It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
Exclamation A young girl from New Zealand with Fibro

Hey all,

As some of you know, I have several sources of information that I recieve on a regular basis about Fibromyalgia. Well, I rec'd one of my newsletters that had an article in it about a young girl who lives in New Zealand who suffers from Fibro and it told her "familiar" story. A story about trying to be a young person while battling FM.

I got ahold of the reporter who did the article and told her about the Healthboards and a little bit about some of us here and that we did have a couple of young girls who post here. I got a reply! The reporter was suprised that someone in the U.S. responded to the article. She got ahold of the girl and her mother. (I also told the reporter that this would be a good place for this girl's mother to find comfort since Fibro affects the whole family). Anyway, she telephone this young girl and forwarded my email to her. She also said that this young girl was suprised that someone from waaaaay over here read and replied to the article, which was written in March. The article was in a NZ local newspaper.

Soooooo.....hopefully she will find the site okay, check it out and join us. I have to keep remembering that they are, what, like 18 hours ahead of the states as far as time goes! LOL

Hopefully she'll introduce herself when or if she feels that's what she wants. I hope she does.

So, Ash, Julie, I hope that she finds us here and that you all get to meet her if she does. I know you are busy doing "summer" stuff, it's their "winter" in NZ! Maybe out little group of young folks will grow and blossom here. I think that would be great, and it would have a lot to do with both of you and your perserverance to educate other people your own age about Fibromyalgia, as well as educating adults!

Somebody make it STOP!

Hugs to you all,
tk

Last edited by Administrator; 07-19-2005 at 09:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User
Re: A young girl from New Zealand with Fibro

tk, Can always count on you to put it togather!!
Way to Go !!
Linda

Old 06-15-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Linda!

Thanks. How are YOU? I have been reading your posts, but haven't been replying to many of them, sorry. I guess I figure you got it covered! LOL

Anyway, it's nice to "hear" from you. I have my eye on you!

Hugs,
tk

Old 06-15-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

well done teekers old girl!!!
i hope she finds us too.
love,
bluelakelady

Old 06-15-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Good for you TK helping others is good for the soul.

Glojer

Old 06-15-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

Looking forward to meeting her!!

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 06-16-2005, 05:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

TK, I've been doing more lurking then posting I go for my third surgery since Feb., the 21st to have the SCS removed and I'm having a lot of personal problems at home, so I'm trying to reserve my strength to get through all this.
Though I still like to keep up on how everyone else is.
Linda

Old 06-16-2005, 06:05 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

linda,
we are here for you. you can dump any of your emotions on us and we will sustain you. my energy will be sent to you on the 21st. glad you are still here. i understand the desire you have to protect everyone here from your reality. like teekers said to me when i was doing that, hey! you lean on us and we will hold you up. when we help each other it lessens our pain. together we are a mountain, strong and tall.
love you,
bluelakelady

Old 06-17-2005, 12:33 AM   #9
(female)

jpk HB User

hello my name is jan and i am the mother of that little girl in nz.her name is jessica!i have got no idea how this letter i wrote got this big,but wow,i never knew this site existed boy am glad i do now.jess has been off school for 12 weeks and we are still waiting for some help from the hosp system for e.d,physio and meds,so we went behind thier backs to get some help,what a fight,long,hard and lonely!but we are fighters and we are still here and now we have a new support system "YOU",thank you from auckland new zealand

Old 06-17-2005, 09:15 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk
hello my name is jan and i am the mother of that little girl in nz.her name is jessica!i have got no idea how this letter i wrote got this big,but wow,i never knew this site existed boy am glad i do now.jess has been off school for 12 weeks and we are still waiting for some help from the hosp system for e.d,physio and meds,so we went behind thier backs to get some help,what a fight,long,hard and lonely!but we are fighters and we are still here and now we have a new support system "YOU",thank you from auckland new zealand
Well Hi Jan!

I'm so excited to read your post I'm nearly shaking! It was me who contacted the newspaper reporter who wrote the article about your daughter. I just had to find this reporter and tell her about this website and as well have her tell you and your daughter.

I posted this thread in hopes that you would find us easier and you did! I am SO happy you found us. Not only will we be able to offer support for Jessica but for you also. Like I said, when someone in the family has FM, the whole family has it, really.

I can't imagine how hard it is for a young girl just beginning her life to have FM. Why did you have to "go behind the hospital's back" to get help? Are they resisting helping out Jessica? Having FM is a fight for sure, first to get people who are "ney sayers" to believe that this condition is real. Second, to get the proper treatment. Especially for young folks, I think. Juvenile Primary Fibromyalgia Syndrome is growing and affecting more and more of our kids every day.

FM is hereditary. Normally coming from either the mother herself or from another female family member, but not in every case. Jessica may be the first in your family to have FM.

One "good" thing with our youth becoming more and more affected with this condition...they seem to be more determined than some of us "older folks" to get the word out about FM, and to want be part of finding a cure for this condition. The young people with FM are actually our hope for the future of this disease.

I am SO glad you found us here. We are a great bunch here and willing to offer any kind of help we can. We consider each other as "family". Fibromights are all related, no matter where we live.

May I suggest that you page through some of the older threads and do a little "research" on the ones that catch your eye? I'm going to bump up some of the ones that have been popular here, so you can take a look.

I realize that we have a big time difference between NZ and where most of us are here in the States, though we do have a lot of folks who post here from other countries, I believe you are probably the furthest away so far!
Did you find the tool on the site that will adjust the board time to your own time zone? I think it's found under "User CP" (CP=control panel), you can adjust the time so that when you post the time of the post will read appropriately for your own time zone. I think it will configure to your zone. I think you all are about 18 hours ahead of the east coast, am I correct? That way those of us here as well as yourself can figure out when you posted. I know that right now is your "tomorrow"! So you'll hopefully find this post when you wake.

Is Jessica out of school because of her FM? Is she getting tutoring of any kind? Will the school there not accomadate her special needs? I post a lot on the Pain Management board as well as here on the FM board/forum, as do a couple other members who have FM. Pain and FM go hand in hand.

I'd be interested in learning about how your healthcare system works and if you have been provided any info about Fibromyalgia. I read in the article that Jessica mentioned that there are support groups for adults with FM, so I'm assuming that it is being treated. I'd be interested to know HOW they treat FM over where you are, as compared to our treatment here. We usually are prescribed anti-depressants when we are first diagnosed with FM. Though we may not be depressed, something about the anti-D's that helps our serotonin, blah blah blah. I'll bring up some posts about that issue also. Some of us have a problem with those kind of meds. I think, IMO that is our biggest form of meds that we Fibromights have the most problems with.

You will find a lot of opinions here, and please find comfort by posting your own opinions, feelings, emotions, joy, frustrations, accomplishments, etc. We share a lot here. No one person is any "better" than the other. Each of us who post here have our own "gifts" to offer. No "chain of command" here. LOL Except, of course for the Moderators! ( Hi Mods! ) We respect each other as well as each other's opinions, tho they may be different from our own, we accept that with grace. Sometimes, we may disagree, but that's how we learn.

Okay, well, I'm glad you found us! I guess it was meant to be when I recieved my newsletter with the article about Jessica in it! I did send inform the reporter as to how I rec'd that article. She was suprised that the article drew a response from so far away.

I was not the only one who read that article. The Fibromyalgia "community" around the world is tight and close knit when you look at it in the broad sense, really. It absoulutely humbles me and I feel honored to be part of such a wonderful caring "community". Not honored to have FM! But certainly, I have met some of the most compassionate people in the FM community. This Healthboard is the foundation of most of that compassion and a true life line for me.

As you can see, many folks here are anxious to meet you and your daughter.
I'm going to post a new thread to tell everyone about your reply to this thread.

So nice to meet you and I'm glad you are here. We would love to hear from Jessica also if she wants to post with her own ID. We love our "girls" here! We all range in age, from 16 (I think) up to 74!

You found a great home here!

Here's wishing you a good spirit,
tk

Last edited by Administrator; 07-19-2005 at 09:54 PM.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

welcome jpk, welcome!
delightful to meet you both. jan and jessica we invite you to join our family. i am sure you will both find what you seek here. the journey is easier when you know you are not alone.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 06-17-2005, 02:09 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Glad to have you join us jpk! Hope you and your daughter will be with us often.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:32 AM   #13
(female)

jpk HB User

hi everyone,i dont think this is really on track but just to add to our woes my hubby harry has just been told he has leukaemia,so im thinking of applying for nurses pay,lol.not funny i know but my brain is a bit of a mess right now,i will write something better later,please dont forget about us down here in kiwi land,jan

Old 06-28-2005, 06:19 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Jan, I'm so sorry to hear of your news, I can only imagine how hard this is on your family and you.
It's so hard at times to understand how so much can be put on one family.
I'm glad you came here though to post, please know that we are all here for you and will help as much as we can, I'm not good with medical advice but know I can offer support and prayers and am sending both your way.
Please tell your dear husband how sorry I am and am praying and how fortuante to have such a loving caring wife as you.
Please come to vent and for support you don't have to be alone.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Linda

Old 06-28-2005, 07:04 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jpk, sounds as if you will earn that nurses pay. I will pray for your family and will send energy and good wishes your way. Keeping your chin up and pressing ahead, and taking it one day at a time is the best advice I can give. Not that you need any advice from me. Be well and post here whenever you need to unload we are always here for that.

Glojer

Closed Thread