It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
(female)

Descend24 HB User
Need HELP: "Hot" feeling in lungs w/shortness of breath

Hello, I am new to these boards, although not new to FM. I am 34 and have had it for at least 10 years. My most troubling and severe symptom is a "hot" feeling inside my body that comes with difficulty breathing in my chest. I can handle anything except not being able to breathe well. If I could rid this symptom, I would live a much more enjoyable, fulfilling life.

On days that my breathing is worse, I seem to have a "hot" feeling in my chest, mouth, etc. The doctors say that I have a touch of asthma, but nothing bad. Doctors have not been able to figure out the cause except for maybe the FM. I think that it may be worse in the Spring months, so I think it might be directly affected by the weather, perhaps.

Does anyone else have this and if so, have you found anything to take to alleviate the shortness of breath??? Nothing seems to make it better for me (inhalers, allergy medicine, hot tea, etc.) I would be so grateful if anyone could help me. I can deal with the other maddening symptoms of FM, but shortness of breath is very scary and really affects my life.

Thanks,
Amy.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
(female)

mkmb75 HB User
Re: Need HELP: "Hot" feeling in lungs w/shortness of breath

I was just switched from Darvocet N-100 to Duragesic, and found that the "pressure" and fluttering I was feeling in my chest went away the very day I stopped the Darvocet. I thought mine was worsening anxiety. I called the pharmacist about it recently, and apparently faster breating and the feeling that you cannot breathe well is a side-effect of long-term Darvocet use. So, could it be related to a medication you take? I was quite worried about my symptoms but as I said, they have seemed to disappear with the ceasing of taking the Darvocet.

Anxiety can cause funny feelings in the chest as well. Are you taking an anti-anxiety med? If so, I would try taking it when you get that feeling, if your doc says it's OK to. That's what I was doing, I was taking Klonopin for my chest pressure. But as for the "hot" feeling, I never experienced that.

I hope you can find a solution. I know some symptoms can be maddening, and FM seems to have a ton that some people have whereas others are not bothered by. I find it maddening myself many days. But I have traced many of my stranger symptoms to many of my medications I take.

Good luck,
Mary Kay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2005, 06:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Amy,

It's weird this symptom of yours is the same as the one I went to my doctor with. Change of weather, i.e. a warm breeze or cold wind brought on my shortness of breath in this way. Maybe the weird inside feeling is down to exertion from trying to maintain a good breathing pattern.

Anyway, my doctor ran a battery of tests and diagnosed late onset asthma. I don't have allergies of any type whatsoever, but asthma is present all the same. I use inhalers, but I still don't feel that I am breathing normally sometimes, other times I am fine. Maybe it's a bit stress related too, I'm not sure. I'm not trying to diagnose you, but just offering advice.

Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 05-22-2005 at 06:08 AM.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
(female)

Descend24 HB User

Thanks for the replies everyone; I am definitely beginning to think that it is allergies of some sort. When I get this way, everything inside my body from my chest up gets this hot feeling inside--my chest, my throat, my mouth, my tongue, my face gets red and burns--they all have a burning feeling inside like an inflammation. The other day I noticed the bottle of Children's Benadryl that we give to our ferrets periodically for allergies and decided to swig some of that, to my amazement, my symptoms diminished. I really think I might benefit from some steroids for the inflammation, as I was treated about ten years ago for bad allergies for about a week with steroids and I noticed a tremendous difference. I just hope that my doctor listens. Last time I visited him, I bombarded him with a lot of my strange symptoms and hope that he doesn't think that I'm being a hypochondriac, but as you all probably know, FM & CFIDS can give you a multitude of very strange, very real symptoms. I will keep you posted on what he says so that if anyone else ever feels this way, you might find relief.

Amy

Old 05-23-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
(male)

OhioGolfer HB User

Yeah, I get that feeling sometimes, particularly at this time of year, when we can alternate between hot and cold, the tree pollen starts going, etc. The temperature changes really get my muscles spasming, and the allergies don't help. Combined, they give me that "hot" sensation that you talk about.

Jeff

Closed Thread