterday because my MT was sick and she had a death in the family and I am feeling the fall out.

I need to go crash somewhere.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:40 PM   #15
(female)

ukiahvalleymom HB User

Hi, thought I'd share my experience with Massage therapy, for years I would see different PT's and none of them could help me with my muscle, neck and back pain issues. I would always end up in bed for a week, it may feel good as they are massaging me, but as soon as it stopped the spasms would be worse and the pain greater. It wasn't until I was dx'd in Sept '04 with CMP that it all made sense.

Now I see a PT group for FMS and CMP, where I have pool therapy in a 91 degrees tempature pool, and I have occupational training and coaching, along with seeing a massage therapist. Who is gentle, she does many different types of therapy, polarity, lymphpatic drainage, some type of gentle pressure as she smooths out the tense muscles all over from head to toe. And an incredible face massage and cranial sack release that really helps my CNS calm down, along with the TMJ and nerve zaps I get in my head.

I have a least one massage a week sometimes I feel I could use two, I feel so good when I leave! She reminds me to drink lots of water after so to eliminate the toxins quicker from the body.

Another thing I had done recently was trigger point injections just in the muscles of my thorasic area. I must of had 6-8 of them and only had pain in the injection sites for a couple of days. The CMP pain was gone. I used Ketamine cream (through a Compound Pharmacist) on my muscles, and they stopped hurting too.

Lydocaine patches can help on the tender point and trigger point areas of both FMS and CMP, I am not sure if over the counter works as well as the prescription, I have the later one and have found relief, except when the pain has been caused by the viruses in my blood.

See other postings from today to hear that story.

Gosh its good to be back and feeling up to writing, even better it good that it doesn't take me an hour and a half to write this much. I can think again and even spell (hah-hah) laugh, too without feeling pain in my face...
uvm
p.s. I hope all of you will find what works for you, too.

Last edited by ukiahvalleymom; 04-30-2005 at 03:44 PM.

Closed Thread