It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
(female)

aaronon HB User
Duragesic Patch

Hi all,

I would like to know if anyone here has ever used the fentanyl patch for pain. My doctor has given me one to try for Fibro, (50 mg) and it has so many warnings and contraindications, that it worries me. I would appreciate any any all help! Thanks!

aaronon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User
Re: Duragesic Patch

hey there arronon, i have actually tried the patch and was only started out a 25mcg and that did not really do much for my pain i guess since i have been taking norco for 2yrs. when i went in to let the nurse practioner know how i felt and that it was not helping me she decieded that it just wasn't what i needed. i was really upset because i wanted to at least try the 50mcg along with norco for break through pain and she said that if it was not helping me now that it would not help me at all.
i think that the patch is a great thing especially if you have pain the way some of us do, all the time. i thought it was a great idea because i do get tired of taking pills all day sometimes. the only bad thing was the first time that i put it on, the feeling i got when the morphine was released into my bloodstream, i felt so lightheaded and funky and after that i felt fine. oh yeah another thing was that it was coming off easily so it is a good idea to either tape it on with first aide tape or cover it with a big bandaide, so that way it won't come off in the shower. of course just don't put heat on it because it will release the med to qucik and i think other than that it was fine. goodluck and if you have anymore questions let us know. i know that also on the pain management board i was able to get information to.
take care, robin (girl75)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Hi Arronon,I was on the 50 mg. paych for over a yr, it helped me for awile and after the first few days the worse side effect I had was wantin to nod off all the time, I was on percocet for BT pain.
I found that the patch was not effective for the 72 hrs it's rx'ed for at best 48.
You can contact the co. that makes the patch if you have trouble with it sticking and they will send you special covers for it, you need to be careful as the patch is sensitive to heat changes such as in covering it with band-aids or hot showers and bathes ect.
I finally got off as it just wasn't working and it was stating to irritate my skin so bad it was like burns.
I hope that this works for you as it is nice not to have to take pills all the time.
Linda

Old 08-01-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
(female)

ksp HB Userksp HB Userksp HB User

Hi Arronon, I was on the patch once before after a surgery and it made me very tired. The thing you need to remember about any narcotics is that they can be addicting and that they do not take away the pain, they just make you not think about it as much. If you are not comfortable with the warning labels then I would not use it but of course thats up to you. I do have Morophine (pill form) but I only take it when I can not stand the pain any more, other than that I take nothing and just deal with it. I however, have a high tolerance for pain and not everyone has that. I wish you the best and hope you find something that helps. Keep us posted...
ksp

Old 08-02-2005, 09:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Hi Arronon,

I have been on the Duragesic patch since January of this year and I have to say it is the best long acting medication I have had yet. The doc will start you on a low dose, i.e. 50mcg. You must remember however, that the dosage is in Micrograms, not Miligrams. It is extremely potent, about 100 (I think) times more potent than your normal dose in miligrams.

The big thing here with this type of transdermal medication is to make sure since it is hot outside that you do not overheat. The patch will release the Fentynal at a super rapid pace if your skin temp reaches something like 102 degrees, not sure on that, but read the package insert that comes with the patches. It is important not to overheat or you can experience nausea, dizziness, and tremors. Do NOT cut the patch, again it will release the Fentynal at a super rapid pace. This medicine is meant to release s l o w l y.

The other good thing about the Duragesic patch is that it comes in a lot of different dosages. Up to 350mcg I believe, so you have lots of room to adjust the dose so it helps you the best. You will know that your dose is too high for you if you experience high blood pressure, tremors, and a dizziness. Then you have too high of a dose. You will usually experience nausea the first couple weeks, sometimes longer, you try the patch, but that should pass. Your doc can prescribe you Phenagren (sp?) to help with nausea until you get used to the medicine.

Also, there are now generic brands out there, but BEWARE! They do not work as well as the name brand for a lot of people. There is SANDOZ, which is made by Janssen, who also makes the name brand, BUT, when I used the SANDOZ, I found that it didn't stick as well. The other generic is MYLAN. Stay away from that! You can hardly see the gel medicine in the thing. It's like wafer thin! Nobody I have heard using that generic brand likes it, nor do they get any relief for it. I'd make a bet that it won't be long on the market. If you have to use generic, use the SANDOZ. If your pharmacy doesn't carry SANDOZ, ask them to order it for you. Or you can do like me, ask your doc to write your script as follows: FILL BRAND NAME ONLY and you'll get the Duragesic brand. Most insurance companies will comply. And the other posters are correct about it usually not lasting the whole 72 hours. I noticed that right away, and mentioned it to my doc. So he writes my script now to change every 48 hours, and it made a big difference.

I started out on 25mcg in January and am now up to 75mcg and it seems to be working well. If you have been on opiates for a good length of time, usually you will need a higher dose of the Duragesic.

Now, you will most likely need a short acting medication for breakthrough pain. That is up to you and your doc. I personally use Roxicodone 30mg 4 times daily. But I have other issues going on besides Fibro pain.

I believe, personally, it is a good thing that docs are prescribing the patch to Fibro patients, because it is a long acting med and you don't have to worry about taking so many pills. The idea, in a perfect world, is to get the Duragesic to a dose where you don't need to rely on breakthrough meds every day. If you are taking your full daily dose of b/t meds everyday, then your LA med is not strong enough.

Pain management is great, but it doesn involve a lot of trial and error as your body becomes tolerant of the narcotics you are using.

Oh and about the covers for the patch. Yes you can order them from Janssen, free of charge. I have never done that before, but I have heard from other's who have and it took forever to get the covers. Too bad they can't figure out that maybe they should stick those buggers in the box with the Duragesic patch! There are other things you can use to secure the patch. You can use water proof stretchy medical tape, it comes in a tape dispenser that looks like Scotch Tape. Also there is a clear cover made by Nexacare called Tegaderm. It is clear and a box of 8 costs about $18! They are ridiculously expensive. Also the Tegaderm patches aren't as big as some of the patches. Like if you are using 100mcg Duragesic, that is a pretty big patch, you would need two Tegaderm covers to be sure that your whole patch was covered. My best advice to help keep them sticking: Put on a new patch after you shower, apply rubbing alcohol to the spot you are going to put the patch to dry your skin, keep rubbing around the edges where the adhesive is until you have it secure, try and keep it dry especially if you are in the shower, try to be as dry as possible when you place the patch, don't put it on if you are hot and still sweating when you get out of the shower. Also the best place to apply the patch, according to my pain doc, is on the upper torso. On your upper arm, chest, or if you are really good, on your upper back! Just never apply a new patch directly over where the old one was.

Okay? Simple huh? LOL Give it a try and ask your doc to up the dose if you still feel pain. Like I said, the dosages go up pretty high, so 50mcg is pretty low for Fentynal.

Good luck,
tk

Old 08-02-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
(female)

aaronon HB User

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info. TK did you have any side effects of the 50 mg patch? I still haven't used it, I'm so scared of the contraindications, but I'm hurting so badly....I don't know what to do. Again, any info would be great!

a

Old 08-02-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Hi aaronon,

I don't know if we have met but if not, nice to meet you.

I was on the duragessic patch for 2 years. I started at a low dose and ended up taking the 100 mg. I consider it a wonderful medication. I did not experience any type of nausea, sleepiness, or dizzyness.

It was probably the best pain medication that I took for my fibro.IMO The reason I stopped takiing it was that I didn't want to deal with the patches any more and since I have such sensitive skin it was hard on my skin. I did find out until after the fact that there is a spray you can use before you put it on that keeps your skin healthy. I also wanted to see where my pain level was.

When taking the Duragessic brand, I never had a problem with them staying on. After trying a few different places I ended up putting them on my lower back.

Of course, everyone reacts differently to meds. For me, I was very happy with them.

Another nice thing about the patch was not having to take pills. I even didn't have to take many BT meds for pain.

Good luck, I hope they work for you as well as they did for me if you choose to use them.

Peace and love, Janet

Old 08-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #8
(female)

aaronon HB User

Thanks guys and gals,

I'm thankful for this board. Since no one in my family(immediate family that is) believes that I have Fibro, ya'll are the only ones that I can discuss anything with. Thanks for the info...I tried it, but I think I was so nervous about it, I starting hurting in my chest(probably stressing myself out) so I took it off and put it away for another day.

I'm just weird I guess.

a

Old 08-04-2005, 12:13 PM   #9

CherBearC HB User

I also use the patch - 25mcg. I've used it for over a year and it does help reduce my level of pain. But it doesn't get rid of the pain completely.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronon
Thanks guys and gals,

I'm thankful for this board. Since no one in my family(immediate family that is) believes that I have Fibro, ya'll are the only ones that I can discuss anything with. Thanks for the info...I tried it, but I think I was so nervous about it, I starting hurting in my chest(probably stressing myself out) so I took it off and put it away for another day.

I'm just weird I guess.

a

Hi aaronon,

You put the patch on then took it off and you still have it? If so, throw it away! It's no good once you it. The gel dries up, and if you touch it and don't wash your hands you could accidently ingest the medicine. Fentynal is a very powerful drug.

Do you have more patches? I would definately give them a chance. You aren't on a very high dose. May I ask what other pain meds you have used? Doctors usually don't hand out those patches to patients who aren't used to narcotics or opiates.

Don't be afraid. I'm thinking that you are worrying yourself into a frenzy here for no reason. Once you place the patch on, it will take a few hours before you feel the benefits. The patch will create a "port" on your skin so that it can be absorbed into your system. Best way, IMO to put them on, is to put it on at night, then you will wake up with less pain. I know when I change my patch (which I'm due to change today!) if I put it on at night I will wake up with little noticeable pain and that is such a wonderful feeling. I hate waking up in pain!

Please, give these a try. Put it on and leave it on, just try it. You aren't giving yourself a chance to feel better. You deserve to feel better. As the other poster said, it won't take your pain away 100%, but it does but a big ol' dent in it!

As for my side effects, I did feel nauseated for awhile, but the Phenagren helped with that. That's really about it. The only problem I have is when I get overheated, I will feel nauseated and a little dizzy. Mind you, it's not reacting to a high "BODY" temp, it's reacting to a high "SKIN" temp. When your skin heats up, then the patch heats up and it is sensitive to heat. When the patch heats up it releases the Fentynal at a rapid pace which will cause temporary symptoms of nausea, dizziness, and sometimes your blood pressure will rise, which will also cause you to feel kinda funny. This is a RARE occurance though. Just keep it cool. If you are working outside in the yard or such, take a cool rag with you to place over the patch from time to time, and take lots of breaks.

Other than that, the patch is very safe and very effective. It holds no more danger than an oral opiate. Less actually cuz you can't overdose on it. So please, for your own sake, give it a chance. Put it on and leave it on and let it do it's thing for you. As with any medication, there MAY be side effects, and there may not be. Everyone is different.

But, please promise me you will throw that old patch away. It's no good now. You can't take it off and put it back on, once that Fentynal gel hits the air, it dries and doesn't work. Make sure you dispose of the used patch and it's cover properly incase you have kids in the house who may get ahold of it. Just like you would keep your oral meds out of the way, same wtih this type of medication, though you need to dispose of the cover when you put on a new patch and the old patch in a safe mannor so no one can accidently come in contact with any residue that may be left on the cover or the old patch.

I'll be checking on you to see how you are doing and I DO hope that you give this medication a try. K?

Here's wishing you a good spirit,
tk

Old 08-04-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
(female)

aaronon HB User

tk,

He only gave me one. I freaked out, I'm sure...because I always do detailed searching on what I'm given and what it will work with and what it won't, etc. I threw it away.

For the last 7 years, up until the beginning of this year, I never took anything. Then I began taking Vicodine for two weeks and then stopping. Then starting again. My body becomes easily adaptable to meds and after about 2 weeks, they don't work as well. The doctor gave me that one to try, but even before he gave it to me,(he's mentioned it before), I had already looked it up and did some research on it and was turning him down. I just don't know how that slow release thing works, and if it even does. What happens if it lets it all go in one fell swoop?! ER city!

I'm such a putz! I know! That "through the skin" thing just scares me. I will stick to what I'm doing now, I guess. I hate this illness!!!!!

Thanks tk! I'll be fine!

a

Old 08-05-2005, 04:02 PM   #12
(female)

bilij HB User

Hi TK, I've been off the board for awhile but I did read where your
son was sick. I've been praying for you and your son and would like
to hear how you both are doing now. You are greatly missed on the
fibro board. Your OLD Alabama friend.
Bilij

Old 09-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #13
(female)

lisa61 HB User
Talking Re: Duragesic Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangin View Post
Hi aaronon,

I don't know if we have met but if not, nice to meet you.

I was on the duragessic patch for 2 years. I started at a low dose and ended up taking the 100 mg. I consider it a wonderful medication. I did not experience any type of nausea, sleepiness, or dizzyness.

It was probably the best pain medication that I took for my fibro.IMO The reason I stopped takiing it was that I didn't want to deal with the patches any more and since I have such sensitive skin it was hard on my skin. I did find out until after the fact that there is a spray you can use before you put it on that keeps your skin healthy. I also wanted to see where my pain level was.

When taking the Duragessic brand, I never had a problem with them staying on. After trying a few different places I ended up putting them on my lower back.

Of course, everyone reacts differently to meds. For me, I was very happy with them.

Another nice thing about the patch was not having to take pills. I even didn't have to take many BT meds for pain.

Good luck, I hope they work for you as well as they did for me if you choose to use them.

Peace and love, Janet

Old 09-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #14
(female)

lisa61 HB User

Hi everyone Im new at this.recently started on the fentynal patches had to up the dose a little bit but now they work GREAT for my pain but after about 2 months of using them I started to blister really bad wherever I put them.Pharm. and doc say its the adhesive Ive developed an allergy to.I really dont want to quit using them since they work so well but their just tearing my skin up. Does anyone know of anything I can use so I can continue to use this great pain med? Thanks! Lisa61

Closed Thread