It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

SherryK47 HB User
fibro and vision

Hello, I have fibromyalgia and lately been having blurred vision. Does anyone know if fibro can harm your vision?
Thanks
Sherry

Old 07-13-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
(female)

Pyramid56 HB User
Re: fibro and vision

I know from my experience that I have blurred vision every now and then. I noticed that it now takes time for my eyes to adjust to signs or objects. I don't think it can harm your vision, like loose your vision, but it will distort it.

There is a thread called "the list" I'll bump it up for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I also have blurred vision sometimes and other eye things. I don't think fm will permanently damage your vision, but I think it can play games with your vision sometimes.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Sometimes I do get blurred vision and at other times my perception is off. I think things are right there and they are not. It seems to happen mainly when I am tired and in pain.

I have never heard of anyone loosing their vision with Fibro however, I do not think it is uncommon to have some type of wierd symptoms.

Peace and love,

Janet

Old 07-14-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Grognard Les HB User

My vision is excellent, and it's amazing it is actually.

I suffer migraines. There's a good source of screwed up vision.

I had the muscles operated on three times as a kid, I can still see in opposing directions when I relax my eyes enough though.
I tend to have lack of focus occasionally from all of this.
Think binoculars where each side is being adjusted independently, not simultaneously

Wore glasses as a kid, don't recall why.

In bright light, I almost always have one eye closed, a reflex I seem unable to stop, barely notice it actually. Probably should wear sunglasses more.

But on a whole, I can generally distinguish detail most can't see at all.
Many years as a modeller.

My eyes are one of the few things I am still able to count on over all.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:05 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
i had cataract surgery the beginning of last year. i see 20/20 now. however, fibromyalgia did go to the membrane in my eyes that holds my new lenses in place. this can happen to anyone. with fms it sped up the process. i will need laser surgery at some point for that.
my eye doc learned something new with me. fms can affect your eyes. catarats usually take years to get bad enough for surgery. for me it was under two years. my eye doc and i agree fms played into the speed at which my eyes changed. fms did not cause the problem, it just went there to play as it was a weak spot. fms just loves those weak spots in our bodies.
have your eyes checked. no harm done there. peace of mind is so important. so have your eyes looked at and then you can relax and breath.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 07-14-2005, 11:04 AM   #7
(female)

fru5trated HB User

My vision blurs several times a week, usually in the morning. It generally lasts about 15 mins, but has lasted a couple hours before. I find gently pinching the upper part of my nose will often help - but I have to keep pinching it - which at least enables me to read. Maybe this will work for you too.

Old 07-16-2005, 12:31 PM   #8
(female)

RGW HB User

My vision blurs whenever I am tired (so essentially all throughout the day), especially when waking up each morning and when I have a migraine. Had my eyes tested several years ago due to a history of frequent headaches and migraines and I have 20/20 vision. They're answer was "weak eye muscles" and no actual vision impairment.

I've also read that people can get trigger points in their eye muscles and that can cause blurred vision and migraines. That's just not fair though because there is no way to release those trigger points!

Old 07-17-2005, 10:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

There are tests that can be done to check your eyes. The one I had done at a major university where I live was callled a electro retinopothy gram ( I think that is pretty close to what it is called). It is like an EKG of your eyes, checks the cones and rods in the back of your eyes and tells them all they need to know. It is not painful just takes a long time. Normal score is from 300 to 700, my score was right at 300. That means my eyes are perfectly fine, just because my score was at the bottom of normal does not mean anything. Maybe I have always been that way, born that way. I do wear glasses, have since 12 yrs old, and at my advanceing years, I need bifocals.

My point is, blurring vision can be very annoying but does not always mean we have something serious wrong. I have had that blurry stuff for years and it is frustrating. Sometimes I think it is just sinus problems and other times I think I am just too tired to focus. There can be lots of reasons and yes I think fibro can be one of those reasons.

Please try not to worry too much when this happens. Make and appointment with an opthomologist, not just an optometrist. Go see the opthomologist and have them give you the once over and if they think anything is wrong I'm sure they will recommend further testing. Sometimes medication can cause eye trouble and they can help you with that also.

Once I went through the ringer with all this testing (which was done because of a medication I was taking) I have really relaxed and I don't seem to have so much trouble anymore.

Peace and pain free days to us all.
Glojer

Old 07-17-2005, 04:56 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Hi Glojer,

I think you are right on when you say that blurred vision can come from being tired. You can get very tired from Fibro so it makes sense that our vision might suffer occassionally.

As you mentioned, certain meds cause eye problems, especially pain meds. For me the more sleep I get I fine that I can read without glasses.

Hope you are doing well.

Have a good evening everyone.

Peace and love, Janet

Closed Thread