It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
(male)

Ed276 HB User
goldenwings i need to talk to you

hello goldenwings
well i have posted on backproblems for about 6 mo. thinking i was having thoratic disc problems and i dont know for sure if i dont have some still but i had a bone scan done and it told me about my costochondritis i was in a truck rollover accident gasoline tanker truck 8 mo ago i have lower back pain neck pain mid back pain but this chest pain is killing me every where i look it says 6 mo. it should be gone well it might have been alot worse in the beginning i do remember my left arm hurting so bad i wished that they would cut it off i took it as my neck causing my pain and it slowly let up and my chest pain let up some what i still have arm pain that i think now is from my neck low back pain from ddd in disc but shouldnt this chest pain stop or is it muscle spasm in chest from my back i would really tnank you for your time and insight and help direct me on what to do i see that you had steriod shots
thank you agian in advance
ed in va.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: goldenwings i need to talk to you

Hello Ed,

Sorry to have taken a while to come back to you. From what I can gather you are saying that as a result of your accident - what a dreadful thing to happen to you - you have been left with this horrible chest bone pain. Costochondritis is not a condition that can, in my personal experience, be given a time limit. It has been coming and going with me now for years.

Just a bit more information on costo for you:-

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects the inner end of each rib with the breastbone (sternum). It can occur in any age group and is most common in young adults. The risk of developing costo increases with any physical activity that causes trauma or strain to the ribcage. It is a benign condition usually of short duration that resolves completely. Sometimes though it can recur or become persistent.

The predominant symptom is a sharp pain in the affected area, most commonly involving the second or third ribs, which are often very tender to touch. (Ribs are counted down from the top and the first rib lies under the collar bone). The pain is usually related to movement, coughing and sneezing and can occur in more than one place simultaneously. Pain can also radiate into the arm and can be associated with a feeling of tightness in the chest.

There is another syndrome - Tietze - that is sometimes diagnosed as costo and vice versa. Perhaps this is worth you looking into, Ed. A bit of info here for you:-

Tietze syndrome has a sudden onset without any preceding respiratory illness or any history of minor trauma. In Tietze syndrome there is frequently radiation of pain to arms and shoulders as well as pain and tenderness associated with swelling at the spot that hurts.

I was interested in the latter beause of your saying that the pain was in your arm too. In costo though, there is normally no swelling or redness in the area.

I am not medically qualified, but I am answering this because of your direct request to me, and I can only talk from my own experience, but I would look in depth at both of these and then match your symptoms and pain to whichever one you think is more relevant.

I did have steroid injections into my ribs because of the costo and I am going to a clinic soon to have them done again. This is the only thing that works for me. I have numerous medical conditons, so things are a bit dicey when it comes to workable treatments for me. This one won hands down though he he. They are uncomfortable to have done done, but worth it.

I do so hope this has helped you in some small way Ed, and if I can help you further please let me know.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 07-23-2005 at 01:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
(male)

Ed276 HB User

thank you again
i dont have any redness or swelling of my chest oh how long did you get relief from the steriod injections and what kind of dr do you see would my spine dr know about this or should i find a trauma dr
ed in va.

Old 07-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Ed,

If it was an either/or diagnosis, then you would go for the costo one you mean? Even so, you really do have to go and make sure this is what you are dealing with. Have the doctors kept a check on you since the accident? Have they run any more tests? You really hve to push them to find out what this is, you can't go on with this much pain.

The pain relief I get normally from the injections lasts for about 6 months. I think if I didn't have so many other medical problems, it would last a lot longer. I haven't had any for a long time because I had open heart surgery and this area has been too messed up to even touch.

Yes, I would think that your spine doctor should be able to advise you on this, and then perhaps refer you to a rheumatologist - this was who did mine - or even better a pain management doctor.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 07-23-2005 at 05:42 PM.

Old 07-23-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
(male)

Ed276 HB User

yes its been 8 mo. and i have been off work and i have been to so many drs i have ddd in 3 disc in my lower back that bother me real bad it has went into my hips my grion and sometimes down my leg my neck is so stiff and still hurts i have arm pain not as bad as when the wreak happened but i think it is nerve problem the only reason i found out about it was they gave me a bone scan and it showed a broken rib and this costo i do remember hitting a bar that you hold on to i was the passenger i was training another driver and a car was in our lane and forced us off the road upside down then into a moutian i had so much pain every where for so long that i just thought i was really beat up but this chest pain over took everything now its like i get up and i know how bad my day will be by how bad my chest hurts in the first hr im taking ultram and nsaids the ultram works some if i keep it in my system i started putting heat on my chest and it does help some too but i never thought it was my chest i was putting ice and heat on my back and nothing was helping i amazed me how amost every web sight i went to kept saying 4 to 8 weeks 6 mo at the most but there is hundreds of people on these boards that have had it for years do they not know much about it i also seen one sight that said surgery could cut out the inflammed part but i only found one sight that said that is that true? cause i would rather cut it out then not to be able to do nothing without it flaring up this pain is crazy for awhile i thought i was going crazy b/c no dr could tell me what it was i even thought that they tought i was lieing now they have changed but they still act like its not that bad b/c its w/c you have really helped me with this i think im going to ask my personal injury attorney to find a dr so w/c is not envoled b/c they dont want to help

Old 07-24-2005, 06:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Ed,

How are you today, apart from this horrid pain? Yes, I agree with you you do need to get all of this sorted. What really gets to me is the people who say "oh, it should only last for blah, blah, blah". They say this because they read it in a book, and know nothing about it personally. What do they know? Are they going through this pain? No, I don't think so.

Don't let anyone convince you this is in your mind. It surely isn't. It's fine taking pain relief, but in the end you are going to need more and more, as you know. You need to get to a doctor that is going to listen and actually "hear" what you are saying and take notice.

No, I have never ever come across cutting the ribs out, that would not work when you think about it. What, would they make new artificial ribs, I don't think so. Come here, where you know others have been through and are going through the same as you. You will always get people who have the oddest ideas and say the oddest things. If this was the case, there would be no more horrid costo pain would there? Take no notice, Ed. Take notice of what people who have been there are saying.

If you can go to your personal injury attorney and ask his/her advice, then do so. You need a referral soon to a good doctor. Also, go on line and look up information on costo, and there you will see that it can and does recur. There is definitely not a time limit on the pain.

I am in the UK, so I don't know the procedures you have to go through to get another doctor, but if your personal injury lawyer can help, use him/her definitely. You do not have to go through this pain, and should not have to more to the point.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 07-24-2005 at 06:31 AM.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:15 AM   #7
(male)

Ed276 HB User

good morning
hope your feeling good this morning
im doing so so. im waiting on a reply from attorney i had a friend tell me that the reason the dr. act like it doesnt last long is b/c they just want me back to work and it will also cost them more money if i realize whats really wrong and that most do heal that fast but i dont like that way of treating your patients shouldnt drs be totally honest with us and i also have so much other serious stuff wrong with me im surely never going back to him i now have caught him in several lies and he knows that b/c i just told him i thought he was lieing he really didnt like that very much
what my plan is to get a dr and get thoses injections that will stop the pain in my chest and if there still pain in my chest then that means i probally have disc problems in my thoratic spine like i always thought and ill get a mri of that area i should have already had one done
where at in the uk do you live? have you always lived there?
and do you like it
hope you have a pain free day
ED in Va.

Old 07-25-2005, 07:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Dear Ed,

Good for you. Stick to what you believe and as you say if the injections don't work (which I hope they will) take it from there. Have a plan in place and then you know where to go next.

Being unhappy with your present doctor will only exacerbate your stress, and then that will make your physical pain so much worse. You cannot be expected to return to work feeling as bad as you are. Your doctors must be honest with you, and you should ask and ask and insist on all sorts of procedures to be done until you reach a definite diagnosis and treatment plan.

When you say you have other serious stuff going on, was this caused by the accident or were you unwell before? Underlying problems will cause more pain and discomfort for you. You need to address these too.

I live on an island which is classed as the UK. I love it here but have not lived here all of my life. I used to live on the UK mainland. I do still visit there sometimes, but not often. It is much less stressful here on my island.

Take care

goldenwings

Old 07-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
(male)

Ed276 HB User

yes goldwings all my problems come from the accident like i said the dr told me i had a broken rib so i said that a broken rib is causing my grion and lower back to hurt like it does he said oh yes your whole body will hurt well i can tell right now no broken rib is going to make me hurt like this for 8 mo and my bone scan doesnt show a broken rib anyway costochrondraitis will go into my upper back suposely and arm well thats not my lower back or grion so ill take the shots and we will see what happens butt that dr will not come near me with a needle!!!!!!!!! SO I JUST SIT AND WAIT FOR A PHONE CALL TO SEE WHAT TO DO IM NOT GOING BACK TO WORK HURTING THIS BAD
Ed in Va.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello Ed,

Well I do so hope that you get some relief from all of this soon. I am due to go again myself so I will let you know when this happens.

Take care

goldenwings

Closed Thread