It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

Goosey HB User
painful hips

I wondered if any of you have the same problem?

I first started having very painful hips in my twenties. At that time, there was also alot of bruising around the joints - so much so that it looked like my husband regularly beat me! He did not! The medical teams tried to get to the bottom of it but no good.

Over the years it disappeared but the pain has returned over the last year without the bruising so far. I am now 50.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User
Re: painful hips

Hi Goosey,

I have not had problems with painful hips until the last few months. It was so bad that I could barely walk. I didn't have any bruising. That is interesting. Why would you get the bruising? Was anyone able to come up with some kind of suggestion as to why you bruise there?

It is painful and eventually after a few days it goes away and then comes back. Sometimes I think it is because I over-do it and it hurts especially when I do yard work. At times it is there for no reason.

Have a good day.

Peace and love, Janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
(female)

RGW HB User

Hi, I have a lot of pain in my hips too and I thought I was heading to a hip replacement at 29! Hip and leg pain aren't always the most painful of my symptoms but they are the most chronic.
It started about 8 months ago with pain on the right side when walking up any sort of incline. Now there is a chronic ache all through my hips and more intense after any exercise or standing for an extended time (like even washing dishes). Sometimes sitting or lying down they feel like they're burning. Other times there is so much pressure I wish I could crack them, like cracking knuckles!
I've had a PT eval. and am working on stretching and loosening some of the muscles in my legs. The muscles all around my thighs are chronically super tight and most of the time hurt too much to be touched or massaged so it makes it difficult, but any tight muscles in our legs will pull on our hips (same for the back muscles too) and throw the hip balance off (or the balance of the muscles in the hip area) and cause pain. Apparently some of the thigh muscles go diagonal across our legs which can really throw off our hips if theyíre tight and pulling.
Iím also working on correcting my hip posture. Apparently I tilt my hips forward (increasing the arch in my back - ďsway backĒ) and this can cause some leg, hip, and back muscles to be too tight and others to be too loose and weak (unfortunely tight doesn't equal strong!). So I have to straighten my hips and balance out the muscles. Loosen and strenghten some and tighten and strenghten others. Doesnít always feel the best but I know itíll be good in the long run, itís kind of like being told to sit up straight! Not something that will happen over night but Iím working on it.
Sorry for writing so much. I donít know if any of this will help you, but itís helping me slowly. I was able to hike again last weekend Ė more than I had done for the past 8 months!!

Old 07-16-2005, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Yes, my hips are one great big pain!! Sometimes it can be a combination of fibro and bursitis.

I have a 3 inch foam mattress plus 2 of the 2" memory foam pads on my bed. This has finally allowed me to sleep more comfortable and hips not hurt so bad at night.

Old 07-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
(female)

redrobin HB User

hi,
i also have hip pain,
rheumy said hip brusitis.
they gave me lidocaine patches to wear for 12hrs
a day.
i choose to wear them at night.
it used to wake me when i turned over on them.

it really helps.
you can wear 3 large patches for up to12 hr a day.
you can even cut them up and place on back,shoulders wherever.

need a script ,i get them thru a mail in pharmacy from my health ins.
they send me 270 at a time.

they really help. and are just skin surface pain management don't go to blood stream.

i also have exercises from pt . to strengthen muscles surrounding bursa sac. when the muscles are weak the sacs become inflammed.

i feel your pain.

robin

Old 07-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Oh the hip pain! Yes I can relate to the hip pain. I have had that for years and yes the tighter my muscles get from not using them or stretching them the worse the pain sometimes. Sitting upright in a chair like a kitchen type chair is murder or a booth at a restaurant, my left foot never touches the floor. I was born with left leg shorter than the right and left hip rotated backwards.

I know all about the sway back and posture that isn't good, been dealing with that for years. It is my fault, I know how I need to stretch and exercise to help alleviate the pain. It is just so hard to keep up all the physical therapy things you have learned when you want to live a normal life. I could spend half my day doing all the right pt stuff and then I would be too tired for anything else. Most of the time am too tired to do anything anyway HEE_HEE!

Old 07-18-2005, 03:31 AM   #7
(female)

Goosey HB User

Thank you all for your input on the hip thing!! This is something which has been with me for many years although I have had a number of clear years in the middle. I have only recently been dx with FM although looking back I am sure that I have had it for years and that it too was in remission for a number of years during my 30-40's. Last year I worked far too much, travelling across the ocean 15 round trips in the 2004, also my second brother died unexpectedly in Jan 05. From Dec/Jan to now I have not been well at all but finally am starting to see daylight with this dx.

The strange thing about the hip pain, although it is more or less always there, I finally came to see even years ago that it is far, far worse just before & during my period. It is deep in the joint and more tender to touch than anything else. The bruising that I mentioned was weird - I had large areas of bruising that was in all stages like purple through to the old bruise of yellow. It was as if the bruise just kept renewing it self. I don't get the bruising now but back in my twenties it did go on for many, many months.

Closed Thread