HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   Damnable Heat (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/305045-damnable-heat.html)

Grognard Les 07-17-2005 07:29 AM

Damnable Heat

Just sitting here, and wondering, of your suffering, which is the greater impact/annoyance/difficulty, the heat of summer, or the cold of winter?

Ok some realities.

In the dead of winter, it snows for some of us (no snow in some places of course). Snow can be a burden I guess for most. I don't drive, so right out, that is not a factor. But I do walk to where I go, so walking in snow is of course harder than just strolling along the sidewalk. I like to get around on my bike, and in the winter, it means no bike (no I am not one of those nuts that bikes in the winter).

Winter is cold (duh about as obvious as it gets eh). But, proper clothing is a simple solution. And interestingly enough, proper clothing actually works on the coldest days. So the cold temperatures are not automatically a barrier.

Winter can be a bit blah looking. And the site of slush doesn't do it for me. Although I do actually like the woods after a snow fall. Provided the walking is possible, you might need skiis in some places :)

In the high heat of summer there is no physical impairment unless it is currently thunderstorming in a big way (well around here that is). I don't live anywhere where mother nature makes a habit of stomping around and trashing the place. Although, I guess bugs can be labelled a physical impairment to enjoying a walk in the woods. You sure remember those days you forget bug repellent.

Summer is more than just hot though. It's muggy, and it's smoggy, and I don't seem to recall polution warnings in the winter. Garbage strikes seem to lose their impact in the winter, maybe they should make contracts conclude in dec when they can negotiate with no fear of threats.

The summer is nice for camping, assuming you can go camping at all.
But, it's hot, and not much you can do about it once you leave your home.
A person can enjoy walking around butt naked at home, but you can't take that out on the street. And what the heck, no gain there, it's still going to be hot, and you just get things burned, that are best left unburned :) Plus, it's hard to carry your keys with nothing on hehe.
Just because there is nothing ON the sidewalk, doesn't always mean that walk will be easy. Walking to the mall on a hot day is not something you always want to do really.
And while a car seat can be frosty in the winter, I don't recall ever getting frost burn on a cold seat buckle. Plus, you can buy frozen foods in the winter, and not worry about immediately rushing home before it thaws out.

But, at the health level of all this, what gives YOU the most trouble, really.
I would have to say I like winter more.
My legs hurt more often than not hurt. And right now, a very hot bath is not really all that attractive in this heat.
I enjoy hot baths a lot in the winter.
I have had nervous collapses from prolonged dealing with extreme hot weather. I don't recall mental meltdowns from the umpteenth cold day in a row.
I can sleep easy in the winter, I don't lose sleep from being to damned hot in the winter.
I can do whatever I might wish to do indoors, and not need to constantly break to cool down (yes, not all of us have central air).
In the winter, I might not get much chance to enjoy bike rides, but that is a small price if you ask me. And I can live with needing a longer amount of time to walk places. Just means leaving a bit earlier.

No fan of summer here. I use it as much as I can, but I find winter less of a pain to my pains.

Glojer 07-17-2005 12:41 PM

Re: Damnable Heat

Fall is my favorite time of year, the weather is not so hot, but not yet that cold. Of course the beauty of fall takes my breathe away. If I had to choose though between winter and summer I would probaby choose winter. The cold does make me ache and I seem to never be able to get warm somedays, but the older I get the harder the summer humidity and heat seems to effect me. Having trouble with the sun is also a negative for summer, that is trying to stay out of it so you don't get a rash or itch or a flare.

My husband and I are nesters by nature so snuggling in on a cold winter evening with a pot of homemade soup and the wonderful way it makes the house smell and having a fresh pot of coffee, wonderful!! Of course the days are so much shorter and that does bother some people, luckily I'm not one of them.

Sure beats getting in and out of a hot car all day, burning your backside on the leather seats and waiting for the a/c to cool off just in time for you to arrive at the next store or wherever you are going. In and out of the heat, some visitors to our part of the country say it is like breathing underwater here, the humidity is so bad. That can really wear you out. Oh and I know all to well about planning your shopping to get the cold or frozen items last so you can make a dash for home so they don't melt or thaw. We have even tried taking a cooler, but it never seems big enough and there is always something that doesn't fit.

I guess I made my case for the winter, but I could probably make just as good a one for summer. We do have central air and we can stay in and it is lighter longer, and we see more of our neighbors and the outdoor BBQ's are great with the family, and until it gets way too hot the grass and flowers are so nice and pretty. In winter everything is so 'blah' with the bare trees etc. And the melting snow that is all black and yuck all along the street as it melts. Oh well I think I would still choose winter, fibro or not I would rather use a heating pad in winter for my aching joints and muscles than in summer.

Glojer

tkgoodspirit 07-17-2005 06:21 PM

Hey guys!

I suffer terrible in the summer. I grew up in Iowa, used to the brutle winters and snow, but absolutely love the springtime and the fall colors.

Here on the Gulf Coast of Alabama, no colors, no snow, and most times no sprintime! LOL I LIKE the cold weather, although the cold air down here is "wet" so it goes right to your bones, but I still like the cold. Stupid, but I own more winter clothes than I do summer! I stay in my summer jammies most of the summer. :) The HUMIDITY down here is nuts! Granted Iowa gets humid, but not for nearly 9 months out of the year. Before I got sick I could tolerate the humidity and get out in the yard dripping, but still tend to my garden. We have some flowers that thrive in this heat, but the gardens still need weeding!

I know that the Duragesic Patch I'm using for pain doesn't do well in the heat. It speeds up the Fentynal release which can make you feel sick. You aren't even supposed to get into a hot tub while using the Duragesic. So I can't get overheated while I'm on the Patch, and I have before and let me tell ya, you feel nasty!

Of course I have A/C, but you know what, a lot don't. Elderly and some lower income families don't have A/C, not even window units. I'm hot natured anyway. Internally hot natured. My body is very warm especially while I sleep. But the outside heat index is killing me!

I wonder if other meds cause you to feel sick when you become overheated? Hmmm...Just a thought.

I wish I lived somewhere I could at least experience a change in seasons. Our "winter" lasts about 3 or 4 months, then all of sudden the trees are blooming one week and totally green the next!

Have a good evening,
tk

girl75 07-17-2005 06:25 PM

summer and i don't go good together. i sweat terrilbly and stay indoors most of the time which means less movement. as yall know it can get pretty hot here in central texas so i sit right next to my fan. i take that thing to every room i am in and plug it right next to me.
when the fall rolls in i start to feel more alive and i start to pull out all my little sweaters and get outside alot more. i will be putting my 5yr old in football this year so that will be so much fun.
but the best for me is winter, i love it. i live in central texas so we don't really get that extreme of a winters so i am able to go out more. i get so into christmas with my kids and i even bake which for sure i don't do in the summer.
i sleep alot better in the winter too especially next to the fireplace.
for some reason my bones don't feel like the are hurting as bad in the winter either.
take care,
robin ;)

bluelakelady 07-17-2005 09:52 PM

i do better in summer because i don't have to wear as many cloths. the cold where i live kicks my fanny. the three layers of clothing hurt. it rarely snows. temps drop into the 20s. summers get up around 100, tho not all the time and very low humidity. usually we have a few days over 100 then it drops down into the 80s. this past week has been hotter than i remember in a few years and no cool ocean breeze to bless the afternoon and evening.
the weather here is not predictable. sometimes i have to change cloths 3 times a day. long johns in the morning, shorts in the afternoon and back in long pants by night.
i can get cool easier than i can get warm. see? i told you all i was weird! last summer i was freezing and the temperature was in the 80's. go figure?
i love all seasons. they each bring eye catching views. i do live where the seasons define themselves. i am opposite of what i was when i was healthy. summer used to drop me on my face and winters i was running around in the snow in shorts and barefoot.
peace,
bluelakelady

leemarie 07-18-2005 03:04 PM

I typically hate the heat; i am one of the lucky ppl who has central a/c and not a lot of humidity in summer...i have lived where it gets humid before and i can't stand it!! My problem is, here in cali, things are usually blooming all year round, so my allergies drive me crazy most of the year.

Fall and winter are definitely my seasons. I'm with you, Glojer, a nice pot of soup, coffee, good book and a kitty to snuggle with are my fave way to spend a rainy day! I love to cook and bake, and every Christmas my kids and I make homemade and hand decorated cookies and goodies to give as gifts, along with homemade Christmas ornaments. Definitely my favorite time of year!

I am definitely a "hottie" lol...i walk around half naked in the winter with the windows open, my poor kids freeze to death! My hands are always warm; it is a rare day when i feel chilled...

Les, thank you for this topic...I really enjoy reading your posts! You have a gift for writing, my friend, as does tk and some others on here...keep it up! This board inspires me constantly...

Warmly,
Lee

seaturtle 07-18-2005 05:33 PM

I've found that this heat and humidity make me a lot worse. Mainly profound fatigue (sheer exhaustion), leg aches, muscle twitches, migraines.
What scares me the most is the fatigue. Yesterday I was pretty all right, did a lot of physical stuff, and today, I came back from a very short walk and felt as though I would collapse. Then I rest and pick up, then do something and it comes back.
But the exhaustion is such that I can't even contemplate opening a can or taking out the garbage.
Do others here experience this level of period exhaustion? Does anything help it besides just resting?
Thanks a lot, greetings to everyone,

Seaturtle

Glojer 07-18-2005 06:33 PM

Seaturtle I definitly experience that kind of exhaustion, especially when in a flare. Resting is all you can do and sooner or later you will feel better.

Grognard Les 07-18-2005 11:50 PM

Not sure I can blame my "fatigue" specifically on the heat. I have found I can have trouble with fatigue at any point of the year.

But I have had days I was all set to do something, and couldn't, simply because the heat was so all imposing in nature.
In the cold, my tools just suck up the cold, and can be a bit too cold to handle. But that is easily solved by working inside in say a basement location where the winter chill is removed from the equation.
But in the heat of summer, there is NO place that you can get away from it truely.

I have stood in my shop, largely in a daze, trying my best to actually focus my thoughts, because I was so completely hot, I couldn't even think straight. It wasn't so much fatigue, my brain was just not functioning because of the heat.

I usually only experience fatigue AFTER some time in the shop. But that makes sense all things considered.

Once had a real nice shop over at parents place (before they moved). In the cold of winter, the walk would often sap all my energy just in getting there. Only a 10 minute walk in summer, but I just don't have the staying power on cold winter days. So I often went over, shot the breeze with parents, and then came home without doing squat in the shop.

On a hot day, I wouldn't even have made the effort.