It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
(female)

hummingbirdhope HB User
What meds have been effective

I know this is a personal question but can you tell me what meds have been effective for all of you with FMS. I just keep getting switched and nothing is helping the pain. Thanks

Old 08-04-2005, 11:11 AM   #2

CherBearC HB User
Re: What meds have been effective

I'm in the same boat as you are. I've been switched from med to med but I have found one that does reduce my level of pain. I use Duragesic Patch 25mcg. I change my patch every 2 days and it seems to keep my pain somewhat under control. I also take Darvocet for break-through pain as needed. As far as supplements I take a Magnesium/Malic Acid combo. It helps with the muscle spasms and weakness. I know of many, many FM'ers who use the mag/mal combo. It does take some time before you'll notice improvement. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbirdhope
I know this is a personal question but can you tell me what meds have been effective for all of you with FMS. I just keep getting switched and nothing is helping the pain. Thanks
Hi Hummingbird, Don't get discouraged. With FM there is no magic pill or treatment since everyone is so different.

They switched me for years until I found something that worked, doesn't take the pain away totally, but makes it livable. There are some wonderful days that my pain is barely there....those are good times.

I go to a PM doc and he is the only one I trust. I take oxycontin 40 mg 3 x a day and soma for spasms. Without the oxy I am in bed and unable to move since my whole body burns. I also have two herniated discs in my lower neck so he gives me shots for this.

I also go to acupunture and a chiropractor. THis releases a lot of my stress.

It might take a while before a doc will put you on something strong since they have to have a relationship with you in order to protect you and themselves. It all depends on the doc and how they feel about certain medications and FM.

After years of blood tests and research, my doc found out that for some people who have FM they have Human Growth Hormone deficiency. Well, I had none, minus, zip, zero. As you get older the level does go down but you should maintain some in your system. It also has something to do with the pituatary gland.

I have to take shots everday and since I have been on this med I can get out of bed with some energy. Before I had no energy and this med helps me tremendously. The only drawback is that some insurance companies do not pay for it and it is very expensive. I battled with mine for a year and they denied me, no more appeals. I am now going through an organization that strictly deals with people with that problem. Anyway, this may bore you but this is a med that has worked for me.

As Cherbear said amino acids can help, I also use chelated calcium for the terrible leg pain and cramps. It helps a lot. You take it at night and it is cheap.

Keep searching and telling your docs you needs. Eventually you will find the right doc and the right med. There is also something that beats all the meds, exercise. I know it is hard since when you are in pain it is hard to move. However, it is one of the best pain killers. IMO

Hang in there, hope you feel better.

Peace and love, Janet

Old 08-04-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I agree with Hangin, exercise does help but it is hard to do sometimes. I use muscle relaxers 6mgs at night and 10mgs of ambien for sleep. It seems if I get a fairly good nights sleep I can tolerate the fibro pain most days. Now that I have my lupus joint pain under control with prednisone I just load up on 800mg prescription ibuprophen if the fm pain gets too bad. I also do mag/malic and calcium and selenium and Omega3 oil and a vitamin I have been trying called adrenal stress end. It is so hard to say what helps and what doesn't since the pain is different all the time.

My rhuemy has ordered a sleep study for me which I will do Aug. 17. Sometime in the future I am sure I will see a PM doc but right now I'm holding my own with what I use now.

I am also 56 and I have quit working so when I need to sit, I sit! The fatigue is the worse for me. I have figured out that if I do something one day then the next day needs to be a day of rest or else I'm really done in.

I know this is long, but one more point. I am also hypothyroid and take synthroid 112mcg and I think I may have found the dose that helps me. Without the synthroid I would not be able to make it, the fatigue would be unbearable.

Peace and pain free days to us all
Glojer

Old 08-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
(female)

hummingbirdhope HB User

Thanks, I currently taking Relafen, Flexaril, and justed satrted on 300mg of Neuroitin, but my pain in my back and neck is pretty bad at times unbearable. The muscle spasms are very few now mostly in my back. We will see if the neuroitin helps, so far nothing has helped the pain. Thanks

Old 08-09-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

i will list the meds i use:
cymbalta , one a day in the morning
elavil, for a good nights sleep
soma, muscle relaxer
lortab, pain med
i also take tons of vitamins and supplements, iron being one since im anemic
have had two vitamin b shots in the last month which i asked for , for the fatigue but have noticed that it has ALSO helped some with the pain which totally surprised me.
have had a thyroid sonogram and am waiting for the results.
jen

Old 08-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #7
(female)

rachellepeters HB User

Cymbalta.....took it for about 1 month (on and off) Haven't take them for 4 weeks.....still have no pain! I suffered for 8 years, I still have the tender points/trigger points but I don't ache at all like I used to

Closed Thread