It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

hummingbirdhope HB User
relafan

Does anyone take this for there treatment of fibro, and is it effective? Just recieved new prescrip for this since I reacted to the Feldine. Dr did not seemed very pleased, but hey I can not take something that I am allergic too. He also told me again today, that I would always be in pain there was no cure and I was just going to have to accept this. Well I was not very pleased with his attitude, why is he sending me for PT and injections if there is nothing going to help. I wish sometimes these DR would have to feel what I feel daily just for one day. They do not realize or have any empathy on how this has effected my life. Yes I know I have to make changes but, I am trying to do everything they suggest and trust me it is hard to completely change your life. Well I vented enough and I am tired so Thanks for listening. God bless

Old 08-02-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User
Re: relafan

hello there, good morning. i just did a quick search on relafen and my gosh it does not sound to good. it has an awful lot of side effects. you know a doctor that i went to go see before i found one that would help me with pain meds, gave me a scricpt for nortriyptaline (sp?) and it had some similar side effects. i got cotton mouth all the time which was very annoying as well as rapid heart beat. another thing that bothered me was the fact that it said- weight gain and craveing for food especially sweets, thats the last thing i need right now since i am the heaviest i have ever been without being pregnant.
anyway, i wonder why your doc has this attitude. maybe he has not done his homework on fibro. i hope that you can find another doctor that can actually understand what you are going through. i was very fortunate to finally find a family practice office that treats me as an individual and understands the pain i am in. of course i have already been through 2 pain management doctors.
do you have any pain doctors in your area that you can go to?
have a good day
robin (girl75)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 07:10 AM   #3
(female)

hummingbirdhope HB User

This dr does have a shabby attitude. I really do not care for his attitude it is like well i tested you for lupus, and rhematoid arthritis you do not have that, there is just no cure for you. But on his defense I understand a little on the medication he does not want to start me on narcotics, which I really do not want, because of the addiction factor. You know maybe it is me and not wanting to accept what is wrong. The dr did tell me to buy a book on this so I would understand what to expect and what is going on. I don't know any more, I told my husband I am tired of running to Dr offices to hear the same thing. I am going to have to adjust and hope things work out. I do have another appt with a different rheumy dr at the end of the month, if things do not get better i guess i will start all over again. Alot of things going on and I admit I may be taking things the wrong way but I guess that is the denial and anger modes kicking in. Girl 75 thanks, you know i do believe there is a reason for everything and all in all I am lucky compared to alot of people, I just need to keep remembering this. But it is so good to be able to get on this board and hear what others think and what they went through, maybee some day I will be able to give someone some advise from my experiences. Hey thanks again.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Hi Hummungbird,

I wrote a post about you going to a new rheumy and the feldene, etc. on your other thread. I hope you don't mind me jumping in again. When it comes to doctors attitudes there is no excuse to treat you badly. Having an allergic reaction to a drug could have led to serious consequences.

I really do not understand this doctor. As Girl75 (Robin) pointed out Relafen is not the best drug for pain and has many side effects. There are many other meds you can take for pain that are not narcotic. IMO I fyou do need these, there are doctors that will.

Hummingbird, it is really important that you have a good relationship with your doctor since you will be dealing with them on an on going basis. I know it gets old trying new docs, I am to the point that I hate the smell of doctors offices, even if I am taking someone else. After 11 years you learn that it is just what you have to do and never settle for a doctor you are not comfortable with.

There is a Fibromyalgia Association that you could contact on the internet and perhaps find a doctor who is in your area. There are some that take an interest in Fibro and really know their stuff. To tell a patient that they will always be in pain is not the best bed side manner. A doctor should be telling you that they will do what ever they can to make you fell better. This doc sounds that they are either ignorant about fibro or just do not care enough to put energy into it.

Please, see if you can find a PM doc. They do not always give narcotics and they usually will have the latest information on dealing with chronic painful illnesses. The doctor I went to was for acupuncture, chiro, and also had no problem giving me meds for my pain. I told him that I had to get my life back, he understands since he deals with many people in the same boat. It took me a long itme to find him so there is hope for everyone. I called around and asked the doctors office if they treated many Fibro patients and if there were boundaries as to the type of medicine they prescribe.

Hopefully your next rhuemy will be the one. Don't give up and make sure they treat you without respect. You are not a guinea pig nor someone that they should give medication to and then send you away.

Good luck, I check your progress everyday. Something eventually will work out and all will be well. Just keep trying and be positive.

Keep us posted.

Peace and Love, Hangin

Old 08-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #5
(female)

hummingbirdhope HB User

Thanks hangin, I really do not thingk this doctor know s anyhting about fibr, he just gives arthritis meds which i do have arthritis also, but ineed something for the other pain and the stinging burning numb problems I am having. I am going back for a fu to my family dr and see what she states since she officially got her dx verified. I do not know of any pain management drs in this area, but hey I will keep checking. This Dr just sounds like he wants to take my lively hood away. I have always been active and have worked since i was 17, I guess I have type A personality, if that one is the on the go high strung. You know it is hard to except what they are saying, but the visits are still scheduled, one with my family dr, one with a shrink and themn back to him next friday, i am hoping one of these otheres will step in and do something. WE WILL SEE IF NOT i AM GOING TO THE OTHER dr AT THE END OF THE MONTH, WHAT IS ONE MORE. thanks for your input,i do appreciate it. you know i have been co to dr forever with these symptoms i guess i can keep on until someone treats me properly. god bless and stay in touch

Old 08-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Dear Hummungbird,

Hang in there, eventually it will work out and someone will help you. Try not to look at any doctor taking away your lively hood, that is up to you. No one has a say in that except yourself.

Good luck sweetie, it will be ok no matter what. Fibro is something that is very do-able and you can lead a very full life.

Peace and love, Hangin

Closed Thread