It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 09:58 PM   #1
(female)

fru5trated HB User
Question brain misinterpetig smells

Hi Everyone,

I had a new experience today and am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. Several times today odors did not match the source of the smell. For example rasberry yogurt smelled like corn on the cob (which made for a very strange breakfast ) and skin so soft oil smelled like cotton candy.

Thanks for your feedback!

Old 07-29-2005, 06:34 AM   #2
(female)

daqa HB User
Re: brain misinterpetig smells

Quote:
Originally Posted by fru5trated
Hi Everyone,

I had a new experience today and am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. Several times today odors did not match the source of the smell. For example rasberry yogurt smelled like corn on the cob (which made for a very strange breakfast ) and skin so soft oil smelled like cotton candy.

Thanks for your feedback!
hi fru5trated-I can't believe it! I have the same problem! I thought I was going nuts! it's some kind of sensory disturbance thing but I don't know what it is?? if I find any info on it I'll let ya know-and could you please do the same? I am going nuts! LOL
ps-this can be caused by pregnancy too I know I'm definately not pregnant-I'm actually wondering if it could be sinusitis or a side effect of my meds-I just tried getting off paxil(HORROR SHOW) but I'm back on it again of course and now I'm smelling things that aren't even there! I am also on seroquel for sleep.the wierd thing is that before I tried getting off paxil I didn't smell things that weeren't there

Last edited by daqa; 07-29-2005 at 06:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Hi Fru and Naq,

I too am very sensitive to smell. I can smell someone doing their nails in the other side of the house with the doors closed. It makes me ill at times.

I have noticed that food smells funny to me and I cannot eat it at times. It is the same food I have eaten for years yet if it is cantalope, like the other day, it smelled like dirty socks.

Maybe it is that with Fibro our senses our very acute and we do misinterpret the odors.

On the bright side, if there was a hint of smoke anywhere in my home I would smell it

I would also be interested to know if anyone has done any research.

Peace and love, Janet

Old 07-29-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
(female)

daqa HB User

hello fello fibro frogs!
I think you may be right about it somehow being linked to fibro-I couldn't find anything online about it but i'm going to look around some more. just another line on the list for us huh?

Old 08-01-2005, 11:07 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

pixiepoodle HB User

I've had the same problem for a long time. Once I thought I smelled perm solution and it turned out to be a roast beef cooking - talk about mixed up.
I think my smell problem is due to head tramas from being in 3 car accidents. I wonder if any of you who posted on here have been in car accidents or had a head injury caused some other way. I read once that head injuries can mess up your sense of smell.

Old 08-01-2005, 09:32 PM   #6
(female)

Tangents HB User

Hi!

I , too , have a very sensitive sense of smell- I pick up on the strangest odors that no one else notices. I had a terrible chemical sensitivity some years ago which still lingers with certain chemicals - it seems like the sense of smell is magnified. Sometimes it is overhwhemingly distracting.

I have read that there are cases of loss of smell, distorted smell - it has something to do with neurons in the olfactory . An interesting read on this and other senses by Diane Ackerman - " A Natural History of the Senses".

I do not think it is always clear as to why the sense of smell diminishes or distorts.

I was diagnosed with firbomyalgia in '96...a year after a nasty overexposure to chlorine. I always felt it affected my sense of smell was by sharpened by it. ( Or maybe my imagination !!)
Recently, though, taking meds for Lyme , my sense of smell ( and taste which is related) was totally off .

I have such bizarre happenings since this ll began that I try to humor myself about it - or it would drive me crazy!!

Old 08-02-2005, 02:26 AM   #7
(female)

fru5trated HB User

Thanks for replying everyone!

Not that I'd wish this (or any other symptoms) on anyone, but it's reassuring to know others are having similar experiences.

I've been told a few terms I could try when looking for info on this particular symptom. I haven't felt up to doing so yet though. In case any of you are interested, they are: dysosmia, hyposmia, cacosmia, phantosmia, and heterosmia.

I've been in several car accidents too, which I suspect is a factor in my possibly being part of the FMily.

Fru5trated

Closed Thread