It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

lisa_2005 HB User
Question How Has Your Life Changed?

I am new to these boards, God am I glad there are others out there!
I am 32 years old. I have 4 kids and I have been married for 16 years.
I have been trying to pinpoint the start/cause of my fibro. In my pursuit I noticed different things about the same time as when the pain started. For instance I only drank soda (mountain dew). I would literally gag if I tried to drink water. Now I only drink water...large amounts of purified water, around half a gallon a day. I have to have a water bottle with me at all times. I was not health conscious at all either. Now I exercise and live a generally healthy life. I stretch, lift weights and walk religiously. This started before I even knew what fibro was, it also started when the pain was minor and stocked up as "just a faze". I was on no medicine. I did not exercise vigorously and did not drink or do drugs. I did not suffer any major accidents or surgeries or anything of the like. I really have no reasoning behind the water and healthy living other than fibro.
Has your life changed? Have you noticed things changing in your life before you knew you had fibro? I have noticed some of my fibro friends also started drinking lots of water. do you?

Old 07-14-2005, 09:18 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: How Has Your Life Changed?

welcome to our family lisa!
i turned into a water baby too. the only thing missing from the bottle is the nipple. giggle. you are doing the best thing you can do for your changing body. changing your lifestyle. i have people who have known me for many years say i look healthier now than i did when i was healthy. i agree with them. i am so much more in tune with my body and its needs than i ever was. i listen to my body and respect what i hear.
i understand in the purest way the vital function my body performs every day. it houses my essence. it breaths and carries me. we have become close friends my body and i.
fibromyalgia, for me, is a gift. i feel it happened at the best time in my life. i needed to plug in and quit running away from my reality. fms was the key to that door, that sanctuary of peace i had been ignoring all these years.
granted, i am weird. not everyone embraces illness as a gift for deeper understanding. i do and it helps me stay away from anger or remorse, pointless emotions that serve no purpose other than to cause chaos within.
i am so glad you found us. welcome, welcome!
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

HI Lisa - First, let me say, listen to the wisdom of Bluelakelady....She is always here, and gets us all through so many things! I am 38, recently dx'd with FM, and have six sons & a foster daughter staying for a few more weeks. (BOO! Want to keep her forever, but that's not in God's plan for either of us!) Anyway, I can empathize with feeling your life change, and yes, I drink a lot of water, about 3 liters a day ( I think that is about 100 ounces, but I can't even balance my meager checkbook without a calculator,so don't quote me, giggle!)

I am with Blue, in that I regard my fibro as a gift. I never really appreciated my life and health until this came into my life. And, as lots of the good folk here will tell you, keep going with the healthy changes you are making (or continuing), be gentle with yourself, and go forward. Do what you want, do what you can do, don't put limits on yourself because you joined the fibro family. Finally, please don't fear the pain. I did, esp. because of caring for the kids, but now I know no fear, just love, acceptance of pain and my body doing what it will.

I personally find a lot of peace in nature and in prayer (devout Catholic here), but there are many elements of Eastern thought that are also very useful in overcoming fear & finding acceptance. And, of course, you can always read Blue's posts! That comes with a bit of a giggle because Blue herself will giggle when (if) she reads this, because she probably has no idea what a MAJOR player she is in helping us all!

Plus, you have a whole lot of new friends here!! keep in touch, Marirose

Last edited by Marirose; 07-14-2005 at 12:58 PM.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
(female)

lisa_2005 HB User

Thanks for the quick reply. You all are very nice.

When did your life change? Was it before you found out you had FMS or after? My post mainly refers to before I found reason to everything which was FMS. Going back in my life trying to pinpoint the cause/start of my FMS I noticed there were other things happening to me about the same time.

Did you start to drink more water because of the medicine or was it before you even found out (like I did) you had FMS?

I haven't really studied FMS to the extreme but I don't recall consuming large quantities of water a side effect to FMS.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
(female)

Pyramid56 HB User

First of all Welcome!

FMS will give you a dry mouth. End result drinking lots of water. Soda doesn't really "cure" that cotton mouth so maybe that's why you started to drink lots of water.

It came to a point where I would be driving down the road and I would get this horrific cotton mouth, before I knew what was wrong with me. One of MANY new things occuring with my body. From then on, it's very rare to see me driving without a bottle of water with me.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

i read it marirose. thank you. you are right, i had no idea. one hopes to make a difference so that their life experience has meaning. to be told one has is humbling.
we journey together, all of us. all bringing words that educate, help, comiserate, and define love. it is thru the group effort we have here that we heal within. each of us is in a different space and time with our health. it is the facets of our diamond that sheds such magnificent light and color.
dear sweet cotton mouth. how i love the taste of horse manure that dry mouth evokes. some of it is meds. some is, no matter how much water i drink that stable returns and the taste is there. water and a candy called shockers are my best bet. the shockers are sour and sweet. the candy is made without refined sugar, and i am left with a much nicer taste in my slobbery mouth. it also helps restore brain function on days cannot eat.
you will get the hang of this. change is a good thing. without change we would all be in dirty nappies, yuck! embrace your unique and special body.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 07-15-2005, 03:06 AM   #7
(male)

brend HB Userbrend HB User

Hello and welcome to the board from one of the few male contributers.
I have not though very deeply about when I started drinking lots of water. I used to put it down to a side effect of meds but I not certain. The term cotton mouth from Pyramid describes a feeling I have had since long before I found out about fibro. I used to be always chewing mint sweets to get rid of the cotton mouth. (yes, I like that description). Mints give moisture to the mouth but alas they do not quench a thirst. They also helped to rot my teeth. I suppose I have to now own up to the thirst being a symptom of fibro before I ever heard of fibro.

I have to admire Bluelakelady and Marirose for thier healthy way of looking on fibro as a gift. To me it is a curse that restricts my life, my enjoyment of living and effects the lives of the people I love. Maybe someday I will reach the level of acceptance and understanding of you two ladies.

Use this board for support, information and history on fibro. I find myself drifting in and out. I guess when I need it most I know the support is always there. To be able to talk to people who can understand us is a blessing.

Good luck for your future.

Brend

Old 07-15-2005, 04:44 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Grognard Les HB User

32, married 16 years?
Man, he nabbed you fresh off the tree didn't he

Welcome, and an easier question might be did any of your life NOT change hehe.

In around mid 1990s I died thanks to FM.
Yeah, I am not using the term figuratively. As far as I am concerned, the man from 1990 and earlier is dead.

I am not the same person, not a bit. Which I guess qualifies as change eh

Has it all been bad? No not really. I can look back, and with hindsight, actually ponder, and, I think the old guy that was me, was probably a lot worse person too. Maybe life did me a favour (the hard way).

I have a lot of rough moments. Par for the course eh.
I have had to give up a lot, and usually things I cared deeply for too.
But, life has granted me at least a generous dose of wisdom.
Although, I think the original me would have told you to stuff the wisdom.
He wanted to be celebrating 10 years in business about now.

It's an odd guy that willingly picks the lifestyle I live today.
I might as well call myself a househusband. Nothing to distinguish me from a housewife (other than the toys hehe).

FM is about pain for the most part. And you will know pain.
There are so many causes, and so many solutions, that it WILL overwhelm you. So don't let it bug you that it all seems like so much.
It actually is
Each of us is fairly unique, so most of our stories will be equally unique.

I don't have any resentment over having FM. Life can be far more cruel if you let it. FM for all it's pain, is not even close to my worst case scenarios where life is concerned.
FM is that annoying brat, that nagging nuisance, that little irritation that just won't go away if you ask me.
Gets damned tiring, but it could be worse.

I have been helped in feeling a lot more positive from people here, and I think it is good we have a place like this to meet.
No one will understand what you are feeling better, than someone that actually knows what you are feeling.
And THAT is the most important thing to learn about FM.
Don't expect a lot of understanding from those that have not experienced FM.
They just can't picture it.

Last edited by Grognard Les; 07-15-2005 at 04:47 AM.

Old 07-15-2005, 05:23 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

Hi everyone - Lisa, sorry if I misinterpretted your post. I never really spent alot of time thinking about how/when my FM started, but I think I might be an unusual case in that I have had pain since childhood. I have a degenerative disorder in my knees that was dx'd and required surgery at age 10. I started experiencing tender points in my neck, shoulder and back in my early twenties, sometimes debilitating, esp. in the neck. ( much like I am experiencing today, after taking my kids on the roller coaster a bunch of times yesterday at the amusement park!! ) Also, my mother was dx'd with FM years ago, so, in some ways, maybe I was subconsciously expecting it?

My personal faith tells me that I won't see God's plan for my life unfolded before me until my life on earth is over. I trust completely that whatever happens, happens for a reason. And that has helped me, believe it or not, live a much fuller life in the face of fibro. You bet I knew there would be hell to pay for riding the roller coaster six times yesterday so I got a chance to sit with each of my kids, but you know what, knowing what was to come made me live right there in the moment, and enjoy it for all it was worth.

So, I guess I can't really say what may or may not be a symptom of fibro or how/if I knew it was coming, but I agree strongly with Les, all of us are so unique in our bodies and how they respond to FM, we may never know, even if we try to figure it out.

I am sure someone who knows alot more than me will post some better answer for you, but just know that you aren't alone. Have a good one, everybody! Marirose

Old 07-15-2005, 10:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello Everyone,

Just a little one from me. I have a wonderful husband besides me through my life, without whom I would be totally lost. I respect and love him.

The wonderful thing is my life has changed because I now have a family. I have Blue, tk and all of you out there. Thank you all for being you.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 07-15-2005 at 10:27 AM.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

first i would just like to say hello and welcome to the fibro board .
alot in my life has changed since i got fibro. first of all i cannot work due to the pain. i don't go out that much anymore or hang out with friends like i use to. i use to be on top of everything like house chores and i really don't care about that stuff anymore. all the energy i have which is not much goes to my kids now.
i am happy though most of the time because i love staying home with my kiddos so i won't miss anything. i am even wanting to try and have another one. when i got pregnant with my now 2yr old i was not on any medication for my depression or pain except for the ocassional tylenol. i was even working at the time and felt okay.
all in all i guess i have changed for the best and as grognard says started a new life and said goodbye to my old one.
again welcome to the boards,
robin
i have 2kids 2 and 5yrs old and have been married for about 9yrs.
i am 29 almost 30
i have had fibro for about 5yrs now

Last edited by girl75; 07-15-2005 at 11:14 AM.

Old 07-15-2005, 05:42 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Welcome to a wonderful place,

Let me preface this by saying I guess I always had cotton mouth since I probably drank 2 sodas in my life and always, since I was a kid, carried water with me. LOL

I cannot say that fibro has enhanced my life. It hasn't. It has robbed me of many things.

My husband and I were a twosome after years of trying to have chldren but we were very happy and ok with the plan. We enjoyed the same things, the outdoors, music, camping, hiking, going on trips at the spur of the moment. I loved my job and my husband loved his. Things were not perfect, but they were good.

After Fibro most of my friends stopped coming around, my fault or theirs I will never know. I lost the ability to design since my body would not let me use my arms and crawl around on the design table like I loved. I can see that it has taken away many things that I do miss. It also robbed us of financial secruity.

The one thing I can say it has given me is that I know how love can overcome anything and that family is the most important thing there is. I wish I could paint a pretty picture with it, however, that would not be my truth. Knowing that love is what matters is a very strong truth.

Peace and love, Janet

Closed Thread