It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
(female)

june789 HB User
Question did anyone have a bad spasm on hands as onset symptom of fibromyalagia?

Hello ~ all
I'm new here.
I've had bad tendonitis that hasn't been healing for six months for right thumb and 3 months for left thumb.
about a week after I injured the left thumb 3 months ago, I had really bad spasm on left hand palm, I ended up going to ER, I was relieved with muscle relaxant for couple days but soon burning pain followed on my left hand and more spasms (not bad as the first initial one) continued. About couple weeks later I had spasms on my right hand as well. By that time, I was feeling needling,ripping and crushing pains too. Then about another week later I began feeling same needling pains on both feet too.
First I was told that I may have RSD/CRPS, but I didn't show all the classical symptoms of RSD. I was given topamax and this made needling pain to spread all over the body, so I stopped.
For first 2 month after the bad spasm, I didn't have any stiff joint and aching pain when I move, but beginning about a month ago, I gradually began to feel more stiffness and aching around fingers and feet. I felt that the aching pain gradually building up to really bad few days ( in the morning, I was even afraid of moving a little bit due to a pain on hands and feet and stiffness all over the body).
I was also given neurotin on days just prior to bad aching days, so I stopped the neurotin too not knowing really if it was the effect of the pills.

long story short, my last dotor visit was with rheumatologist, and he thinks I have fibromyalagia and he gave me tramadol. I felt that the stiffness was less and overall pain was less taking this pill for first few days, but now I'm feeling the aching and ripping pain is building up even though I'm taking the tramado.

I would like to know if fibromyalagia can be triggered with bad spasms?
can one ever go into a remission?( I badly miss days I was active and feel refreashed)
I'm in this strange pain cycle and upon that, my tendonitis is back adding more pain, is there simple home remedy I can ease the burning and crushing pain?

Thank you for reading this and I appreciate any reply
have a nice day~

Last edited by june789; 07-27-2005 at 06:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User
Re: did anyone have a bad spasm on hands as onset symptom of fibromyalagia?

hi there, i also have tendonitis in my left hand that i got as a result of a w/c acc in 97. i went through OT even had to wear a splint for a couple of months.
after all that i still have pain. my right hand has the same pain now and hurts really bad especially after repetative motion.
so far the only thing that i know of that helps relieve the pain is wearing a hand brace and heat. also i remember they told me to fill one side of the sink with ice cold water and the other side with almost hot water then you put it in the cold water for a couple of minutes and then in the hot water for a couple of minutes.
this should help with any swelling. also maybe you can try one of those patches that came out that have heat when put on.
i use to work at a chiropractor when this happened and as you can imagine i used my hands alot doing messages as well as other different therapies.
i hope you get some relief because i know how painful it is.
your knew friend,
robin

Old 08-01-2005, 01:46 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

luv2read HB User

Hand pain was one of my first symptoms back in 95. I was spraying "Stain Out" on some clothes and my right hand got very stiff and painful the more I tried to spray the clothes. My fingers get soo stiff that it's hard to put them out straight when I use my hand repetively (sp?).

I was 24 yrs old then with a new baby. I'm 34 yrs old now and the muscle-joint pain is in every single part of my body - especially when using muscle repetively.

- It didn't take it long back in 95 for the pain and stiffness to go into the left hand and arm either.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

danballa HB User

Hi there, I'm not a frequent poster here, but I still stop in and read the posts failry often. Less then a year before I got hit hard with FM, I was having the horrible spasms and pains in my left hand. They said it wsa carpal tunnel, had the surgery, went through occupational therapy for it, and it still bothered me. It hasn't officially been labled as part of FM, but it's been in the back of my mind.
As far as remission, yes it is possible, my understand, and I may be completely wrong, is that it is pretty rare, and most who have experienced it, either have, or have access to a quality hot tub on a regular basis. I'm still fighting with INS over that one. All Dr.'s I go to support it, but INS doesn't want to cover it. Not enough medical proof is what they keep saying.
I know exactly what you mean missing the good ole days of being active. I used to be an athlete, and it just kills me that I can't get out and run, play basketball, go to the gym, or 1/2 the time even walk an effective distance. The best, and only form of excersize I have found for me, is a recumbent bike, that has a heart rate monitor in it. By using it, and carefully watching my heart rates, in the 3 months I have had it, I have improved the length of time I can use it by times, and have increased my heart rate I am able to maintain by close to 50 pulse rates higher. I can't use it every day, but when I am even 1/2 way up to it, I force myself, and am making pretty good progress. The down side, is that next day...man talk about muscle joint stiffness. I barely leave my bed.

best of luck to you
Danballa

Closed Thread