It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

NathanF41 HB User
Cymbalta

I read a lot about people talking about experiences of cymbalta. Can people tell me about how they felt on it? how were the side effects? long term effects? withdrawal effects? I'm currently considering trying it for anxiety and I want to know positives and negatives.

Thanks!

Old 07-21-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Re: Cymbalta

well ive been on cymbalta for a while now, pros, it did help my moods some, not as grouchy due to pain as i was. Suppose to be good for pain and i suppose it has helped some there too. Suppose to help with energy as well but i wouldnt know since im severely anemic and am always tired therefore cant comment on that part of it.
Cons, weight gain, if i skip several due to a reason ( like pharmacy not calling in my refills on time, or doc not returning their calls on time), i start to feel tired, cranky, electrical shocks going thru my body. Its certainly not a miracle drug. It was for the first 3 months lol then the newness wore off i guess. Im hoping to maybe get off it and see if there is a difference in the way i feel. Dont want to be on just another drug if its not doing anything. ive heard good stuff and bad stuff about it. depends on the person and how it works for them personally i guess.
jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

NathanF41 HB User

thanks for the info. It sounds like you go through withdrawal when you skip. Are there any real side effects to speak of besides weight gain?

If you do decide to get off of it...if you taper correctly, please let me know about any withdrawal symptoms that occur, especially after you taper.

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2005, 07:38 AM   #4
(female)

dpaz HB User

Guess I'll add my 2 cents in here as well. I've been on cymbalta for about 6 months or so. I am also on topamax, so I think my results are a due to a combination of the 2. I have to say that I like it. I do feel a real difference in energy level and mood. At first I felt some nausea if I didn't eat a little something with it, which was difficult because I had little to no appetite already due to the topamax. I really also don't think that for most people cymbalta causes an increase in appetite, one of the side effects listed is possible decrease in appetite, although I may have missed one that said increase in appetite. I know that meds work differently on everyone. I was already doing much better on the topamax, especially the burning sensations and migraines, had lost around 20 pounds, then added the cymbalta and had much better outlook on things, now i've lost nearly 35 pounds. I still have to take pain meds. I don't think any anti depressant will ever completely take away the need for them, but if I feel like I can cope better with life, then I will take them. I work nights as a correctional officer and also have to take restoril and flexeril to sleep, but I think I've got that under control for awhile anyway. The only drawback I've seen with the Cymbalta is the price, and even with our insurance, which is good insurance (United Healthcare), my monthly copayment is $50, because there's no generic and it's not a preferred brand, but my doc is always willing to give me plenty of samples because he knows they help me out.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

NathanF41 HB User

hey Dpaz,

I'm also on Topamax for migraines...will be going up to 100 mg next week. Any further info you could let me know would be great since I may be going on both at once also. I may also be stopping the topamax after the summer since my migraines are really only a summer event every year.

What's with the losing weight stuff? I have a very small frame. I'm a skinny guy..5'8" and weigh 136 pounds. Normal for me....but I want to gain weight. I don't want to lose any weight. What's the deal with this?

Thanks.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

nice, lol which i had lost weight with it lol. in six months ive gained like 15 lbs, and doc said it was due to the cymbalta cause i havent changed my eating habits at all. i did prefer cymbalta over prozac for some reason. maybe it makes some lose weight others gain. unlucky ME! lol . YES the price is high even with insurance. I would say try it, see if it helps you in any way. It might help better than some other meds. Or the combination of cymalta with other drugs. If you feel later its not for you, ask if you can try something else. Yes, you do feel withdrawal symptoms from it when you dont have it. I didnt think i would so i was really taken by surprised when i felt it. if i get off of them i will taper with docs knowledge of it and see if it makes a difference at all if im on it or not.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #7
(female)

dpaz HB User

About the topamax, most people do notice some weight loss with it,it was even being studied as a weight loss drug, but the side effects were found to be considered too much for just used for weight loss, although some docs do use it. It's being used for some disorders such as bulemia (I think anorexia though too, although that's the opposite of overeating), but the idea's the same, the compulsive aspect of it. If you do a google for "topamax" and "trip" together, you will find a great forum with some great info. As for the combo, I think it's great together. As far as gaining weight with cymbalta, I looked up the side effects again today, and it did list weight loss. Maybe if I'd kept reading it may have said weight gain. Like we've all said meds work differently for everyone. I do suggest for anyone on topamax, please drink lots and lots (and lots and lots) of water. It will help minimize any side effects you might encounter.

Old 07-23-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
(female)

ukiahvalleymom HB User

I have been on Cymbalta since September 2004, I have had no side effects from it, my dose is 60mgs 2 times a day. Cymbalta initially gave me my brain and eyesight back. Cymbalta didn't help much for the pain, but,when the tests came back that my immune system was compromised and there was intracellular level infections,the prescribed antibiotics relieve my pain along with medicine I take for hypotension.

I think that it is a combination of medicine and supplements together that helps eleviate the many different symptoms of FMS & CFS for me. My regime also includes a Coenzyme, NADH;it improves Cellular energy, elevates mental clarity and improves alertness and concentration. An Amino Acid; L-Tyrosine which builds the norenephrine level. And my doctor just added Serotonin which has really helped. I also take a B-100's/a day and other supplements for FMS, Ultram for pain (Norco if really bad! haven't had to take for almost 2 weeks.) I take Trazodone and 5HTP before bed, 90% of the time I sleep better now.

The problem with FMS is that every body's chemistry is different and the bottom line of the cause is different, so what works for one may not work for another.

What I will say is going to Dr Kent Holtorf has been my biggest leap of faith with this illness and the most rewarding, the results are, I'm feeling so much better, I started back to work this last Wednesday, part time! Yeah!!

I wish all of you the best, and hope you find the right mix to help you through this journey, fibro-hug uvm

Old 07-23-2005, 08:40 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

NathanF41 HB User

Thanks for the info. Did the cymbalta cause your infections? i was unclear about that part. Otherwise nice to hear about no side effects.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

[COLOR=Navy]hello, i have been taking cymbalta for about 4wks now and i so far so good. i was taking effexor 300mg and lexapro20mg, and when i stopped seeing the doctor that prescribed me the medication (i was fired) i was stuck like chuck still taking these meds. i wanted off of all the effexor because it wasnt doing anything for me. i started seeing this new doc and she was able to wean me off of both the meds and start me on cymbalta. so far i feel like it is doing the job of both those meds.
goodluck!!!!
robin (girl75)

Old 07-25-2005, 04:47 PM   #11
(female)

Dustyblue HB User
Post Re: Cymbalta

My roomate has been on it.
At first it seem to help her pain.
But hardly a week went by and she got stomach pain really bad.
She had to come off of it, bottom line.

Everyone is different. Never know if it will help you or not.
If the doc can give you samples to try, that would be super.
Or get only half of your Rx filled to save money if you can not tolerate it.

Hugs*

Closed Thread