It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
(female)

misspeters HB User
Question getting help to live and work

Hello all,

I'm a preschool teacher that has been diagnosed with Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (Lupus & others) and Fibromyalgia. For the second year in a row I just barely finished the school year. I'm on Ultram and that helps somewhat with the pain, but the pain still affects all areas of my life!! I feel as if I can't function....I've messed up every area of my life. Luckily, I have until mid-August to "fix" my life and hopefully improve my health. I'm so worried that this is going to become a vicious cycle and every year it will get worse.
I am single and live alone. I need to keep working full-time, and I am trying to problem solve how I can continue to do this. One idea I had was getting help taking care of my apartment, groceries (and making meals), and other chores. My brother said this would be called a Personal Assistant Services (PAS) or another name. Has anyone else gone in this direction? Any other ideas?
Thanks,
misspeters

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User
Re: getting help to live and work

MP, Hi, I'm sad to hear of all you are going through,it sounds familar though.
Mine started with a spine injury 6 yrs ago and has slid down hill since, I was dx'ed with lupus with underlying FM rrecently on top of all the spine disorders.
I haven't been able to work for 2 yrs now and am struggling to get my SSD I am fortunate though to be maried to a very kind hard working guy now, but I can only imagine how hard this must be for you trying to do it all on your own.
I'm still new to all this so I have little to offer in the way of advice but I know the others here are a wealth of info.
I am on severla meds for pain because of the spine disorders and HRT
whoopie and then the dr started me on plaquenil for the lupus and it has rerally helped with the joint pain and inflamation one I have a hard time with is the fatigue and I started taking a B-complex about a month ago and it seems to help, I can't say for sure as it could be I'm having a small remmission but I think it is the supplement at least I hope.
Anyway I wanted to say hi and I'm sorry you had the need to have to find a us but happy you did..Welcome.
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Misspeters, yes I think a personal assistant to help with the more physical things you do would be helpful. Things such as cleaning, shopping, laundry and if you have any outside work to a home or condo you must do. To work a full time job would take all the energy and capacity for pain I would have. I went from full time 5days a wk. to fulltime 4days a wk., then to partime 3days a wk. to partime 2days a wk. to finally quitting. It took nine years for me to keep working my way down, I probably stayed at the 4days the longest.

Anything you can do to conserve energy and to keep from causing pain and inflammation to start is the only way to go.

I do take a vitamin regimine magnesium and malic acid and B12 complex are very good and Omega 3 oil is something new I have tried. Don't have any scientific evidence, but I think they help.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Grognard Les HB User

Well me, I'm on a disability pension. I wasn't really given a lot of choice in the matter. I could of course just refuse to accept it (the FM), and lead a life of hell.

When I go into my shop for a bit of woodworking, I do it knowing it will cost me.

That's basically it with FM, ignoring it won't make it go away, and likely it will make it more obvious if you try to pretend it doesn't matter.

In my case I have family present. It sure helps (when they are not wrecking the place hehe).

Your being single is likely your biggest weakness.
A service will be expensive. If you can afford it, that is of course a boon.

Now, it would be nice to just say get a mate, as if you can just get them at the supermarket
But, your life might improve if you at least added another body into your routine. You could always look into a room mate. Someone to help out with the daily needs of the apartment and or home.
It would also allow you a little less stress where income is concerned.
Because you might not realistically be able to go about work full time whether it's necessary or not.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

vnels HB User

I have hired a woman to help me with the heavy housework like vacuuming. She also does the dusting as I have an allergy to house dust (I know, I'm doomed!) I only have her come in 3 hours a week, which is about all I can afford. I think that even if she came in every other week it would be well worth it to have some relief from the stress of working and coming home to clean. Best wishes for you!

Old 07-02-2005, 05:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Great news I'm happy for you.
I know the things I loved about my house when we bought it are the very things I so dislike now, the whole house is done in the old hand molded oak wood it's beautiful but I can't take care of it anymore and to vacum is out of the question, though I still have to at times and of course pay for it for days.
Linda

Closed Thread