It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 09:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
Question Blown out veins and brown spots?

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if any of you notice some subtle changes since you got FM or since you developed any of your other conditions regarding your skin pigmentation and change in your veins while trying to have an IV or blood drawn from you.

I get all these brown spots on my legs and arms now. When I was a teen I did spend time in the sun. I'm medium fair and don't tan dark, I DO burn, but not too badly. I HAVE had some whopper burns and I still have "freckles" from where the burn peeled off. But these brown spots are different. I get them on my legs, they are about a half inch, not raised or anything, just looks like a brown spot. Also I get them on my arms. It's wierd. I never noticed them until I got sick, mind you, if you recall, I have more than FM going on. Or I wonder if it could be from the meds I take. I do stay out of the sun as much as possible. I use a tan in a bottle! LOL That is when I notice the brown spots the most. After I appy the self tanner, which is a subtle bronzer, the brown spots are very noticeable.

Second: Here lately whenever I need to have blood drawn or an IV set, my veins blow out. I usually have never had a problem getting a needle in my vein, I have very prominent veins in my inner elbow and on the tops of my hands and wrists. But the last few times I had to have blood drawn, both veins in my inner elbows blew out and the girl finally had to use a vein in the top of my hand, which she said was going to be her last try. And last week when I went for a Foramial Nerve block in my lower back the same veins blew out and they had to go into my wrist. They were going to go into my feet for the IV if the one in my wrists didn't work!

I've always heard technicians and nurses squeal with delight when they see my veins! LOL But lately it's become torterous to have blood taken or have an IV inserted. I am always left with huge bruises from all the places they tried and failed to insert the needle.

I was just wondering if any of you notice a change in your veins since you have gotten sick. Wonder if it has something to do with the meds we take?

Hmmmm.....anybody?

Love to you all,
tk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Blown out veins and brown spots?

hi girlfriend,
i have not noticed a change, other than being very aware of the needle. i have veins that hide or roll when a needle comes near them. there is only one they can use.
if memory serves me right you also deal with lupus, yes? my friend who had lupus got those brown spots and had trouble with her veins blowing out as you put it. very apt description. have you asked your doctor about this? might be a good idea. my friend spent alot of time in the sun and she burned, burned, burned till she got a tan. she was not very wise when it came to her lupus and the sun.
maybe golden will have a better answer than i. goldie old girl, are you there?
love you to the moon and stars!!
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 07-18-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
(female)

leemarie HB User

hi tk!

i get brown patches, these are symptom of adrenal insufficiency i am told...

Warmly,
Lee

Old 07-18-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

i learn something new every day. thank you lee. gee i guess my adrenal gland works. glad something inside me still knows its job, tee hee.
what do you do for it? is there anything you do or take that helps your adrenal gland remember its job? i would like to learn about this from you.
peace and a cool breeze,
bluelakelady

Old 07-18-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
(female)

leemarie HB User

Hiya blue! so nice to talk to you, i really enjoy your posts, they are very helpful to me. This is a new dx for me, we found out quite by accident that i have AI. I was taking prednisone for another condition, and had a really bad flare up of fibro symptoms when i stopped the prednisone. So i did some research and found out that many people with fibro/CFS have adrenal insufficiency causing low cortisol levels.

Further research about AI and Addison's disease brought up a score of symptoms that i have had off and on since childhood (including dark skin pigmentation), and my family history suggests that my grandmother had AI and we suspect my mother does, as well (she also has fibro).

After much research I am beginning to believe that there are many more of us out there who are having problems with adrenal insufficiency, exacerbating or even causing the symptoms of fm.

I am currently taking 20 mg of prednisone a day, which is a dangerous dose for most people...we are trying to taper it down again. I tapered down to 10mg, but symptoms returned, so I have found some other ways that I am trying to treat it using supplements, amino acids and adrenal complexes. I started taking these about 2 weeks ago, in hopes we can get my prednisone dose down...goal at this time is to 10mg/day. I am almost completely off my pain meds, which is miraculous for me...I take an occasional dose of Ultram when needed. I still struggle with sleep deprivation, and working on this also.

I visit the Addison's board on here, and there is much helpful info there for me, although at this time i do not have a formal dx of Addison's disease.

In short, I am very excited that we have found the cause of my fibro symptoms, and that I now have a place to direct my energies toward treatment! I think that has been the single most frustrating element about having a dx of fibromyalgia...I have spent the last 20 years treating symptoms, but getting no real relief for extended periods of time, because of not knowing what the underlying cause was.

I have found it very interesting that many of the treatments listed on this board that people find helpful for fibro symptoms are also used to treat adrenal gland deficiency.

Cortisol is a stress hormone (the 'fight or flight' one). Too much stress also wears out the adrenals. So I need to concentrate on relaxing more, and get out and walk every day.

There is so much info, i can't share it all here, but hope this gives you something to go on!

Warmly,
Lee

Old 07-18-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello tk my old chum,

How are you my dear girl?? Right, to answer your query, I don't have a lot of problems with my veins really, sometimes they won't play nicely for the doctors and nurses, but in the main they are ok. I think if I am having a lupus flare, then they act up a little.

Pigment changes - now that I can relate to. Even though I have never ever sunbathed, and am not one for going out in the sun because of my SLE, my neck on each side has changed from very fair to patchy brown. Both of my arms are very patchy brown, even though they never, ever get sun exposure. I did for a number of years have a patch of brown on my midriff, very strange, but it has gone now.

I agree with Lee about Addison's, but I always thought it was a more overall darkness of skin, but I do not have any personal knowledge of this other than what I have read.

Brown patches on legs may be a sign of diabetes. Have you been checked for this?

Hope this helps, my friend.

goldenwings

Closed Thread