It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 07:14 AM   #1
(female)

lgdavis HB User
Fibro symptoms

Hi. I'm new here.I am 36 yrs old. I was reading the posts about Fibro. For several years now I have had horrible pain and stiffness in my back, legs, neck, shoulders, even my ankles!! It is worse the week before my period. It is very hard to get out of bed due to the pain. I also get IBS symptoms with the others. It has gotten much worse the past couple of months. I feel like I'm 80 yrs old!!!!!!!! Do my symptoms sound familiar to any one? Should I see my Gyno, or my Family Dr? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Lisa

Old 07-26-2005, 07:23 AM   #2
(female)

Twinklez81 HB User
Re: Fibro symptoms

i had to visit several doctors before they came to the conclusion about fibro because so many illnesses mimic it.

Ive seen an edocrinologist (which you may want to start with to check your hormone levels and your thyroid), i saw my gynechologist to get my anual visit to make sure there was no growths, ive seen Podiatrist because of ankle and foot pain (he found i have a heel spur, which causes heel, knee and back pain). Finally I saw the Rheumatologist, had a bunch of blood work done, and he came to the conclusion based on my symtoms and blood work about fibromyalgia.

They have to rule out autoimmune disease, bacteria and viruses first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

daqa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklez81
i had to visit several doctors before they came to the conclusion about fibro because so many illnesses mimic it.

Ive seen an edocrinologist (which you may want to start with to check your hormone levels and your thyroid), i saw my gynechologist to get my anual visit to make sure there was no growths, ive seen Podiatrist because of ankle and foot pain (he found i have a heel spur, which causes heel, knee and back pain). Finally I saw the Rheumatologist, had a bunch of blood work done, and he came to the conclusion based on my symtoms and blood work about fibromyalgia.

They have to rule out autoimmune disease, bacteria and viruses first.
>>i had to visit several doctors before they came to the conclusion about fibro because so many illnesses mimic it.<<
you said it! basically, I would say do some more research on fibro, there is a multitude of resources all over the internet! fibro does mimic other illnesses, and if you have a 'good' doc he will rule out other illnesses to come to a final diagnosis. just a thought for ya though-my experience with docs has been-I have been more successful getting treatment and recognition from an internal medicine doc rather than a family practitioner. I don't know why-maybe it's because they get more education on the system of the body as a whole?? I don't know-it's just a thought for you to consider unless you are really comfy with your doc and don't want to switch-that totally up to you. I have been through a handful of docs before I was able to find one who not only was familiar with fibro but actually treats other patients with it. if you do decide to switch docs-don't be afraid to ask the receptionist at the office if that particular doc treats other patients with fibro! the right doc is soooo important! good luck!

Old 07-27-2005, 08:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

i had to deal with the pain for 3yrs before fibro was even mentioned. i had a work comp acci. in 00' and was dx with a herniated disc and 2 bulging disc. i also have disc degeneration in my mid back so i guess after everything like physical therapy and different injections did not work and my pain was just as bad as it was in the beginning and after 3yrs of dealing with it and 2 pain management docs later was i dx with fibro. it all made perfect sense to me though because i had pain in my legs as a young girl as well a low back pain . i was also in an auto acci. in 95' where my neck was injured. now here i am at 29 almost 30 learning how to deal with my pain and wanting another child. goodluck and i wish you the best of luck on everything.
robin (girl75)

Old 07-27-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Welcome lgdavis! Your symptoms sound like fibro, but as the others said you have to rule out other things. If your insurance requires referrals, then you would need to start with a family doc. and get referrals to the others. An endocrinologist is important as already suggested, check out the thyroid board to get info on what to look for there. Then if you trust and like your family doc go from there, a rhuematologist or pain management doc.

It is all about finding the right doc, I can't emphasize that enough and it may take a while but don't give up. Good Luck!

Old 07-28-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
(female)

lgdavis HB User

Thanks for all of the input. Today is a good day. Some are are so bad it kills me to try to get out of bed. But, with three kids getting out of bed is a must!!!

Lisa

Old 07-28-2005, 07:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

lisa i know what you mean about the kiddos. i only have 2 right now but decided that i really would like a 3rd. even with all the pain that i am in at least i stay home now. with the last 2 i worked till the the end regardless of the pain but this time i plan on taking it easy doing yoga and other relaxing things.
my daughter is 2 and my son is 5 and both have a b-day in october so i am looking foward if i become pregnant to being pregnant in the winter.
right now the kids and i go to bed a bit late and wake up late at about 10:30, which really helps, but i know i need to hurry up and get back in to the school schedule. i also get to take a nap if i need one when my husband gets home at 3:30.
in the morning when we wake and my pain is at its worst i make the kids something quick like frozen waffuls, frozen pancakes, frozen french toast or cereal and get my coffee, take a pain med and sit on the computer until i am able to be nice and function. before all this i am not a very nice person. LOL!!!!
robin

Closed Thread