It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
So angry with docs office staff!

My refills for the lortab and soma were running out by wednesday of that week so i called in to the pharmacy, (thats the way we do it here instead of calling docs office) on the monday prior. On Wednesday, i called the pharmacy to see if my meds were ready, sure enough one was, the lortab. I asked the pharmacy why the soma wasnt there if i had called that in and left the number of the script on their automated refill machine. They apologized and said theyd hadnt noticed it, overlooked it and would fax the script in for soma that wed afternoon. Ok mistake number one was the pharmacy. I called later, nada. Docs office hadnt returned the fax. I was out of soma completely and need that to work together with the lortab. Well thursday morning i was out of the soma (had my lortab had just picked it up wed night). From there the docs office lost faxes, didnt call my refill in and asked that the pharmacy refax the request for the refill. They did, over and over again. (docs office staff fault) THe docs office kept saying its on the docs desk and shes signed it but we call it in to the pharmacy in the evenings when we're less busy. Called numerous time during thurs to make sure. NOTHING. Friday morning docs office closes at noon. I called in first thing and they said yes its signed and doc leaves at noon but we dont and we stay to call in refills. I pleaded with them the weekend was coming and i was totally out already. THey promised they send it right away. I called right before noon to pharmacy, NOTHING. I recalled docs office and they requested AGAIN that the pharmacy refaxed the request. I was sooooo angry by then. Pharmacy refaxed it and called me back to let me know they just did. Called docs office and i couldnt get thru except to the answering service and they said they didnt call docs or disturb them for "plain" refills. By then i was in full blown flareup. Five pm came and nothing. I spent the weekend in tears hurting in a full flareup. MONDAY am, i called the docs office and they asked the pharmacy to refax it one more time. i felt like we were playing fax tag. I called pharmacy, they called back to say they just had, called docs office and they said we recieved it, but it wont be called in till late this evening. ok ENOUGH OF BEING NICE. I screamed and yelled and told them i was seeing the doctor that coming week and was going to let her know how ****** of a job her staff was doing and that i was in full flareup mode due to their negligence. The receptionist said i can only tell the nurse your message , shes the one who calls it it. I talked to the nurse and yelled and screamed and threatened that med better be in by 12 NOON that day or else i was taking it to a higher authority. the med was called in. later that week i saw the doc and told her and her face turned soooo red , she fell over herself apologizing and saying i could have and should have gone to the ER for pain control. I told her i couldnt at the time cause hubby was packing and getting things ready as he was leaving on that prior weekend and he couldnt miss his flight and i was not going to do that to him , to intefere with HIS Job simply because of he stupid incompetent staff. Again she apologized and i told her i will be needing a refill very SOON AGAIN cause i was only sleeping two or three hours only when i had the flareup, it was that bad, and that while awake at night i had to take extra pills. Again, apologetic and embarrassed , she wrote me a script for both meds for a 3 month refill and said next time please call me at home if the answering service wont put you thru. SHe gave me her home phone number and told me to use it whenever i needed to.
I swear her staff is so stupid, the doc made the staff call me up and apologize, but i gave them a peice of my mind and told them they had no idea what they were doing to peoples lives and health when they were incompetent and lax at doing their job. i am still sooooooo very angry with them for all the pain and stress they put me thru, simply because they were probably too busy gossiping as ive seen them do or taking their coffeebreaks.
sorry just needed to vent.
feel better now lol
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
(female)

leemarie HB User
Re: So angry with docs office staff!

GOOD FOR YOU JEN!!!! I am so proud of you, I always wuss out and suffer, afraid to rock the boat! I have had that happen to me before, and it's sooooooo maddening!!! There was absolutely no excuse for that to happen, makes you wonder if there aren't some actually malicious staff there, rather than just incompetent. I'm so glad you had it out with the doc; now if it happens again, there should be NO EXCUSE for heads not to roll down there!!

Warmly,
Lee

Old 06-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

LOL thanks Lee,
well thats me too hon, always nice and not ever wanting to rock the boat because im afraid theyll purposely do stuff like t hat. So the whole time , for days, i was pleading, begging , asking them so sweetly and nicely to put the call in. BY MONDAY tho, due to the pain, i was NOT a nice person to be around with. I guess i lost it and yelled and threatened and was still hurting when i saw the doc, still angry and thats why i told her too. Otherwise, id probably just have swallowed it and not have said anything. But i hate to think that sometimes we have to be rather aggressive and mean to have to get what we so rightly need to feel better, but it seems to have to be that way sometimes. So, ive learned a lesson too. Ask nicely once and if its not done (meaning the docs staff), i will have to get mean again LOL.
hope youre having a pain free day today hon.
Jen

Old 06-19-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
(female)

leemarie HB User

Actually, Jen i am feeling pretty good today...i'm getting excited about my sweetheart coming from PA tomorrow, and i REFUSE to get anxious about it lol (i'm such a liar). I just wanted to share one more thing with you...when i went to the quack psychiatrist SSD sent me to for my psych eval, she entered, as part of her CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS, that there was no way i could be in severe chronic pain, because i was TOO POLITE!! NO LIE!!! I am STILL FIGHTING to get my SSD, 2 years later, and she shares office space with my pain doc, ironically, and every time i see her, i want to give her such a dose of POLITE she will never forget!!! It is a shame that when we are "not so nice" when we're in pain, we're labeled as drug seeking hypochondriacs, and when we "suck it up" and try to get on with it, we're deemed "not sick enough"!!! Squeaky wheel? well it's not really in my basic personality, but i'm a heck of a lot more honest today about how i feel than i used to be!! Thanks for your great post and warm wishes!

warmly,
Lee

Old 06-19-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Jen, I know exactly what you went through. There is no excuse for the docs or the pharmacy to put you through that. I worked in a a doctors office for a while and ran the front office. Even then I was very attuned to pain patients for some reason, maybe a preminition? LOL If someone called regarding their pain meds and there was a problem with the staff all hell broke loose.

I have learned to be very firm about my medication. I will not take the run around and I will not let them tell me they will do it when they get around to it since I do not trust them to always pull through. If they are screwing up I have paged the doctor in the office during hours, ouch, now the doc doesn't like this but it worked and I never had a problem since. Sometimes you have to play hardball.

Peace and love, Janet

Last edited by hangin; 06-19-2005 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-20-2005, 07:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Oh my Jen, I think that is the worst I've ever heard. The sad thing is you started ahead of time before you ran out or just had one day left. There are so many people who wait till they are taking their last pill , then expect the pharmacy to be able to get the docs office and get a refill within hours. We all know that won't happen, but boy your docs office staff deserved every bit and probably more of what you told them, good for you!

I use to be one of those people who, when ask by the doc how I was doing, would say oh fine. I never complained and was never 'cranky' or anything. I also noticed that I didn't ususally have my pain taken seriously. So I started being a little more forceful and when asked, if I felt crappy I told them I felt crappy. Then I get the lecture about complaining patients who are never happy, you can't win for losing sometimes but you gotta keep trying.

TOO POLITE TO BE IN PAIN!!!!!!! I'm speechless! I didn't know that bad manners was a sympton of a debilitating disease. Then I guess my brother-in law who is 65, has cerebral palsey which has left him without any speech his entire life. Was barely able to walk when he was a younger man and is now in a wheelchair and diapers because he has lost that ability also from his age and the CP and is in a nursing home (a depressing place). I guess he has never been in pain and had something SSD would call a disability since he is the sweetest most polite and loving person you would ever want to know. He is always in pain and he never complains and always has a smile for everyone. I guess I wasn't speechless afterall!!!!

Sometimes I can really just loose it. Glojer

Old 06-20-2005, 09:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangin
Jen, I know exactly what you went through. There is no excuse for the docs or the pharmacy to put you through that. I worked in a a doctors office for a while and ran the front office. Even then I was very attuned to pain patients for some reason, maybe a preminition? LOL If someone called regarding their pain meds and there was a problem with the staff all hell broke loose.

I have learned to be very firm about my medication. I will not take the run around and I will not let them tell me they will do it when they get around to it since I do not trust them to always pull through. If they are screwing up I have paged the doctor in the office during hours, ouch, now the doc doesn't like this but it worked and I never had a problem since. Sometimes you have to play hardball.

Peace and love, Janet
Oh janet, maybe a premintion is right. At least you had compassion towards the patients, these gals at the docs office are just downright , i wouldnt say cold, but maybe just dont get what a hurting patient is going thru. Thank God they have their health and i wouldnt wish this disease on anyone, but sometimes i wonder if they had a days dose of what we went thru, theyd be more compassionate. Thank you for your note hon and yes it seems you do have to play hardball to get them to do what they need to do.
Jen

Old 06-20-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Glojer, yes, it seems that with this group of gals i cant wait till the last minute or this would happen. So i learned that youve got to give them at least a weeks notice, even tho they have a sign on their office window saying call refills in and we'll have them to you within 48 hours. Thats a hoot! And they STILL wanted stupidly to make me wait till the end of the FOLLOWING monday in the afternoon a whole week later after i called it in. They said they had the paper there but they "did their faxing in the afternoon", BS! finally had to yell at them to have them fax my refills to the pharmacy BY NOON the day i finally got them. Just makes me so angry, next time im not being so nice about it. When i call it in, id better have them within the 48 hours or else theyre going to be dealing with the new and improved ME. LOL

Old 06-20-2005, 09:44 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

There is always this one thing that I always think about when people who have the the slightest bit of authority ie., doctors office, pharmacies, govenrment offices, etc....I believe they feel they have this little bit of power and they use it. A lot of times in a very negative way.

I don't know if this is just the human condition or what. Either way, it isn't right and it is cruel.

Peace and love, Janet

Last edited by hangin; 06-20-2005 at 09:48 AM.

Closed Thread